Your LR4 defaults

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by vtsteevo, Jan 5, 2013.

1. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey guys, I recently purchased lightroom and downloaded a set of free presets. However all of them are special use, and the out of the box "auto-tone" preset doesn't really work all that well.

I am curious what settings does everyone use to make their images pop (contrast, saturation, etc), without going overboard as a default for all imported images. Not on a case by case basis, but as a safe default without overdoing it. Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    After messing around a bit more with Lightroom I really wasn't able to find a default set of Contrast/Vibrance/Clarity that works well for all imported photos.

By the lack of replies I figure most people do not have a default that does this?

3. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I do have a preset that is set to apply on import. I took a shot that represents the time of day and conditions I shoot the most in and adjusted it to an optimum level for exposure, black, white point, contrast, saturation and sharpness.

I created a preset from these settings and assigned it to run on import.

This gives me a starting point and I usually have to only do some minor tweaking to maximize my shots after import. I use a sharpness value of 35 and rarely need to move it. That said, I always spend a significant amount of time with my favorites before I post them. But this preset still saves time.

There are presets out there that supposedly give you the 'oly colors' but I didn't find them very special.

I then use a variety of presets that I found in cyber-space-land for specialty effects and don't really have anything to recommend since that's a pretty subjective area.

4. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
  5. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I don't use defaults, except for copyright info. I have a small group of presets to use as starting points for things like sharpening and noise reduction, but each image is different so I go through all the sliders one at a time and process each image by hand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.