Your Camera Shop

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TNcasual, Dec 16, 2016.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    This topic comes up regularly, usually by me, so I thought a resource thread might be useful.

Knoxville has a couple shops, but mostly sell used film stuff or have converted to being more of a print shop.

I have been to Competitive Cameras in Dallas. They carried most all current brands. The salesman was very nice and knowledgeable.

Where do you physically shop for camera gear?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Most of them are gone.

West of Boston, there is Newtonville Camera Store. The staff is OK, but I don't find their knowledge impressive. I think they are pretty focused on sales. They do have good stock, and used there are some bargains and some overpriced stuff.

Going to B&H is THE trip for the northeast. Nothing like it AFAIK. They are "pushy" New Yorkers, and they are salespeople, but if you push back and challenge them (and not get offended by their New Yorker-ness), they are very knowledgeable and helpful.

That's why we have New Yorkers, btw, so Bostonians aren't the rudest people in the US :D (it's a joke!)

3. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  4. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Wish I had seen that before! They have an EPL7 used in "excellent plus" condition for $250 + $10 shipping!

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I have driven through STL multiple times. Just never have the time to stop.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    As someone who lived in Boston for a few years (well, Ipswich to be exact), I can definitely say that it's a joke. The Mass Asses are lovely folk!

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    We're lucky in the UK. London Camera Exchange have branches in several towns and in the main they are very knowledgeable with good range and stock. They also do a good job of multi-channel selling acrossvweb and store. Jessops have risen from the dead and have a few physical stores but I personally don't rate them so highly - it's mostly just trained non-photo sales staff who often can't engage in anything at any level of detail beyond the marketing messages.

8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Nothing near me in Pittsburgh, PA. Fortunately I have relatives in Columbus and Cincinnati OH, so when I go I'll make a stop at either Midwest Photo Exchange (Columbus) or Dodd's Camera (Cincinnati).

• Sad Sad x 1
  9. king_solom0n

king_solom0n Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 9, 2015
    In the metro Atlanta area, we have Showcase Inc. We also have a couple of Best Buy camera experience stores that carry Sony, Fuji, etc. in addition to the usual Canonikon stuff.

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Plus Calumet, Curry's can carry a good stock and we still have quite a few independents. I know what you mean about Jessops, but their prices can be competitive, even compared to online deals, you just need to know what you want before you go in. I've bought 2 cameras from Jessops recently, and the prices were better than I could get from any other reputable seller. Online I've previously found good deals and had great service from Park Cameras and SRS Microsystems.

12. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    IMG_0912.PNG
    AND as a bonus: 2 minutes walk from the Domtoren!

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Well, Google sent me to the local Walmart, which does sell cameras. Such are the joys of living in a small town. There is actually a shop about 60 miles away in Charlottesville.

14. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    FotoVega in the centre of Malaga, Spain. They always have a good selection of Micro Four Thirds cameras and lenses on prominent display in the window, both Olympus and Panasonic (and sometimes Sigma or Samyang lenses for MFT as well). I think it is the lens selection that makes them stand out from chain stores here (e.g. FNAC, El Corte Ingles), some of which may have a reasonable selection of kits but rarely have anything beyond kit zooms.

They sell online as well as through the shop:
    Fotovega

15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    How do you find Hunt's? I was there during a rep showcase and it was a bit chaotic but interesting.

16. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks like we are lucky for stores in Sydney CBD, very close together we have among others I do not go to, Digidirect, Teds, Camera house, fotoRiesel-Digital Camera Warehouse, Georges and Paxtons. Lots of other cheaper stores in the suburbs as well. Prices vary a lot.

17. @Michael

@Michael Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2016
    Minnesota, US
    Michael Janke
    In MN, we are lucky in that we have the family owned National Camera (natcam.com) in town for the last hundred years.

18. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't get to hunts. I think there's one in Cambridge and one in Burlington?? Their on line prices (used and new) have never been compelling to move me away from simply ordering online from B&H. Sometimes I do go to look at a new camera or lens at Best Buy, but I don't expect knowledgeable service there.

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Hunt's in Melrose is the closest to me. That's north of Boston. They're pretty good. I tried to buy my G2 there when it was near the end of it's run, but they didn't have a body only. I didn't want the kit lens. The salesman said I could sell it, but they wouldn't buy it!

I've bought a lot small odd and ends there over the years.

Fred

20. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Houston Camera Exchange and they carry all brands plus conduct workshops.