Your most used Focal Length and advice on Voightlander

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by nagual, Feb 2, 2014.

1. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Please advice on my new buy. I am in quite a dilemma of what to get Voightlander NOKTON 17.5mm or 25mm?

Apparently some professional shooters choose 25mm

What will be your first lens to get if you start shooting videos? Appreciate your time to answer, thanks.
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    How about just shooting with what you have, and figuring out what focal length works for you before dropping 1000 dollars? It's not like you have to use manual focus lenses to shoot video.
  3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    ^^ I think mattia gave you the right advice above. If your having to ponder what FL then maybe your not quite there yet. Personally it would be the 25mm for me every time if given choice of just one.
  4. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks guys, seems like a sound advice ... it just I played with this wonderful lens in the store and it makes you want to get it because of the rendering ...
  5. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    get a nice EOS to m4/3 adapter, and search the internet for some nice legacy lenses cheap! Then get C/Y to EOS adapter, M42 to EOS adapter, Nikon to EOS etc...
    Build your collection with cheap manual focus lenses. If primary intent is video, you'r better of with nice primes that you can get for 10 to 50 dollars than plunging for one lens 1000 bux...

There is also the focal reducer route that you can take into account in making your primes arsenal.

Get an ultrawide native lens, and the rest will be cheap legacy lenses...

Instead of buying the voigtlander my advice is:

Contax Zeiss 50mm F1.4
    Contax Zeiss 85mm F1.4
    Focal reducer EOS to m4/3
    C/Y to EOS adapter
    Panasonic pancake 12-32mm

all that will be maybe better than the voigtander imho.

Personnaly I went with pentax lenses for legacy and I build a small collection when they were really cheap...
  6. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    25 would be good I think slr magic 25 is better than the voight and cheaper
  7. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    not sure if you use LR or how bridge works since I never work in bridge :) only LR :)

but sort your images by exif data and see what focal length you use the most and like the most if you like the stuff you shoot the most then get a nice lens in that range if you find you shoot in say 75 range all the time but don't like it ask why ? or vice versa

I know out of the CV lens the 17 would be my first choice but I know one of my buddies would say the 45 would be his we are both full time pro togs to :)

for me the CV 25 is nice but very soft in the lower f-stop value so while its nice and I think for video shows less of the softness almost becomes a good thing in still I would not want it
    also if you are looking for vid ? that might change things
  8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I like the angle of view of the 17.5 and purchased that lens before the 42.5, however I'm surprised at how much and how successfully I've used the 42.5. I also have the 12 SLR Magic, so I'm fortunate to be able to use the tool I want, though I'm an old school '35mm' guy from the film days.
  9. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I have both, and am using the 25 more. I bought the 17.5 first, and liked it so much there wasn't any doubt about getting the 25 too when I decided I needed a 25. I'd start with the 25, and seriously consider the oly 17. I like the oly 17's manual focus feature, and it's fast focus. The oly 25 just doesn't interest me because it's manual focus doesn't compare to the oly 17. The dutch comparison of the 25s are misleading, because the review handicaps the Voightlander by ignoring the F0.95, and starting at F1.8 - the Oly's maximum aperture.

You'd be happy with either Voightlander, and the lens should last a long time.

*Sorry - just noticed the film making thread
  10. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    This will greatly depend on the type of video shooting you are going to perform. If you want a lot of hand-held shots, then a shorter focal length will help with stability but can also mean you have to be closer and risk some lens distortion of the subject. However, long lenses (which are much more widely available) will certainly mean you'll need a stabilization system of some sort. I also would encourage you to just start shooting and figure out based on your results what you will ultimately wind up with.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks perpetualjon, trying with my 12-40 to see what kind of footage I will get. Would be nice though if you include some specific numbers for the focal length
  12. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Sure. Well there are focal lengths that fall under different categories, such as "wide", "standard", and "telephoto". In the u4/3 world, a typical standard lens is around 25mm as it equates to the 50mm lens in a full-frame camera. 50mm is considered close to the perception of the human eye so that is around a standard focal length. Taking steps below or above that focal length usually moves you into the other two categories. Here is a couple of good examples of how focal length affects distortion in your subjects:

Additionally, wide angle lenses can be used to affect stability as demonstrated in this video:

Still, all of this may not matter if your style of shooting is going for a different look. Shoot with what you have and use a critical eye. I'd say it's taken me almost 3 years go arrive at the best lenses for what I do.