Your First Camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xanaduflipper, May 23, 2011.

1. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Not sure if there's already a thread on this but thought it would be fun to know what everyone's first cameras were.

My first camera experience was borrowing my mums Kodak Instamatic

My first proper camera was a gift for my 18th birthday and was an Olympus Superzoom 110 (38-110mm zoom).

I still have it and it works fine...if only I could be bothered to use film!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Six-20 Folding Brownie, second model

First camera I bought was the Six-20 Folding Brownie, second model in about 1950, I do not still have it but here is what it looked like:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Bought mine with proceeds from my first student loan. Broke the lens mount shroud after about a year or so. I'd love to find another for a reasonable price, just to have.

[​IMG]

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My first real camera I can think of was the Minolta SRT-100. Not the SRT-101 which seems to have been the first for many... I don't know why, but the SRT-100 seems a lot rarer. It was fully manual and did not have any batteries except the mercury for the light meter.

Minolta-Minolta-SRT-100.

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    First camera I remember using was the parents' Kodak Instamatic (about age 10).

The first camera I was given was a Kodak Disc (about age 12).

In late high school/early college I got a Nikon P&S, the TeleTouch 300. This is the only 35mm film camera I've ever had. It's still in my possession, but hasn't been used in over a decade.

In late 2000, I got my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot S100.

Followed a few years later by a Canon Powershot SD200, and then we swapped cameras with my mom and got her Canon Powershot SD870 IS, which had better video (useful with a new baby in the house).

Stepped up to the Panasonic Lumix FZ35 superzoom in August 2009. This is a really great P&S and helped me improve my photography skills immensely.

Bought the GH2 last month, and it's reinvigorated my interest in photography! Hooray!

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Pentax auto 110 with 24mm and 50mm plus the flash. I would have been 9 or 10.
    Always done the small thing with cameras, was never thrilled by full size monsters.

7. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    First one all my own was a Minolta XG-1. I learned on my dad's SLR when I was in high school, an old Pentax, I think, then got the Minolta as a gift when I was in college.

XG-1-image.

That one was lost or stolen at some point, and I replaced it with a very similar XG-M, which I still have, although the electronics are not functioning right. I got another XG-1 on ebay a few years back, which my son is learning to use now in a high school photography class, shooting and developing B&W film.

He thinks it's a PITA having to mess with all those chemicals and hassle. He thinks he will stick to digital in the future. More time for Playstation and YouTube.

Boys and their toys...

-Steve

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    One of these guys - an early 1960s Canon half-frame (predecessor to 4/3). I inherited it from my brother who inherited it from my Dad, who must have bought it about when it first came out, because I had it by 1968 or 1969 or so when I was about 10. I still have stuff I shot with that little camera. Its what got me into photography...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5752587572/" title="demiee17 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"455" height="348" alt="demiee17"></a>

-Ray

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Kodak Instamatic 44

3783082232_ba023cf581.

I think I was about 10

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Big rush of nostalgia, this thread.

The first-first was a Smena, bakelite soviet camera. I was what? Eight years old, so it's around 1962. Uncle Vania, the photog' in the family, offered it to me. The patent-leather brown case was hand-stitched and smelt funny. So did the bakelite body. It had a central shutter, and symbols for sun, overcast, etc. I didn't do much with it--overcomplicated for a kid, I guess.
    Here it is--thanks Wikimedia Commons.
    1060_1086_1090_1086_smena1.

So I used more, a lot actually, the Kodak Instamatic 100 my father gave me. It had no aroma, no settings. Welcome to colour P&S, but also to the square format.

When 14, the mail brought me back to "serious" cameras: the uncle sent me the ultimate soviet rangefinder: FED 3 with the Industar f/2.8 "Л" for lanthane, and a good users' guide in Russian. Great camera, built as a T-34. First Francs earned as a stringer when 16. Learnt who was Friedrich Erich Dzerjinskiy (FED) and this "orphanage" factory. Couldn't touch the thing any more. I kept the great FED lens but purchased a very old Zorki Leica III copy. It had separate viewfinder and RF, but it was smaller, lighter than the FED. Earned my first exclusive photo story. This was the time of the long-rolls Tri-X hand-fed in metal cassettes to save on film...
    Here again, I found the Fed3 and the correct lens on Wikimedia Commons.
    Fed-3_53mm.

Then the student and part-time stringer saved up for the new Leica CL, complete with its 40/2 and 90/4. And my first slides--Agfachrome 50...

This thread makes me realize why I got immediately hooked on mu43: same type of limited, imperfect but light cameras hanging around the left shoulder hidden under the jacket, with perhaps a spare tiny lens in the breast pocket...

• Like Like x 4
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My dad had a Brownie. My first one was a Kodak Instamatic with the cube flashes, then an instamatic 110.

Kodak-Instamatic-X-15.

But my first "serious" camera was a Pentax ME Super I bought myself in high school with money from my first job. [​IMG]

Though ME Super had a 50/2.0 lens (not the 1.7 shown) and I also had (and still have) some kind of Vivitar zoom. Man, the VF on that ME Super was sweet compared to most of the VFs on digital cameras.

I still have the ME super. The Kodak's are long gone. I think I remember my older brother firing off flash cubes without the camera. He might have even taken apart flash cubes to use the chemicals in some of his pyro contraptions.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yashica 35 - Saved my paper route monies and bought it when I was in the Sixth Grade.
    yashimagroup.

• Like Like x 1
  13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    My first camera?

Anyone here old enough to remember an Agfa Clack?? A present from an aunt, who brought it back from Germany, circa 1955.

And, lo and behold, I just found it in a cabinet upstairs!

5752687434_05da1a33c6.
    My First Camera by crsnydertx, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's sweet. :D I'm certainly not old enough to remember it, but I have heard of it.

15. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Nice Thread Idea!

Here we are... had to find suitable images.

Left to right. Still have the Konica III

1.-kodak Duoflex used from Uncle Bill 1960. 2. Kodak Flashfun Hawkeye, 10th Birthday Present 1962. 3. Konica III, bought used at age 14 -1966.

Attached Files:

16. LOL, looks like I'm the only one so far whose first camera was a digital, and a Panasonic at that, circa 2002

panasoniclc20.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Whipper-snapper. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I've posted this one before, but here is my first camera, a Leica Ic. My dad picked it up c. 1950 when he lived in Belgium before immigrating to Canada. I have no idea what possessed him to give it to me when I was a kid. I still have the camera, it still works and I have an adapter that can mount the lens on my mu-43 cameras. :thumbup:

20100906-P1030251.

• Like Like x 1
  19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    My dad's Olympus Pen - 15+ years old by the time it got to me in the mid-eighties - has a sticky shutter now :-(

pop09_pen.

20. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    My first camera was digital as well. I got it second-hand from a cousin and I still have it here next to me :smile:

Canon_PowerShot-350_L.

An impressive 0.3 mega pixels, 640 x 480 resolution images.