Your choice for circular polarizers?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Nate8833, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Hello!

I always take my camera out with me when I go for hikes... so I thought a circular polarizer would be a good accessory to have. For now I want one for my 14mm pancake, but eventually I might want one for a yet to be acquired 25mm 1.4. :) I don't want anything that will degrade photo quality... which brands are the best?! Thanks everyone!

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Multicoated ones from reputable brands such as Hoya and B+W are always solid.

4. TDP

TDP Guest

You can also use a less expensive linear polarizer on m43 without interfering with the AF system.

5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The best bang for the buck CPL filters I've come across are from Marumi. I know it's not a well known brand but they cost just upwards of 40usd. And I personally have not encountered any ghosting or image degradation issues. Just make sure you buy the super DHG ones. I highly recommend them. :2thumbs:

Your 14mm pancake would need a 46mm filter. Here's an amazon link...
    Amazon.com: marumi 46mm super dhg

6. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I bought a Marumi Super DHG 67mm for my lenses, it seems very nice but I can't really comment comparatively. I mostly went off this test:
    Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
    And the Marumi filters are noticeably cheaper than similar filters in the same class from the well known manufacturers.

8. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks!

That's a great link... very helpful!!

9. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Marumi Super DHG here as well.

10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    A linear polarizer is all you need for m4/3, and will be cheaper than CPL.

11. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Any recommendations?

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    If you can find a multi-coated linera polarizer, that would be fine. Most that I have ran across though were not multi-coated.

13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I've never owned a linear polarizer. But you are right that there should be no issues (e.g. autofocus, exposure metering) with a linear polarizer in cameras without mirrors. However, my understanding is it's hard to come across a good linear polarizer nowadays (and that may be why I've never owned one). The best modern polarizers (good anti-reflective coatings but still easy to clean; minimal loss of light; thin and light) are all circular.

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Marumi makes a multicoat linear polarizer, that's what I use. I have a 46mm and a 37-46mm step up ring so that I can use it with oly 45 and 17 as well.

15. The following is a decent listing, comparing effectiveness, transmission, and cost:

Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

The Marumi filters do quite well. Almost all of the effectiveness, but not nearly as expensive as the most expensive.

Marumi filters are what I use mostly.

16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I was just about to post that. :) B&W and Marumi tied at 1st place except one's way more expensive than the other.

17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    After that test link i bought the Marumi Super Circular DHG and came out great!. love it. I bought to match the pana lens size 46mm and then bought some step up rings to use it on my o45 which has a 37mm thread. no problem.

18. peteygas

peteygas Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    sedona arizona
    Murami filters are great . I figured the same thing about not needing circular, but when I called to buy one I was told that they stopped making quality linears , because everyone was using CPL

19. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    The 3 dolled Chinese ones on eBay lol yeah that's right you read it

• Like Like x 1
  20. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes you have heard of CPL. You're asking about them. A Circular Polarize Lens Filter, Or CPL Filter. Not a Brand but an Acronym.