Your Favorite/Top 5 or 13 images for 2019

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
Mod note: we had two similar threads; you can post 5 or 13 images here, with or without text; your choice. Apologies for any confusion.
--

Wow! I can't find anyone having started this. Please let me know if I'm wrong. I'm eager to see everyone's best. These are my favorites. 2019 was a prolific year so selecting favorites was quite difficult. My year began with Crdome’s Minimally Magical Mystery Trip. Along the way I visited @Web-Betty, @deepaqua, @CharlieL, and @Bif. That was quite a thrill.

In July I explored the the possibility of relocating to Albuquerque. I have done so and am looking forward to its infinite photographic opportunities in the new year.

48569663591_b3d7a73214_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Doña Eufemia Reststop, NM by Michael Atwell - Chrome, on Flickr

47675953432_09b021f7bb_o.jpg
National Memorial for Peace and Justice v by Michael Atwell - Chrome, on Flickr

48217489717_aa0e07b5fa_o.jpg
Vince, Barnilllo NM by Michael Atwell - Chrome, on Flickr

48217486687_8b901ca528_o.jpg
Phillip ii by Michael Atwell - Chrome, on Flickr

48217929976_afc1a55b7f_o.jpg
Touching the burning sky by Michael Atwell - Chrome, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
After seeing so many YouTube videos and Articles of Top 10 this and Top 10 that ... let's make it 13 of YOUR favorite picture that you made in 2019, it doesn't have to be the best images just the ones you love the most, even add a bit of background for why you love it so much. I was thinking 2 pictures for each major type of photography: landscape, action, wildlife, portrait, street photography, macro, and one extra bonus picture of odd type.

For me, 2019 was the year of wildlife photography, where I have dipped my toes here and there in 2018 but since getting the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 it feels like Ia forgot I love Landscape and Macro photography. But there will be a mixture of both:

One of my first favorites of 2019, it was a foggy wintery morning and I was so mesmerized by the blue-tinted fog I found this spot (on my way from work) where the clouds were breaking up and you could barely see further than 20 meters.

Going to work, right across my entrance door, the hair cutting was going on through a snow blizzard, just love the stillness of the inside with the chaos of the outside.

It's not often to see snow in South West of UK, less so heavy snow like the blizzard named Beast from the East. I love this picture because it shows quite a common street un very unusual setting, I have this multi-shot panorama printed and displayed at a local pub just up this road.

While it's typical to have heavy clouds, lots of cloud coverage and rain in England I am still mesmerized by some of the views one can get with a bit of luck and waking up very early in the morning to climb up a big hill.

My first close encounter with a deer, after looking for them for 2 weeks, and an adorable one at that who didn't seem to care much of the tree branch pressing on its head, though the encounter didn't last long it was wonderful to be within 10 meters of them.

The judge might not have liked the solar covers from a farm on the left side but there's nothing I can do about that and for me it doesn't ruin the beautiful sunset I got to see right at the end of August.

While going back home from work I have noticed a big bird flying quite low on a field on the side of the road and I was curious what it was doing ... for someone who lived in big cities most of my life I have little experience first hand with wildlife ... and I was so taken when I saw this majestic bird of prey hovering mid-air like a helicopter and searching for prey below, swooping lower and lower until it would dive-bomb into the tall grass field.

This was the closest I have ever been to such a big bird, it was standing right next to its kill, a bunny on the right side.

I don't do often enough street photography but I love it when I get opportunities out of the blue, no matter the condition, doing everything for our best friends :)

First time experiencing the Atlantic Ocean from the British side, a very beautiful opportunity for landscape images, even if the light was not very attractive or helpful.

Just about to miss this opportunity, noticing the small chicks with the corner of my eye I noticed it was an entire family of 5 with 3 chicks ... very loud little ones shouting constantly for food, not even bothered by my presence. So much room service.

I had shared this image here before, one of the most exciting things I have ever experienced was a baby fox (no bigger than my shoes put on top of each other) coming out of tall reeds looking for food and while ignoring me (but I was still noticed) it came to a few meters in front of me. I was so surprised I was mostly shocked into having my finger stuck on the shutter. I didn't even notice the heavy damage of the right eye until I got home and boosted the shadows of the RAW files.

It's not easy to make multi-shot panoramas of wildlife but when it works the results are so beautiful, I just love the simplicity and depth the images has in my opinion, a permanent print on my walls for sure (like the one above).

I am hoping that 2020 will come with even more and better wildlife images as well as going back to my first love, landscapes. And now that I have activated an Instagram account I will share more pictures and more often.

My absolute favorite image I captured this year. Captured on my way back to the car at Seven Islands State Birding Park. It makes for a wonderful print.
48817867206_ea36c8fee0_o.jpg

---------------------------------
My second favorite. This storm was breaking up over the lake. A stitch captured with the Super Takumar28 3.5. I feel like it is a Miyazaki painted animation cell.
48175979256_9c73d6382c_o.jpg

---------------------------------
A couple of black and whites captured on different trips to Nashville. I like the combination of architecture, texture, and portrait. The first captured with the Super Takumar 50 1.4, the second with the Leica Elmarit-R 28 2.8

48627999472_9d5eb5d64c_o.jpg

48719609628_4a94b0b8b6_o.jpg

--------------------------------
This one didn't get much attention wherever I shared it. But I really like the image. To me it looks like a painting.
49036305252_50362bbc37_o.jpg

-------------------------------
I don't share family portraits, but these are the best portraits I took this year. Both on a college visit with my son to Portland, Oregon. The first is my son sitting on the shore of Puget Sound, the second is of my cousin and my son walking toward Haystack Rock.
48905883208_1a1ca866eb_o.jpg

48911856492_5af35ef31a_o.jpg

------------------------------
A cold, icy January afternoon makes for an interesting framing of Ozone Falls.
39868765463_69f0998930_o.jpg

This image shot up to being my most popular image on Flickr. Interestingly enough, it was shot with the 14-150ii and is a SOOC jpeg shot using the Sunset Scene mode. Sometimes you just have to let the camera do its thing.
49226249427_ce1cf63700_o.jpg

A couple of insect shots, nice and sharp with great color. These always impress me when I go back to them. The bee was captured with the Leica Macro-Elmar-R 100 4 (helicoid).
48515223616_0721ddde47_o.jpg

48983823962_3e92190d88_o.jpg

Last, but definitely not least: This was one of the first shots I captured for the year. I love the simplicity, meditative quality. Shot with the Leica Summicron-R 50 2.
39674888413_a951dc6525_o.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't pick a 13th one. If you care to browse, I have a Flickr Best of 2019 album that includes a larger compilation of my favorites.

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?
Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?
A Ferruginous Hawk whose nest I monitor.

48040830556_bc02deae5e_k.jpg
EM127694-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A focus stacked photo of a crab spider. One of the few spiders that I saw this year.

48294586946_c017e5e317_k.jpg
EM121186-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

One of my favorite ever pets. She is over 11 now, so her days are becoming even more precious. This is our compost bucket that she brings back inside (even through the dog door). If I could only teach her to take it out and dump it also.

48665318338_54920da653_k.jpg
EM124223-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A focus stacked mushroom growing in my backyard.

48387670872_ae3dec582c_k.jpg
EM122595-Edit-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A big smile from a local horse. I take photos at it's pasture because there is a pair of Bald Eagles that is usually in a cottonwood at the back edge of the field.

32095651047_83060eecca_k.jpg
EM122969-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A local bovine relaxing in a field of blue mustard, Chorispora tenella. The blue mustard was blooming everywhere this spring because of the very wet weather.

32789862697_a1abee3b62_k.jpg
EM125321-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A pronghorn antelope, Antilocapra americana. It is the fastest mammal in the western hemisphere.

47832427901_44b74fe771_k.jpg
EM126188-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A Great Basin gopher snake, Pituophis catenifer deserticola. A harmless snake (unless you are a rodent), that I often find. They can reach 4.5' long.

48945069797_ed04a49e19_k.jpg
M1025609-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) #618, a real thrill to have it fly directly overhead.

48737535616_b65a1e0183_k.jpg
EM124722-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Favorite dog #2, Jasper Zip, always on the move.

49158376362_351c5045f5_k.jpg
EM127093-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

The entrance to a windmill, I probably got brain cancer while taking this.

49007562818_a8b99beb4f_k.jpg
EM126451-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Spotted Wolf Canyon in the San Rafael Swell on I-70 in southern Utah.

48731866432_ce9e6f1f1e_k.jpg
EM124301-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A dragon fly on a window frame. Shot from the inside looking out.

48554461176_962751db02_k.jpg
EM123583-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A Ferruginous Hawk whose nest I monitor.

View attachment 794032EM127694-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A focus stacked photo of a crab spider. One of the few spiders that I saw this year.

View attachment 794033EM121186-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

One of my favorite ever pets. She is over 11 now, so her days are becoming even more precious. This is our compost bucket that she brings back inside (even through the dog door). If I could only teach her to take it out and dump it also.

View attachment 794034EM124223-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A focus stacked mushroom growing in my backyard.

View attachment 794035EM122595-Edit-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A big smile from a local horse. I take photos at it's pasture because there is a pair of Bald Eagles that is usually in a cottonwood at the back edge of the field.

View attachment 794036EM122969-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A local bovine relaxing in a field of blue mustard, Chorispora tenella. The blue mustard was blooming everywhere this spring because of the very wet weather.

View attachment 794037EM125321-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A pronghorn antelope, Antilocapra americana. It is the fastest mammal in the western hemisphere.

View attachment 794038EM126188-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A Great Basin gopher snake, Pituophis catenifer deserticola. A harmless snake (unless you are a rodent), that I often find. They can reach 4.5' long.

View attachment 794039M1025609-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) #618, a real thrill to have it fly directly overhead.

View attachment 794040EM124722-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Favorite dog #2, Jasper Zip, always on the move.

View attachment 794041EM127093-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

The entrance to a windmill, I probably got brain cancer while taking this.

View attachment 794042EM126451-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Spotted Wolf Canyon in the San Rafael Swell on I-70 in southern Utah.

View attachment 794043EM124301-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

A dragon fly on a window frame. Shot from the inside looking out.

View attachment 794044EM123583-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr
You captured some magnificent scenes in 2019!!

Phil.H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It was very difficult to pick my favourite 13. Most of my photography is landscapes but i did manage to mix it up a little.

I have to start with a couple of shots from my local reservoir. It's only 20mins from home and it is where i go get away from it all and chill out.

_A200557_DxO.jpg
_7130485_DxO.jpg

This is one that i got from a day at Chester Zoo. I really like this one but it saddens me to think that they will one day be gone from the wild. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

_7070273_DxO.jpg

A couple of images from Cleveleys near Blackpool. I went there to photograph the shell but i liked the promenade with its fancy lamp posts.

_B170954_DxO-02.jpg
_B170939_DxO.jpg

A couple of birdie pics to break up the landscape images.

_B170920_DxO.jpg
_9190228_DxO.jpg

I had to include a sunrise shot. I'm 54 years old and this year was the first time i saw the sun break the horizon. One of a few first for me thanks to photography. I took my daughter to the same place this week to see it for the first time.

PC150030_DxO-01.jpg

A photo with my favourite adapted lens Helios 44-2.

_2170899_DxO.jpg

I had to include a couple from the Lake District.

_A070416_DxO.jpg
_8010611_DxO.jpg

Another first for me was catching a cloud inversion while i was out in the Peak District. I skived off work the day this was taken otherwise i would still be waiting :biggrin:

_4292174_DxO.jpg

My final image might not be my favourite but it is an iconic shot that a lot of photographers go to Ladybower Reservoir for. It's a shot i wanted to get for myself and it took me four or five attempts over several months to get. Again its another shot that i got when i skived off work. Just to let you know I'm not work shy. I've worked all my life but if I'm not needed in work now i don't go in. I class myself as semi retired :biggrin:

PC190057_DxO.jpg

Thanks for looking and all the best for 2020.

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Thank you so much for sharing, I didn't expect people to jump in since it's not easy to pick favorites. Though 13 is a lot easier than 2 to 5 pictures :)
You guys shared beautiful pictures and it made me feel wonderful seeing them.

Happy New Year and I wish you even more beautiful pictures this year.

Real Name
Mark
My daughter being goofy in her brother's American football helmet
HelmetGirl by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Friends playing in the rain. I just loved the moment and all 3 girls are having a blast.
UmbrellaGirls by Defective Monk, on Flickr

My kids waiting to start their swim lessons. I love how colorful this was and it captures an unguarded moment my kids are sharing without me.
SwimKids by Defective Monk, on Flickr

A portrait of a friend's child. The expression on her face is fantastic and I spent a lot of time post-processing this one (hopefully you can't tell) to get it exactly how I wanted it.
GirlPortrait by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Proud dad. This was my daughter's first swim meet. We weren't even expecting her to finish the lap of the butterfly stroke and she CRUSHED it.
Butterfly by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Just my kids for the Christmas card this year.
Christmas by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Didn't get what I was trying to capture in this one but it's a magnificent failure.
AbstractGlassWall by Defective Monk, on Flickr

The way the sunlight hit the soda bottle still gets me.
Boylans by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Just a great moment. You can't tell but there's a huge party going on just outside the frame.
August2019-3 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

These two were from a tour of abandoned grain silos in Buffalo, NY. I feel like both images captured the beautiful decay of the site.
ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-13 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-5 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

The way the overlapping petals affect the light caught my eye. They practically glow.
Hydrangea by Defective Monk, on Flickr

A blue-hour portrait of my mother-in-law
BarneyWedding-34 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
My daughter being goofy in her brother's American football helmet
View attachment 794151HelmetGirl by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Friends playing in the rain. I just loved the moment and all 3 girls are having a blast.
View attachment 794152UmbrellaGirls by Defective Monk, on Flickr

My kids waiting to start their swim lessons. I love how colorful this was and it captures an unguarded moment my kids are sharing without me.
View attachment 794153SwimKids by Defective Monk, on Flickr

A portrait of a friend's child. The expression on her face is fantastic and I spent a lot of time post-processing this one (hopefully you can't tell) to get it exactly how I wanted it.
View attachment 794154GirlPortrait by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Proud dad. This was my daughter's first swim meet. We weren't even expecting her to finish the lap of the butterfly stroke and she CRUSHED it.
View attachment 794155Butterfly by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Just my kids for the Christmas card this year.
View attachment 794156Christmas by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Didn't get what I was trying to capture in this one but it's a magnificent failure.
View attachment 794157AbstractGlassWall by Defective Monk, on Flickr

The way the sunlight hit the soda bottle still gets me.
View attachment 794158Boylans by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Just a great moment. You can't tell but there's a huge party going on just outside the frame.
View attachment 794159August2019-3 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

These two were from a tour of abandoned grain silos in Buffalo, NY. I feel like both images captured the beautiful decay of the site.
View attachment 794160ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-13 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

View attachment 794161ExploreBuffaloSiloCityVertical-5 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

The way the overlapping petals affect the light caught my eye. They practically glow.
View attachment 794162Hydrangea by Defective Monk, on Flickr

A blue-hour portrait of my mother-in-law
View attachment 794163BarneyWedding-34 by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Your pictures are amazing, you have such beautiful and cute children. You gave a lot of talent for portrait photography (but that's not saying much from someone who doesn't have that level of skill :p ). Thank you for sharing your wonderful year.

ak300

Mu-43 Veteran

(Lange Anna, Helgoland, Germany; image details)

(cuckoo; image details)

(sanderling; image details)

(Adelboden, Switzerland; image details)

(Zoologischer Stadtgarten Karlsruhe, Germany; image details)

Best regards, Alex

Real Name
Roddy
I work from home, and we have a couple of other home-based businesses, so I spent 99% of last year within 30 miles of the house, and probably 80% of that time actually at home. With a slew of kids, dogs, cats and chickens to boot, it means most of my photography this year was in the garden. So here are my 13 for the year, mostly taken with a G6, typically attached to the 30mm Panny.

I obviously need to get out more, but with daughter no.4 on the tennis tournament trail with Mrs Macroramphosis much of the year, it's hard to get away.....so if you're not into insects, my sincere apologies :D

A carder bumble bee
P1060973_HDR.jpeg

A visitor to the privet hedge
P7940450 copyB&W.png

A small solitary bee, Amegilia albigena
P8150714 copy_HDR.jpeg

Another small solitary bee, an Andrena species I think
P7960853.JPG

A curious paper wasp, Polistes dominula
P1080168_HDR.jpeg

A bee-fly taking on nectar
P8040687 copy.jpg

A very yellow Brimstone butterfly
P8130573_HDR_HDR.jpeg

A honey-bee on lavender
P8130600 copy_HDRxxxx copy 2.jpeg

An ichnuemon wasp on fennel, possibly Gasteruption jaculator
P8190025 copy.jpg

Another shot of an Amegilia albigena, enjoying some verbena
P8150618 copy_HDR1.jpeg

Two species of lassioglossum bees line up to take advantage of some basil we let go to flower
P1030817 copy_HDR.jpeg

A bush cricket, just after a wee bit of rain
P8060424_HDR.jpeg

A Praying mantis that took a liking to a shieldbug during a quick photoshoot on the windowsill
P8230161 copy.jpg

A red-tailed mason bee on our plum blossom in April
P7910373_HDR2 copy.jpeg

Last edited:

Sig

Mu-43 Veteran

DenverDutchman

Mu-43 Regular
Amazing captures everyone, wow! Sorry for being a little late to this party 🙂

Let's start with a couple of shots from our trip to Le Provence and Iceland this past summer. The first photo is probably my 2019 favorite. We came upon this scene at a cherry festival in a small town. A local shoe-shop had creatively marked a path to their shop on the street.
Untitled by jphsmits, on Flickr

I have a 12x18 print of this poppies shot mounted in my living room. Also in Le Provence.

The next shot is a candid of my youngest son in a small town. Same trip.

And an abstract of lavender in early bloom

The umbrellas in Carpentras

When in France you cannot overlook the many fortifications and castles. I quite like this shot

Ok, moving on to a couple of Iceland shots. Definitely a location where I will return with more time for photography!

In 2019 I discovered portrait photo shoots. I often use my Pen F and that amazing monochrome mode 2. A couple of examples below
Version 2 by jphsmits, on Flickr

I even got my wife to pose for me for a blossom shoot. Lots of fun!

I will end with a shot of Delicate Arch in Utah. Beautiful place to visit.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom