Your favorite shiny treasure

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Rich M, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I can't enter into the lofty realm of glass that costs thousands (pick your unit of currency).

I can, like many of us here, look for those hidden treasure that may end up pleasing (or even astounding) us. A lens that you didn't get because others had already extolled its virtues....one that you stumbled upon...gambled on..or just said "what the hell..."

For me, it has been the Hexanon AR 100/2.8. A nice copy didn't cost much...and I wasn't expecting much. A friend had given me his Hex 135/3.5 and it was ok....but...nothing really exciting.

I immediately liked the size and feel of it. I really am attracted to metal body lenses......it is small, light with a nice silky focus. It balanced very well on the E-P2.

The first shots I took were, to me, pleasing....sharp, contrasty, warm, nice bokeh.

[​IMG]

I since then have had it on my camera a lot. This week I am sending it off to be CLA'ed (the aperture ring turns hard). All this for less than $100.

[​IMG]

How about you folks.....any favorites?

• Like Like x 10
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Good work Rich. The images are so life like, especially the grain in the cross member on the fence. I love it how in the 2nd one the horses and the building in the background are in focus. How do you do that? Is there a trick between aperture and shutter speed?

Yeah i haven't got any other lenses yet other than the Panasonic ones. I do have a lens off a 404i dynax minolta but i don't know how good it is. It hasn't got a aperture ring either.

cu

icon

3. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Icon....the longer the lens, the greater the distance from the subject and smaller aperture at contribute to a greater depth of field (DOF). Fortunately, this picture had all three.....it's a 100mm lens (200mm equivalent), I was quite a ways away and was shooting at ~f/11.

Take care.....R

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    • Like Like x 2
  5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    IQ and color\contrast aspects on your newly accquired lens seem outstanding ,........... some really nice images as as well
    ive got some hexanon glass and its superb
    , my favorite new shiny treasure was bought 2nd hand for 59 usd in real mint condition.. its a tight beautifully constructed 13.5cm[135mm] f 3.5 nikkor q rangefinder lens ,with a homemade bodycap "lens mount"
    its heavy chrome over brass so its shiny .........., and it heavy, beautiful, and superbly made machine with pretty darn good IQ as well. so its also a treasure

i love old lenses way too much ....lol

heres a pic

[​IMG]

6. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    rich m , show us a portrait of the lens mounted on your camera , if you could

cheers

7. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I love old lenses too (much) :smile:

What a nice shot of that Nikkor....I bet you'll get some memorable pictures out of that.

I'll shoot a picture of my Hex mounted on my E-P2 this afternoon and post it.

Regards......R

8. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    look foward to it

cheers

9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Konica Hexanon AR 100/2.8

Here she is.....

[​IMG]

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Thanks Rich for the info. Will try tomorrow on the 45-200. I wonder how the big zoom point and shoot cameras have such a good depth of field? There must be some degradation in picture quality, i imagine.

icon

11. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the mostly black hexanon 100 2.8 [with a litttle chrome] lens looks quite handsome mounted on the ep2, size aint bad either

thats like a 200 2.8 in the days of 35mm at less than half the size and weight of .......say ... my canon 200 2.8 FD , which i love, but frankly, its a monster by compsrison

enjoy

enjoy it ............is sweet.............. and has nice IQ

12. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    longer lenses have less depth of field

You’re correct about the last two factors, but longer lenses have less depth of field than shorter lenses—this is one reason that many photographers had trouble focussing wide angle lenses with SLRs (there is not that easy to see snap when what you want pops into focus) and liked using rangefinders for wide angle work.

13. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    You're right Alan.....my bad.....longer lenses have LESS depth of field than shorter.

In the case of the pasture/church picture, I am far enough away that some objects in front and behind my focused subject (in this instance, the second horse) also appear to our eyes to be acceptably in focus....but not critically so.

Thanks.....Richard

14. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    thanks for the clear explanations , sometime acceptable sharpness in one portion of an image is enuf............ and at certain sizes its passes for roughly[almost] as good as critical focus pictorially.......... even it it isnt on a pixel peeping level

ultimately its all about the image,.............and making the most of the physical reality of optical parameters we are faced with in a given situiation

15. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I know exactly what you mean....here is one, shot with the same lens, that I didn't want to post because at a pixel peeping level it was not up to par. However, I found the shot appealed to me. Nothing earth shattering....I am sure it's been done many times by many others...but the important thing was that it pleased ME.

[​IMG]

16. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i love the way you are using the beautiful horse in your images, they seem timeless and are pure visual poetry , and your placement, and scales etc are also very well seen imho

the upper left of the last image, which is otherwise wonderful , has one distraction for me, its the loss of contrast area upper left , its offputting imho and hurts an otherwise finepicture

just an observation .........not meant as criticism......... i love your shots, and your lens too.......cheers

17. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Thank you for your comments....I agree with you 100%. That picture still needs some mods.....good eye.

R

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That is a gorgeous scene and photograph, Rich. There is plenty of detail but also a bit of glow that adds to the feeling.

• Like Like x 2