Your choice for circular polarizers?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Nate8833, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Hello!

I always take my camera out with me when I go for hikes... so I thought a circular polarizer would be a good accessory to have. For now I want one for my 14mm pancake, but eventually I might want one for a yet to be acquired 25mm 1.4. :) I don't want anything that will degrade photo quality... which brands are the best?! Thanks everyone!

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Multicoated ones from reputable brands such as Hoya and B+W are always solid.

4. TDP

TDP Guest

You can also use a less expensive linear polarizer on m43 without interfering with the AF system.

5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The best bang for the buck CPL filters I've come across are from Marumi. I know it's not a well known brand but they cost just upwards of 40usd. And I personally have not encountered any ghosting or image degradation issues. Just make sure you buy the super DHG ones. I highly recommend them. :2thumbs:

Your 14mm pancake would need a 46mm filter. Here's an amazon link...
    Amazon.com: marumi 46mm super dhg

6. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I bought a Marumi Super DHG 67mm for my lenses, it seems very nice but I can't really comment comparatively. I mostly went off this test:
    Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
    And the Marumi filters are noticeably cheaper than similar filters in the same class from the well known manufacturers.

8. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks!

That's a great link... very helpful!!

9. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Marumi Super DHG here as well.

10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    A linear polarizer is all you need for m4/3, and will be cheaper than CPL.

11. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    Any recommendations?

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    If you can find a multi-coated linera polarizer, that would be fine. Most that I have ran across though were not multi-coated.

13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I've never owned a linear polarizer. But you are right that there should be no issues (e.g. autofocus, exposure metering) with a linear polarizer in cameras without mirrors. However, my understanding is it's hard to come across a good linear polarizer nowadays (and that may be why I've never owned one). The best modern polarizers (good anti-reflective coatings but still easy to clean; minimal loss of light; thin and light) are all circular.

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Marumi makes a multicoat linear polarizer, that's what I use. I have a 46mm and a 37-46mm step up ring so that I can use it with oly 45 and 17 as well.

15. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The following is a decent listing, comparing effectiveness, transmission, and cost:

Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

The Marumi filters do quite well. Almost all of the effectiveness, but not nearly as expensive as the most expensive.

Marumi filters are what I use mostly.

16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I was just about to post that. :) B&W and Marumi tied at 1st place except one's way more expensive than the other.

17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    After that test link i bought the Marumi Super Circular DHG and came out great!. love it. I bought to match the pana lens size 46mm and then bought some step up rings to use it on my o45 which has a 37mm thread. no problem.

18. peteygas

peteygas Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 21, 2011
    sedona arizona
    Murami filters are great . I figured the same thing about not needing circular, but when I called to buy one I was told that they stopped making quality linears , because everyone was using CPL

19. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    The 3 dolled Chinese ones on eBay lol yeah that's right you read it

• Like Like x 1
  20. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes you have heard of CPL. You're asking about them. A Circular Polarize Lens Filter, Or CPL Filter. Not a Brand but an Acronym.