1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Your opinion of DP Review

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by johnvanr, Oct 17, 2013.

1. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    They seem to be constantly changing their focus, adding a store and stuff.

I'm not sure I like that site anymore. Wonder if those changes would have taken place if Phil Askey was still involved.

What do you think?

2. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    I understand the interest directed towards mobile photography, but they are implementing it all wrong imo. WHY can't you choose the mobile phones they tested in the "studio comparison tool"? The comparison of the dynamic range within the reviews also missing a lot of options. It seems like they started on something but cant organize it well, and without finishing jumping onto other things. Lately seems like so many of the product reviews have been neglected, such as samsung nx300, pentax q7, gf6, canon s120, nex 3n... just to name a few. Lots of mistakes, no proof reading, some of the things that i noticed recently. Kinda sad, for such a site with potential to what seems like is going downhill :)

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I like more content when I want more content. I think they would have been better off spawning a sister site dedicated to cell phone cameras and other things.

It is still one of the best "review" sites around, at least when they review the cameras. mFT however is actually not their main focus at all, they go buy what sells and that is dSLRs.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    DPR, unlike most of the hobby related web sites, is first and foremost a profit seeking business, owned by Amazon. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that their editorial content is focused on what will generate the most views, which today means (in order) Canon and Nikon DSLRs, cell phones, other DSLRs, and finally mirrorless and P&S.

The entire design of the web site is designed to maximize page views, and the number of ads displayed. Have you ever found it annoying that to read a review (or "preview review") you click one link which takes you to a page from which you have to click yet another link to get to the actual content? Yep, more page clicks, and more ads. Notice how many of their articles have a tiny bit of content, then require another page view to see a little bit more, followed by yet another click.....

Traditional magazines and newspapers generally have at least some level of independence between the business (advertising) side and the editorial side. I doubt that DPR, or any other blog site, for that matter, has such a division. Canon and Nikon would appear to spend more money on ads than every other brand combined. Is it any surprise they get so much coverage, and their cameras tend to get reviewed sooner?

I don't think the content of their tests is biased, but I do wonder if what products get reviewed, and how quickly, may be. And as kahren suggests, the focus on mobile phones seems to be taking resources away from reviews of "real" cameras. And I've always thought their rating system is ridiculous. You can't reduce a complex device like a camera to a single number and think that's meaningful for all users.

Djarum, they don't "buy" anything. Their review samples are provided by the manufacturers.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I believe, based on similar threads at DPR, that they would vehemently object to this categorization. Simon says they've significantly ramped up their mirrorless coverage, and several major cameras like the 1DX have not yet been covered.

Personally I hate their color scheme and don't like reading reviews across 20 pages.

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I just skip to the last page for summary. That's is all I ever read in terms of reviews at DPR and it's a great Cole's notes version of the whole thing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    The best part of their reviews and announcements, etc is the user comments section, those are freaking hilarious, great entertainment!

8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Like what happened to a great many sites, once they hit a certain critical mass it looses its "magic" and becomes a waterdowned, political or sponsored driven site (atlasf1.com --> autosport.com, autopia.net (before an asian bought it, anandtech.com and least but maybe the best example abovetopsecret.com).

Like the others, still good but never as good as it once was. Flame wars do have an impact in all of them. But I do find the "The Corporate" take over almost always dilutes the contents and zeal of the original concept.

Reviews have come down to a crawl.
    Forum has been boring with the same thing said over and over.
    Their mobile section (and I get why they ventured in that direction) is simply blah. Nothing that isn't found in my other sites online. I don't see a single reason to ever read their mobile site section.

The overall rankings (awards) frankly to ME often don't make sense.