Your favorite fast wide lens?

I don't think you can go wrong with the Oly 7-14 2.8 unless size is an issue. Love the lens. Good contrast and colors, good zoom range. Very sharp. Good handling of flares for such a lens. Love doing HH long exposures with it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It really depends what you called wide.
Currently I have only 2 "wide" fast lenses:
- Laowa 7.5 f/2 that is more "ultra wide" but that I really like.
- Panasonic 14 f/2.5 which is very good but a little too long

I'd like a 10-12 mm wide lens. I'd probably have to buy the Oly 12 f/2 one day, seems to be the only "reasonably sized" fast wide lens available.

I think I might be the oddball here - I went for the Oly 8mm fisheye for my ultrawide solution. My thinking:
  • It's fast, offering f/1.8
  • The E-M1 can defish it in-camera, and you can save both the original fishy RAW (hmm, sushi?) and the de-fished jpg
  • I *really* like fisheyes

I think I might be the oddball here - I went for the Oly 8mm fisheye for my ultrawide solution. My thinking:
  • It's fast, offering f/1.8
  • The E-M1 can defish it in-camera, and you can save both the original fishy RAW (hmm, sushi?) and the de-fished jpg
  • I *really* like fisheyes
That’s a good shout. I like fisheyes and Lightroom does a pretty good job as well. I got pretty good results from the samyang 7.5mm. It was so small. When I was a true minimalist (before I had a kid) it was my go to Ultra wide angle.

My favorite wide is the PL 8-18mm zoom... I did have the Oly 7-14mm and loved it, but after a trip overseas I came back and ended up selling it. Replaced it later with the PL 8-18, primarily because it was a little smaller and lot lighter than the Oly. Some posts in here remind me that I have the Laowa 7.5 and need to dig that out and sell it, just because I got the zoom for zoom reasons, although the Laowa is really small and pretty good.

That’s a good shout. I like fisheyes and Lightroom does a pretty good job as well. I got pretty good results from the samyang 7.5mm. It was so small. When I was a true minimalist (before I had a kid) it was my go to Ultra wide angle.
The thing with the Oly 8 is that you can have the defishing in-camera, on some Oly cameras. Which helps a lot to have the correct framing.
(I am totally unable to get a good rectilinear UWA picture if I can only see the fisheye projection in the viewfinder).
What's great with Lightroom and the Samyang 7.5 is the stereographic projection... close to the default fisheye but much more interesting imho.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom