Your LR4 defaults

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by vtsteevo, Jan 5, 2013.

1. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey guys, I recently purchased lightroom and downloaded a set of free presets. However all of them are special use, and the out of the box "auto-tone" preset doesn't really work all that well.

I am curious what settings does everyone use to make their images pop (contrast, saturation, etc), without going overboard as a default for all imported images. Not on a case by case basis, but as a safe default without overdoing it. Is there such a thing?

2. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    After messing around a bit more with Lightroom I really wasn't able to find a default set of Contrast/Vibrance/Clarity that works well for all imported photos.

By the lack of replies I figure most people do not have a default that does this?
  3. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I do have a preset that is set to apply on import. I took a shot that represents the time of day and conditions I shoot the most in and adjusted it to an optimum level for exposure, black, white point, contrast, saturation and sharpness.

I created a preset from these settings and assigned it to run on import.

This gives me a starting point and I usually have to only do some minor tweaking to maximize my shots after import. I use a sharpness value of 35 and rarely need to move it. That said, I always spend a significant amount of time with my favorites before I post them. But this preset still saves time.

There are presets out there that supposedly give you the 'oly colors' but I didn't find them very special.

I then use a variety of presets that I found in cyber-space-land for specialty effects and don't really have anything to recommend since that's a pretty subjective area.
  4. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
  5. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    I don't use defaults, except for copyright info. I have a small group of presets to use as starting points for things like sharpening and noise reduction, but each image is different so I go through all the sliders one at a time and process each image by hand.