1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

You think YOU have GAS? Not like this, I bet.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Does your significant other (or your own conscience) sometimes bug you about the amount of photographic gear you've collected? If so, here's proof that someone living in the Bay Area has had a more extreme case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome than you.

Came across (via PopPhoto) this absolutely bonkers collection of camera gear on eBay. The listing doesn't even attempt to provide any sort of inventory, except to state that the collection includes basically EVERY major brand and "1,000+" pieces of gear. There are only four photos showing the collection sprawling across at least one decent sized room.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Huge-lot-of-old-cameras-collection-for-Sale-1-000-Pieces-of-SLR-RF-Medium-/00/s/NTc2WDc5NA==/$T2eC16FHJHgE9n0yDjZuBQQ!ZTnRPQ~~60_12.JPG" />
    [/URL]

The price currently sits at the opening bid of US$35k, with a Buy It Now option at $50k.

Is anybody interested in putting together a consortium to go in on this treasure trove? I figure we can pool our money and then have a "draft" where we each get to select a piece of gear with the draft order set by the contribution amount. I'm in for $100. :wink:

[B]EDIT:[/B] update new eBay listing

• Like Like x 3
  2. Wayneb

Wayneb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    Not me, I have enough old cameras. I counted about a dozen old Argus C3 cameras in one photo, how many bricks do you need?

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Actually, maybe you're on to something. With a bit of mortar one could probably construct a pretty sweet garden wall or shed or dark room or something.

4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    OMG - some collection - that reminds me - I must stop buying stuff on ebay !!!!
    Rob

5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Um. Wow.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    shipping is $1,000

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like this line "Many cameras are in working condition"

Positive enough to sound encouraging, but vague enough to remain non-committal. What is "many?" 10? What is "working condition" -- if the shutter release and advancement lever work, but not a built-in light meter, is that working condition? What if everything works, but there is lens fungus?

Any one want to become a curator for scrap metal?

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'd expect just the materials to package this stuff up correctly for shipment would eat up a good portion of that. Besides, when you're spending $35k plus for a bunch of gear you'll probably never use, the extra $1k for shipping seems incidental.

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It seems crazy to bid on something with so little details..unless you can blow up the pics enough to make out exactly what sort of models/quantity are in there to confirm they all actually make it to you.

10. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
  11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Wow there is actually 1 bid. Some people have serious money to burn.

12. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    The bidder probably forgot to ask if they ship to Nigeria.

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    For 50K -- or even 35K -- I'd want a detailed inventory, including at least cursory descripitons: "works" "lens scratched" -- nothing too detailed but enough to let you know what you are buying.

Not that I have that kind of money, mind you. Just sayin'.

14. Wayneb

Wayneb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    It seems crazy to bid on old used cameras that can have lots of problems, unless you go through them one by one and check them out you could end up with a ton of junk. Here in Southern California we have really good used camera swap meets where you could piece together a nice collection with quality cameras, lots of stuff he has I used to find at thrift stores for next to nothing.

15. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I'm planning on saving this photograph just so when the wife complains about my purchases, I can whip it out and say I could be like THIS!!!!!! I reckon it will do alot to make her less hostile ;P

• Like Like x 3
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    You could probably make your money back........ Eventually.

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, just . . . wow! Wow for all the gear, wow for the price. :eek: :biggrin:

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Less hostile? Sure that will work.

• Like Like x 1
  19. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Get a small business loan, buy this collection, resell the whole thing piecemeal on Ebay over the next couple of years. You could probably at least triple your money.

Or if you wanted to speed it up you could separate it into lots and just double your money in less than half the time.

20. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If I were local, I'd go check it out. There are definitely some nice cameras mixed in with all the junk. It would be a no-brainer at $10,000. But as others have pointed out many have no value even IF they work. I'm sure the bid is from someone who has had a chance to look through the collection. Or it's just some joker who never intends to buy anything.