Your Camera Shop

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TNcasual, Dec 16, 2016.

1. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    What are you retahded? It's Mass-holes. Get it right. ;)

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    All day trip from here. Fighting the traffic just isn't appealing. The www is my friend.

3. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William B. Lewis
    They're all gone.

I shop at KEH & Amazon.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Here in Oregon, I only know of one full-service, licensed camera store, and that's Pro Photo Supply in North Portland. Camera World used to exist until a year or so ago in downtown Portland, but they folded, sadly. Pro Photo is a great place, the service can be great or can be a bit surly, depending on who you get. I do miss Camera World's willingness to let me handle and gaze at cameras for an inordinate amount of time, but I won't complain too much.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Image One Camera and Video in Riverside, CA has a good selection of Oly and Pana. They're also active with the local photo clubs and Drink & Click.

Samy's has a lot too, at least in Pasadena.

6. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I bought one camera at pro photo supply and found that the folks while seemingly knowledgeable did not seem to care about the customer - the kiss of death for a store IMHO. B&H, Amazon, Keh, and here are my camera stores:)

8. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Let me put in a good word for Newtonville Camera, Boston area. I've bought two m4/3 cameras from them (E-M5 with two lenses, used and E-M5 II and three lenses, new) and, on a third occasion, a used 40-150 Pro. In all cases I felt I was well served, but I was dealing with the owner. Sometimes white hair comes in handy. ;)

Other than that, it's a hodge-podge, dominated by B&H. Their act is enough together and Boston is sufficiently close that, no matter the level of shipping one chooses to pay for, merchandise arrives the next day.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Like I said, it kind of depends on the person there. I figure they probably get an awful lot of hipsters handling their cameras and then going out and ordering them from Amazon.

10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
  11. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I am lucky as J&A Cameras in Barnstaple and Bideford N Devon are unbeatable for service, they are all keen photographers, have a brilliant photo lab and being Olympus main dealers they give the extended warranty. Long may they thrive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Living in the San Francisco Bay area, we are lucky to have several camera stores.

My local camera store was Keeble and Shuchat which shut down a couple of months ago. However, I have never bought anything new from them since the day 15 years ago when I walked in looking for a long lens for my Nikon film SLR and ran into one of those "knowledgeable" and rude sales people who convinced me not to spend money in his store. I did enjoy browsing in their used section, though.

There is a Mike's camera near me which I rather like. They carry a full line of Olympus and Panasonic bodies and have been happy to let me play with lenses without any pressure to buy. If I am buying something which is new/full price, I am happy to give them my business, but otherwise I mostly buy online. I also use them for larger prints as they are willing to work with me to make things happen.

I have shopped at San Jose camera in the past as well with an overall positive experience. They carry Panasonic, but no Olympus.

In my opinion, the greatest value a brick & mortar camera store can add these days is good customer service. In my film days, I found plenty of sales people who lacked that. I am presuming that the stores who have remained have figured that out. Sadly, they are catering to a shrinking market and facing strong online competition, so it may not be enough to save them all.

13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Despite my large stock of photographic clutter, I don't actually run a camera shop.
    Mike :)

Not much in the nearest town, but it's not too far to a charity shop which always has a good selection of used kit - mainly pre AF and usually at least something tempting. Within 20 miles there's also a LCE (which is good but not as good as the branch in The Strand, London) & a couple of branches of Jessops (who at least think they're camera shops).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Ah, must be the other Mikes on the site ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    I got my EM1 mk2 at Zoom In, a quality shop with knowledgeable staff in Andorra. Because there is no VAT or sales tax in Andorra, stuff gets up to 15% cheaper than elsewhere in Europe.

Zoom-In | Tu Tienda de Electrónica en Andorra

16. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    A second for mikes camera. The Boulder, CO store has cool stuff from Think Tank and Mndshift Plus the collection of m4/3 stuff is amazing. Every time a new m4/3 widget is made they have it in stock. My rule is if I try it out in the store I buy, they deserve that. Super nice folks working there too.

Joe

• Like Like x 2
  17. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    In Brisbane Australia, my order of preference is:

Digital Camera Warehouse
    CameraPro
    Digidirect

I don't think either is better than the others, this is ranked purely on emotional attachment to each store based on photo walks or interactions with staff.

18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I live in one of the most densely populated parts of the USA, yet the two nearest camera stores are 40 minutes drive. Fortunately, Allen's Camera in Levittown, PA is an excellent one with full service and large selection of everything. They even stock Olympus, which the other doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  19. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I close to Samy's in L.A., and in Culver City. I'm told the one in LA is the second largest physical camera store behind B&H. It is pretty big, with fair prices, and even a good uses section(though I find the used lens selection and the Culver City store to sometimes be better). Only been to the Pasadena store once, but it was also pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2016
    Hi,
    New guy on the block here! I'm in northern NJ and wouldd rather NOT go into NYC to B&H- I hate going intoTHE City. @Speedliner@Speedliner which other shop did you reference? I'm interested in finding a Panny for myself.
    Thanks