Your Best Shot: A 72-Hour Blue Ribbon Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by yekimrd, Sep 13, 2012.

1. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    This site has a huge cohesive community of photographers at all skill levels. And yet I find it surprising that apart from the Mu Salon (which is wonderful btw), there are no other active, ongoing photo challenge threads. While the image threads are great, I want to see something that highlights awesome photos from the Mu43 community.

So I propose a 72-Hour Blue Ribbon Challenge. :smile:

As the title suggests, each challenge lasts for 72-Hours. Everyone gets to submit 2 photos in line with the chosen theme. The winner of the previous challenge gets to choose the new theme (topics can be anything under the sun) and serves as the judge for his/her 72-hour challenge.

For obvious purposes, the judge is disqualified from participating in his/her own 72-hour challenge. Instead, he/she should post up to 2 photos as examples to start out the challenge. Should the winner not be able to commit to being the next judge, the responsibility is passed on to the runner-up.

At the end of the 72-hours (we don't have to be strict about 72-hours, especially with time differences depending on where you are on the globe), the judge will name a blue ribbon winner, a runner-up, and 1 honorable mention. As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We may not all agree with the chosen winners; the judge is encouraged (but not required) to state what criteria he used to decide on a winner.

To make sure we don't break any Mu43 rules/regulations, by participating in this thread you are allowing the judge to repost your image for the sole purpose of announcing the winners for "Your Best Shot: A 72-hour Blue Ribbon challenge."

I hope no one minds if I start off the 1st challenge (More importantly, I hope this thread garners enough interest). My chosen theme is...

GORGEOUS CANDIDS
    (Any candid shot of gorgeous people)

This challenge will end on September 16 at approximately 1900 (Eastern US Time).

A couple of belly dancers from the New York Renaissance Faire (taken with the Oly 75-300)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I'll do a daily bump to see if I get any interest at all but will give up by tomorrow AM if no one wants to join in on the fun.

E-M5, P7-14, O12, PL25, O75, O75-300

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Sure I'll participate. A 2 person challenge is a bit on the small side though. ;)

C'mon critics-of-gear-threads..come out and play.

• Like Like x 3
  4. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Mikey, I like the general idea of this but why 72 hrs ? It seems a bit too rushed - maybe give people a week then we know it starts and ends on a set day and gives people time to mull over the images a bit.

5. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Actually, you would be the only contender so far because since I'm judging the first (and hopefully not the last) one, I'm automatically disqualified. :p

6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i like the concept but more like, post something you shot within the 72-hours. i, myself, can't promise to be able to post due to busy schedule but I just might :)

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    The thought of a whole week did cross my mind but I wanted to differentiate it from the Mu Salon which is every 2 weeks. Also, I wanted to keep the challenges rotating and fresh (a daily challenge would be too short). We can certainly change it for next time but again am not even sure if there are any takers. :crying: If there's enough potential joiners, I'll certainly start a new thread for a weekly challenge instead.

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Rhoydotp, just to clarify. Did you mean that a challenge where you post something you shot within the last 72 hours would hold more interest for you? My intention was that you can pull out from your archive of photos to fit the current theme. I'm sure everyone's busy -- I myself only shoot on weekends.

9. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    yes, that's what I meant. maybe we can do a "Weekend Blue Ribbon" challenge instead. i think it promotes people actually going out and not just looking at old pictures that fit the bill :)

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    • Like Like x 3
  11. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I think I like that. I actually like that a lot. I'll start another thread in time for this weekend. :)

12. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    This was from last year, so does it not count now??
    Some lovely ladies at the annual FL/GA game in Jacksonville.
    EPL2 w/Canon FD 100mm 2.8

6300464565_067d1f80cd_b.

• Like Like x 3
  13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Ah yes, I was confused by the idea...photos taken within a 72 hour period, not a short lived contest where you can pull from your archives.

14. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    so it needs to be a candid of a beautiful person taken in the next 72 hours? Do I have it correct now?

15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Pic can be taken when ever and the contest duration is 72hrs

16. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    I apologize for causing the confusion. It can be photos from any time frame (old or new) and the contest runs for 72 hours only

I was suggesting something for next time.

Sorry ... Please move along :)

17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Now that we have a few takers, we will just move along then. So to clarify, you can pull photos from your archive. Next week, depending on how we do here, we can try the other idea, which I really really do like.

18. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    This counts. Thanks for participating. :)

19. Tom M

Tom M Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Georgia/Maine
    Tom
    • Like Like x 3
  20. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

My two samples

1ef2d3f6a3d4569e3a34664ad91bd3d0_60e.

bc67dba7c50c23dd2c118f6a85e085d1_362.