1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Your other hobbies

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by sprinke, Dec 20, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    So, besides photography, what else do you folks like to do with your spare time?

me: reading, knitting, snowboarding, singing, playing piano, video games (mostly puzzles or stuff like Portal). Recently bought a ukulele and am learning that. Not that I have a lot of spare time with the 4.5 year old boy in the house.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My hobby is taking pictures of people doing other hobbies. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    If I had another 'hobby', other than photography, then I think it would be eking out a life on the streets with my wit and guile alone....as this is definitely where my better half would banish me to :blush: My problem is that photography is more an obsession than a hobby....but not sure I'm alone in this? :polling: So just this single obsession is enough to test her patience with thank you!.

• Like Like x 1
  4. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I used to play guitar a lot. I made my own album in my basement and sent songs to songwriting contests. When it became obvious my wife and mom were my biggest fans, I realized it was time to move on. Photography is also a great right brain activity, so it's a lot of fun too. We also like to snow ski when we can, and travel to national parks when we can afford it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Trout fishing is perhaps my oldest hobby. Its the good company and opportunity to spend some precious time in alpine country that keeps me going again an again. These days it's almost exclusively catch and release....it is a practice that we have taught all the kids too.

Music is a passion too that has sprung 25 years of playing various instruments....Bass guitar first, 6 string guitar and the Didjeridoo.

But without doubt, my most cherished hobby is snowboarding. I've played football, cricket and soccer all at club level...but nothing gives me the pure joy that freeriding deep and steep powder does. Ive rode most Victorian resorts, New Zealand, Europe and Japan. After a week in Vegas over this coming new years I'm heading off to Canada for 6 weeks to ride the mountains I've dreamt of riding ever since I took it up....Whistler, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Whitewater Nelson and Mount Baker and throw in some Heliboarding in mix while I'm at it :)

I consider myself extremely lucky that on this trip I will have the opportunity to enjoy what will be for me, a snowboarding and photographic experience of a lifetime.

Funny, it kinda feels like a passing of the baton to some degree, I'm edging close to 40 and my knees are sketchy and my hip is shot, and even though I will still take lines the younger boys shy away from my better days on the board are behind me, I only have a few last big rides left in me.......photography will take that baton an d carry me into my old days when all those big drops, falls, breaks and strains really take their toll.

;)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've been a bowler for about 15 years. I average 200 or so. I also have a few telescopes. I enjoy looking at planets and star clusters. I also took up stunt kite flying, but it hasn't stuck.

7. michaelsmp

michaelsmp Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011
    New Jersey
    Watches and taking pictures of watches.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Playing ice hockey, volleyball, and being an auto-racing fan :cool:

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I spend a lot of time writing video games, which I suppose is some combination of hobby and career now. Play guitar occasionally, too, and occasionally modify a car.

10. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Music has always been the big one for me, especially the electronic variety. These days I probably spend more time building and repairing synthesizers (and guitar gizmos) than I do playing them. I have a large record collection as well, and while I still enjoy the hunt, I try to keep acquisitions to a minimum so it doesn't overwhelm my abode.

Unfortunately, I've recently become addicted to mechanical wristwatches. What a pointless and expensive hobby! I'm hoping to settle on just a few modest ones soon and be done with it. So far, I have narrowly avoided buying watchmakers tools. That's the last thing I need with all the electronics projects I have going, but the temptation to tinker is great.

Sports-wise it was skiing and then scuba diving. I build houses for work though, so I get my fill of exercise and being outdoors.

• Like Like x 2
  11. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Do you use m 4/3 for watch photos? I'd like to see a thread for this.

edit: found it https://www.mu-43.com/f88/watch-photo-thread-11099/

I tried but I don't think I have the right lens for the best results. Good watch photos are not so easy.

edit: don't need a new lens. need a new watch ;)

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    fitness, badminton but photography and videography is by far the most time consuming and money pulling

• Like Like x 2
  13. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    If I list want I want to, I'll be nominated for the douchenozzle Hall of Fame, let's just say music, as in performance, arrangement and orchestration. Anything with strings as long as there's no bow (guitar, bass, string bass, mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, even Chapman Stick).

And, part of the pursuit of photography involves other great things, like climbing and backpacking.

Oh, and boring people to death with stories. That's a big one for me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Seasonal activities taking advantage of where I Live: Cycling, trail running, hiking/backpacking, snowshoeing, windsurfing, snowboarding, gardening. Racing days are long in the past. May get back into Nordic skiing (off trail, back-country) & snowshoe only on those real, real cold days.

Year round activities: 'ukulele, reading. Weather has been less than ideal recently. Picked up a Kindle Touch. Great way to check out some new authors and re-read some classics for minimal $s. Adding to an addiction or bad habit of collecting reading material faster than I can read them. Used books stores (virtual & real) & now the Kindle keep me hooked.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I love working out and running. Due to my bad knees I only resort to running on the treadmill these days. Been a gym rat for the last ten years... which means I've been dieting for the last ten years too.

And my other hobby is watching movies... I've loved cinematography since I was a young buck.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I don't know if it's some form of self punishment . But I love winter walking, mostly around the Cumbrian fells that are close to my home. And if the weather is bad, I like it more.
    I've been caught in a white out twice. The first time was scary. But just crawl into my storm shelter and sit it out. Second time was at night ! The worst thing about that was having Buster (my wee terrier) curled up asleep on my lap, snoring and having very bad eye watering wind !
    Not at all pleasant!
    I've noticed though , I've never been alone. I've always spotted another mad person at some point on my walk.

• Like Like x 2
  17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I go exploring places like these...
    4795711480_c982532081_b.

And bodyboarding slabs like these...
    4426606278_97e7d86f2a_b.

• Like Like x 5
  18. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Shooting, gundog training and fly fishing. I love walking on the moors in Devon as well but do less of that at the moment as I am bedding in a new hip and knee and waiting for another knee ... all self inflicted but thank you anyone who momentarily felt sorry for me ... :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I love Disc Golf (year round), computers (I have a new Motorola Xoom tablet), reading (Nook), music and woodworking. More than enough to keep me busy.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
  20. taphapy

taphapy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I tap dance. Surprise!

• Like Like x 1