You know "black friday" is out of control when...

Mu-43 Legend
You know "black friday" is out of control...

A month ago, we had our garage door openers replaced by a local overhead door company. Today I got a "Black Friday Savings" email from them about buying new garage doors or garage door openers. Maybe this works for them, but I would think garage doors aren't really Christmas gifts (but honey, it's the new LiftMaster 3000 with two remotes and more sensitive close control - kind of like this guy), and you either need one or you don't. Doesn't seem like much of an impulse buy that a new lens might be (or sweater or electronics or even a trip away). What's the next black friday special - toilets?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Growing up, my brother and I were the early model LiftMasters. We always had to get out and open the garage door when the chariot arrived. And we didn’t have a nice aluminum door, but a heavy wood door on tired old springs. You became a qualified opener when you were tall enough to reach the handle. It was a happy day when dad got a non-human garage door opener. Little did he know it could have been a Christmas gift!

BlackrazorNZ

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Daniel
Makes about as much sense as when I bought a toilet seat online and Amazon spent the next 6 months trying to sell me a wide range of associated toilet seatery.

I was replacing a toilet seat, Amazon. Not collecting them. Or creating a toilet seat themed movie theatre.

Mu-43 Legend
Growing up, my brother and I were the early model LiftMasters. We always had to get out and open the garage door when the chariot arrived. And we didn’t have a nice aluminum door, but a heavy wood door on tired old springs. You became a qualified opener when you were tall enough to reach the handle. It was a happy day when dad got a non-human garage door opener. Little did he know it could have been a Christmas gift!
When I was a kid, my dad said of the people who recently moved in across the street "they're the kind who added an automatic garage opener" - wealthy was a relative term in our lower middle class section of town (we were the last house with color TV and the last ones with cable).

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
It is crazy if we are to measure a person's worth by the gadgets they own and display!

However, conspicuous consumption has been the order of the day since my late childhood.

Whatever happened to concepts such as duty, honour, honesty, kindness, community, neighbourliness and the like? Far more important than mere possessions ...

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
We were totally skint when I was a kid and dad was 'away working for the Queen' for most of my childhood.

I was a polite child who went to Sunday School, but otherwise, the moral highground stinks.

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
Look what arrived in my email for Cyber Monday....

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.50.12 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom