1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Your best guess: Availability of 100-400 / 300 f4 / E-M1 Mk ii

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by TwoWheels, Aug 11, 2015.

1. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I've pretty much decided to upgrade my m4/3 gear and attempt to continue ignoring the irrational FF voices in my head. But I'm struggling a bit with whether to buy a used E-M1, 40-150/2.8 and teleconverter or wait until the next generation comes out. C-AF performance is important to me and I'm guessing that will be improved with the E-M1 mk ii. I also don't want to buy an E-M1 then have the "new and improved" version come out a few months later. The range and expected size of the 100-400 is appealing to me. On the other hand, life is short and I don't want to spend the next one or two years relying on my old 7D or being frustrated with the m4/3 outfit I have--E-M5 with P45-150--for my occasional attempts at birds, bees, bugs, animals and sports.

Based on historical patterns, product life cycles, industry events, etc. what are your informed (or uninformed) guesses about when these might actually be in stock and available?

2. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    For the start you can buy E-M1 because is very cheap now - you can get it for about 800$, if and when E-M1 mk2 will be in the store ( i dont belive it will be before 10/2016 ) it will be at least 1500$ so its not even close, and you can always use "old" em1 for second body later.., if you want to buy new try to find E-M1 +12-40PRO kit - i belive it have good price now i USA..

if you want a cheap and good tele lens than buy 50-200 2.8-3.5 used for about 300$ - it will be very good it works great on E-M1 and is 4x cheper than 40-150 PRO ..

when will 300 PRO and 100-400 came and how much it will cost - that one not even God knows.. :(

I had also same dilema, to buy Nikon D750 + 24-120 + sigma 150-600 or stay on Olympus ( E-M1 + 12-60 + 50-200 ) - i had luck and get call from Olympus representative and now I'am on E-M1 + 12-40 + 40-150 and I'am happy, still wondering if would it be better that i get Nikon way but when I look at my system in small shoulder bag and about 1.5kg it put smile on my face and i know i will carry it everywhere with me and I'am not so sure that I would carry my Nikon with 2kg and 25cm Sigma everywhere ;)
    - photography is a hobby and not a competition :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    The 300f4 you may see before Christmas. The p100-400 not even a rumor

I don't think Oly can afford to wait the usual cycle time for the em1-mk2. Too many new cameras from EVERY OEM recently to sit on the current.

A used em1 and 50-200 swd will serve you well in the meantime and hold there value very well. Any lens investment won't be lost when you upgrade body, so go for it in the used Markey.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I could be snarky here and ask what particular reason drives you to want any of these currently unobtainable items; what images will they let you produce that currently-available kit won't allow? However, I can be a gear nerd too, so I'll take a pop:

- 300 f4: end of 2015
    - 100-400: mid 2016
    - E-M1ii : mid 2016

Neither of the lenses interests me at all (I don't do a lot of long lens stuff so the cheap and superb 50-200 does a grand job), but the E-M1ii ?... I fear if it's got a Usable Hi-Res mode or a better sensor with lower noise then I'll be sorely tempted (unless they put a stupid camcorder-style articulated screen on like they do with the E-M5ii and then I'll be completely torn!).

• Like Like x 2
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Note the 50-200mm SWD would need an adapter; the MMF-3 ($150USD new) is the recommended one as it is weather-sealed.

Also, it can work with the EC-14 teleconverter which can be found used for ~$100USD lately.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    It's a tough decision on the cameras. The E-M1 is a fantastic camera that would serve you well, but I also expect its successor to be at least as much of an upgrade as we saw between the E-M5 models, probably even more so. So if you anticipate buyer's remorse down the road if you buy now, it'll probably happen.

You just have to decide if you can wait for it (and in the meantime just focus on other types of shooting that the E-M5 can do just as well as the E-M1), or that you'd rather get something else now. You can always sell it later and recoup some of your losses so that you can get the new stuff. Or, maybe you can hold onto both. I think having at least two cameras for the system can come in handy. If one goes down, if you want to carry both so you don't have to change lenses, or if you take someone else out with you, etc... For me, the Mk II won't replace my E-M1, it will replace my old E-M5.

For the lenses I think it's less of a dilemma. Whatever you may get now shouldn't be totally redundant with the 300 pro or the 100-400. If you don't want any of the 4/3 lenses mentioned, get a 40-150 pro and the teleconverter. It won't get you all the way, but it'll get you close, still be relevant later, and you'd already have the teleconverter to use on the 300.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I second the 40-150 Pro and teleconverter. It focuses quickly, smoothly and quietly. The 40-150 is incredibly sharp, fast and the 1.4x TC gets you to more than 8x magnification with very little loss of sharpness. The same TC can get you to almost 17x magnification when you eventually get the 300mm f4.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Fair question and one that should be asked more often. As I'm relatively GAS averse and a little frugal by nature, I try to ask myself this frequently. In this case, it's a clearly defined desire/need to have functional C-AF, get additional reach and have sharp results at the long end. If I this new outfit works, I would sell my entire Canon 7D outfit (including 70-200/2.8 with 1.4x) so it would actually be cost neutral for me. I would also end up with two bodies (E-M1 and GM1) instead of three (E-M5, GM1 and 7D) and one system instead of two.

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Are you finding your 45-150mm too short, or too slow focusing, or too slow an aperture?

Barry

10. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Ummm...Yes. I want something longer, preferably faster (although that's a secondary priority) and with better (continuous) autofocus. Also, my copy is generally adequate but not great in terms of sharpness at the long end. The initial acquisition when focusing in good light is quite good. I have no complaints with that. However, any type of C-AF is but a dream (whether that's the E-M5 or the lens) and there is frequently hunting when the light is less than stellar or the contrast isn't great. I'll happily keep the 45-150 for my very lightweight "adventure" kit. But after using the 7D with 70-200/2.8, I'd just like a m4/3 kit that is anywhere near the same level of performance but with more reach.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess I'll be the forum dad:

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    My best guess is a pretty safe bet. None of them will be available in my world until my kids have left University! :boohoo:

Although, by that time, they'll all be in the clearance bins :dance2::dance3::dance3:

:biggrin::biggrin:.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Well, the 40-150mm Pro isn't longer unless you get the MC-14, and then it's 'only' 210mm. My experience is that the hummingbirds and songbirds in my backyard are still too far away at 210mm, but I haven't tried a bird feeder or bird bath.

Also, the elusive covey of quail beyond the yard have proven very difficult to photograph... too far at 210mm, and they don't come out 'til dusk so it's too dark for the ZD 70-300mm. The 300 f4 would definitely be an improvement, but add the MC-14 and it'll be f5.6.

The 50-200SWD + EC14 would get you to ~280mm at f4.9 iirc.
    You could buy a used one, and sell it again for little loss if you're not happy with it, but you'd need the E-M1 for focus to work well.

I haven't really tried C-AF much on my 40-150mm Pro, and I've never had my hands on the 50-200mm, but there probably are others here who have.
    There's also a lot of people here, myself included, who are perfectly happy with S-AF for birds.
    I don't shoot sports much though (so I haven't tried the 40-150mm Pro for sports yet).
    My nephew plays HS football and Lacrosse, and I've found the HS stadiums to be very dark. The 40-150mm Pro should do OK though, as I was able to get some semi-decent shots last year with the 70-300 and high ISOs. The 75mm f1.8 would probably be ideal for HS (from the bleachers), if it focuses reasonably quickly. If you can get closer, the 4xmm lenses would probably be a good choice as well.

I took the m.ZD 40-150mm R to an NBA game in January (because the Pro wouldn't have passed security rules). I was mostly shooting around 120-135mm, f5 or so, ISO800 (light is decent at NBA games), and it focused OK but the pictures weren't extremely sharp (but many were not bad at all) mostly due to shutter speeds not being as high as they should be. The Pro would have been much better here if it had been allowed.
    I tried C-AF for a few minutes but decided S-AF was good enough as I wasn't very interested in bursts. Maybe if I was sitting closer, but then a shorter lens such as my 45mm would have been fine.
    Also, I found it hard to follow the action if I zoomed in to 150mm trying to get closer to filling the frame. The same was true with the HS Lacrosse beyond 75mm (and I could have moved closer at the Lacrosse game).

Sorry if I'm rambling...

Barry

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    if 150mm is enough for you ( 300mm on 35 format ) then buy 40-150 PRO and you will be happy, is sharp as eagle eye, brutally fast AF in normal light ( ok fast in low light situation ), great build and min focus is 70cm only so its very useable - great lens if 150mm is enough or ig you will buy 300 f/4 later..

C-AF works good but you git to know some tehnique - 9-box af ( not 1 box ), you got to do some things in menu setup and you will be ok and get nice hit ratio - and ypu will have nice and light lens setup and when e-m1 mk2 will be in shop it will have new itteration of af which will have much better c-af for sure... leter lens will be important not body..

• Like Like x 1
  15. plamski

plamski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    FL
    Plamen
    I have E-M1 and 40-150 Pro it covers most of my needs. With the current M1 price and 40-150 eBay occasionally deals {$1096 for like new,last week}nothing can beat that combo.

VooDoo64 can you give us a hint for those "do some things in menu setup" for improving C-AF tracking?

16. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry

The estimate from the regional Panny rep I talked to was Q2 2016, but my guess this is a just a paper date at the moment.

The E-M1 will make a fantastic second body, and the 50-200 is a steal right now.

17. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    But then they will want to do a Masters or a Doctorate and it starts again ... :whistling:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    You and I are wondering about the same thing. And I already have an E-M1, and the 40-150/TC. The improvement those items brought me over the E-M5 were significant, in terms of C-AF, and low light reach. Having said that, I expect that the 3 previously mentioned items will also drop a significant improvement on the system, when they are released. A new improved E-M1, with new supertelephotos to help it live up to it's potential, is what a lot of people are waiting for. I for one believe that if they just get on it and get these items out, we may see a tide of APS-C shooters unwilling to move to FF, finally decide to move to m4/3, and the slammin' lens system we have, built around our sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    "But then they will want to do a Masters or a Doctorate and it starts again ... :whistling:"
    And you think that's all? Then there's the grandkids, of course! Can you hear the sobs?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    "More problematically, the default 'release priority' setting for C-AF mode results in a high number of missed shots. Disengaging this setting (Menu/Custom Menu/C/Rls Priority C) will greatly improve the camera's hit-rate without having too much of an impact on frame rate."

so put " Rls Priority C" on off -- because if it stay ON / ( default ), than it take picture even if af didnt lock ( is not in focus ) - it doing it to get 9fps

• Like Like x 1