Your favorite fast wide lens?

leendertv

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leendert
I replaced the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 and 20mm f1.7 with the Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 and Panasonic Leica 15mm f1.7

I am very happy with these lenses on the gx9.
Even the Panasonic small zoom is very decent at f5.6-f8. I like to use it for landscapes and city photography and choose it over the big f2.8 zoom lenses.

But the Panasonic Leica 15mm f1.7 is perfect on the gx9. This combination is and feels so good in every way. Hard to beat package!

I would like to have a compact Panasonic Leica zoom. For example 12-32mm f4, similair in size as the current Lumix 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 (if possible) but with the build quality and aperture ring of the PL 15mm.

Last edited:

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
For wide I have 7/14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 12-100/4 and 17/1.8. Used to have Pana 7-14/4, but replaced it with Oly zoom.
Favourite wide is 7-14, but the most used are 12-40 and 12-100.
If Oly comes up with optically good and weather sealed smaller 7-14/4 I’ll jump on it.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
I wish I could find a MFT lens that would produce the kind of images I was able to take with my Tokina 11/16mm F/2.8 lens on my Nikon DSLR. I love that lens for shooting cars, those shots down the fender from headlight to tail lights were spot on. There is just nothing in the MFT world that even begins to compare.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
PL15mm for me. I would like the Laowa 7.5mm, but already have the P7-14mm which is fine and auto focussing.

Real Name
Deryck
I have just bought the laowa 7.5 and am holidaying with it (and my wife) in Madeira. It is such fun, and surprisingly well used.
I am still getting used to composing with it, having been restricted to 12mmm on the zooms for so long.

I'm finding it great for interiors and churches and one or two very wide landscapes. However for normal wide landscapes it is still the Panasonic 15mm I turn to, 7.5mm is at the moment just too wide for me to handle.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Now for something different: the OM-System 21mm ƒ/2 on a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, which results in 15mm ƒ/1.4.

No autofocus, but that's less critical with wide than with other focal lengths.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I've got the Laowa 7.5mm at super-wide, the Panasonic 12-32mm for a wide and I just picked up and Olympus 17mm f1.8. I like all three, though obviously the 12-32mm isn't a fast lens. I do like the 24mm equivalent focal length though and would consider something like a 12mm prime and would consider the Olympus f2 if I can find one at a reasonable price second hand. The PanaLeica is too extravagant for me at this focal length.

Brian_G

Mu-43 Regular
With it's 2x "crop factor" mft is particularly poorly served in the wide angle and ultra wide angle departments.
12mm, (24mm equivalent) is not particularly wide by todays standards.
For me, real wide angle begins at around 18mm (9mm crop.)
I have the 7-14mm f2.8 and it's really nice, but on my FF camera I have an 11mm f4, true FL and if I want real wide angle I shoot with that.
I don't see any 5.5mm FL lenses for the mft system.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I bought the Oly. 7-14 f/2.8 for indoor use, particularly in churches. No regrets - it's the best lens for me, given the 7mm wide end and the constant f/2.8. Quite sharp with decent depth of field wide open if I focus it correctly. It's probably my favorite lens now.

46335403792_839668f56f_h.jpg
Blue Sky Oculus by Gregory Vozzo, on Flickr

As versatile and good as the Panasonic 8-18/2.8-4 is, I prefer specialization. Besides the O7-14, I still have an Oly. 9-18/4-5.6 because it's so small and takes filters. It's the general-purpose ultra-wide-to-normal lens that got me into micro four thirds in the first place. Very capable despite its compromises, with character I like for scenes containing wood.

49312526497_a55d73b96c_b.jpg
United to the Cross of Christ by Gregory Vozzo, on Flickr

I also have a Lumix 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens. It's obsolete - but so small, sharp, and cheap. When I want a small bag of primes, this might still find its way in.

49312470037_bc255ceff5_b.jpg
Jesus' Welcoming Heart by Gregory Vozzo, on Flickr

justbananas

New to Mu-43
I've been having this same argument in my head, and I think the 7-14 comes out on top in my mind. Once I calculate the weather sealing (and I did buy olympus because I didn't want to ever have to worry about weather), the ability to focus stack when combined with the OMD, the constant AP and good IQ... it's hard to buy anything else. Even though im on the fence over the 9-18 --- but the lack of weather sealing, and the possibility of ribbon disconnect inside. Tough choice.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom