Your favorite fast wide lens?

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello! :)

I've been shooting with mft for a while now. I haven't been taking pictures recently because I've been very busy.
Still trying to find out what I like to shoot best.
I've realized I mostly like to shoot wide.

My favorites so far have been:
Olympus 12-50mm
Olympus 12mm
Panasonic 15mm
Panasonic 7-14mm

I always end up selling when I don't use the lens because I'd rather have the money. It's also difficult being a sub because work is not consistent, and there's no pay during the summer. I'm wondering what are your favorite lenses? Can you post a picture taken with it?

The Sigma 16mm looks very interesting, but it looks huge. The Panasonic 10-25mm F1.7 also looks really, but again looks huge. I wish there was a 10mm F1.7.

Here are some of my favorite pictures that I've taken:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Acapulco, México by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr

Beverly Center by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr

Manzanillo, Colima by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr
This picture to me always shocked me. When I took the picture, I remember it was VERY dark! I was surprised at how nice the colors looked. Shutter speed is almost 2 seconds handheld! I love Olympus IBIS.

Puebla by Guillermo Moreno, on Flickr

Real Name
Roel
For me personally my favorite wide-angle lens I own is the Olympus 12-40 f2.8. I did own the 12mm f2.0 prime but sold it as I prefer zoom lenses for landscape and often need weather sealing.

My favorite image with the lens:

30a05a8c-0f47-4c86-8c42-f2f93c4484bc.jpg

I do want to add an ultra-wide angle lens to my inventory. So I'm looking forward to the rumored wide-angle Olympus lens somewhere in the future (hopefully around 8mm widest, weather sealing, accepting screw-on filters and good image quality).

Interesting: why do you rate it higher than the Olympus 7-14?
Just guessing... good image quality and accepts screw-on filters :)
Maybe I should just opt for the Panasonic myself.. but I still have more trust in weather sealing when lens/camera are the same brands.

Last edited:

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
PL 15 for me, better than the other wide-ish lenses I've used - 14/2.5, Oly 9-18 f/4-5.6, and the Panasonic 12-32 and 12-60 kit zooms. But I also need wider coverage than 15mm. I would be interested in a small rectilinear prime around 10mm and f/2.8 (looking at you, Fujinon 14/2.8), but since that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon I'll probably pick up the PL 8-18.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
PL 8-18 is my choice of UWA lens becasuse its so convient with a zoom lens when shooting landscapes, but im not really a UWA guy so Olympus 17mm f1.2 get my vote for favorite wide angle lens

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For me and my PDAF-able E-M1, the old ZD 12-60 SWD lens has been "Old Reliable" for me having been using it (although not as much lately) on a range of Oly bodies for over a decade now. But in m43 lenses my current widest angle (not including fisheyes) is the 12-100 PRO.

Gregorius

New to Mu-43
I do a lot of shooting inside dark churches, and my staple weapons are the Pany 15mm f/1.7 and the Olympus 8mm f/1.8 fisheye. They're both superb, and cropping the defished fisheye gives access to a quite wide range of effective focal lengths.

I do wish there was a 10mm f/1.7, or a 12mm f/1.7, up to the optical performance, at those focal lengths, of the Pany 10-25mm f/1.7 - It's just too big and heavy!

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
For me personally my favorite wide-angle lens I own is the Olympus 12-40 f2.8. I did own the 12mm f2.0 prime but sold it as I prefer zoom lenses for landscape and often need weather sealing.

My favorite image with the lens:

View attachment 803607

I do want to add an ultra-wide angle lens to my inventory. So I'm looking forward to the rumored wide-angle Olympus lens somewhere in the future (hopefully around 8mm widest, weather sealing, accepting screw-on filters and good image quality).

Just guessing... good image quality and accepts screw-on filters :)
Maybe I should just opt for the Panasonic myself.. but I still trust weather sealing better is lens/camera are the same brands.
Very nice image.

For me it was a toss between the Sigma 16/1.4 and the Olympus 12-40/2.8 but I ended up keeping only the Sigma as for my shooting I am often beyond 40mm due to active subject or able to take the time to stitch if the 16 isn't wide enough. The extra speed of the 16mm makes it my go to indoor lens as my subjects are mostly people and up close.

I think best is defined by your subject more then any absolute criteria. Cost is also why I picked the Sigma over the Pro 1.2 that is its cousin.

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For regular stuff, the Laowa 7.5/2. Very small and light, excellent IQ. But I’m not usually a landscape or city photographer, wildlife and birds is more my thing, so my 100-400 accounts for 90% of my shots. I’d actually just use my phone for most scenics when I’m out shooting. The Laowa comes out when I actually need something wider than my phone or low light.

My most used wide is probably the SLR Magic 8mm f4 which is my dedicated IR setup on my EPL3. I can’t do IR on my phone.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom