You know what's fun like a jigsaw puzzle?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by KBeezie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Disassembling a lens from 1945, and having two loose glass elements and shims fall out, and then trying to hypothesize not only which order the elements go back in, but which direction they face once inside the lens assembly (and it's not like there's a block diagram for it online).

:p Fortunately with a couple combinations on what seemed the most logical with the correct shim placement and double-checking against a ground glass and loupe I was able to get it back together correctly after cleaning the elements. It was mainly figuring out the direction of the shim/collar and which direction the middle element faced.

_t100014_1920_by_kbeezie-dauvxro.

I haven't run a roll thru it since the cleaning yet, but these are two I shot before cleaning, the first one about last year sometimes, and the second from 9 years ago.

MJXT5Ex.

cfe0701fac7be2c6.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 27, 2016
    Nicely done!!!
    Where did you learn camera repair?

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Wow! Karl you are a brave man, congrats! What film are you using, 400?

4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Nothing currently loaded, but seeing as the shutter can go up to 1/1,000th I could use P3200 in it.
    But it will more likely be Tri-X 400 or Ilford FP4+ 125 for the current semester.

Not sure about brave, it was working before, just a bit hazy on the optics.

In the pictures shown, the color one was an old roll of Kodak Gold 200, the sepia colored one was Kodaj BW400CN (Chromagenic B&W, basically C41 film that can be processed like normal color film, but renders as a B&W image).

Online mostly for the little stuff or very specific stuff (For example Canon has a lot of old Service Manuals scanned floating around online)

But I worked at The Camera Center LLC until it went out of business in 2007, and picked up a lot of with tricks and tweaks to correcting common problems in certain models of cameras (like the shutter being locked up on a Hasselblad 500 lens when it's tripped outside of the body, or calibrating rangefinders on common models).

elmar_store.

My currently working Rangefinders are here (Had the Mercury II and Fed-2A since before 2012, the Russian Fed was professionally serviced before I got it, so it's like a reliable and accurate tank, that shoots as smooth as a serviced Leica.).

Used to have quite a bit more, but I had to sell most of them off around 2011-2012 when I had a rough patch.

0QND3lW.

• Like Like x 3