1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

You just got a new Olympus... what are the first settings you change?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ekimneems, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ekimneems

ekimneems Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2018
    I just upgraded my E-M10 Mark 1 to a Mark 3 and it got me thinking... I've had my camera settings, LV display, everything the same since day 1, and I'm wondering if maybe I've just been so used to the way I'm shooting that there are some settings I should be changing from the defaults.

So if you just got yourself a new Oly, what are the first things you're changing?

2. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    The function buttons (one is used for ISO/WB and a second one for manual focus), then I turn on SCP.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I switch to RAW or RAW+JPG and also makes sure JPG compression is set to Super Fine (least amount of compression).

Noise filter I set from "Standard" to Low. Since I normally use the RAW file this setting is not this critical, but does effect the JPG if you don't shoot raw.

The default ISO step setting is usually 1/3 steps. Kind of a weird one perhaps, but I prefer whole 1EV ISO steps. So when I change ISO it will be 200, 400, 800, etc. No in between ones. Basically it makes it easy for my slow brain to do mental calculation of what shutter or aperture will be if my ISO changes are in whole stops. Auto ISO mode still uses 1/3EV steps so the setting only affects when I specifically pick an ISO.

On a related note, in Auto ISO mode, my E-M1 has a default setting of allow up to 1600. I change that to 3200 to allow the camera a bit more latitude.

File name from "Reset" to "Auto". Have always done this on my Oly's from way back. I don't want the camera resetting to the beginning the file name when I change cards. And all the rest of my setting really don't have anything to do with the photo output like assigning buttons, MySets, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ekimneems

ekimneems Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2018
    This is great stuff, thanks all.

I definitely have set my FN buttons (usually one to Peaking and the other to MF) but now I'm thinking I'll use S-AF+MF (haven't used that much), and then I can change the other to 2x magnification or something else like WB/ISO

6. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    +1 weird one here!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Pixel map, enable RAW, turn auto-warm WB off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I wouldn't change anything. Use the camera. If something gets in your way or isn't to your own personal liking, then change it. But don't go off of other's individual preference as they may not apply to you.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    First two things I'd do: set File Name to Auto and activate SCP.

• Like Like x 3
  10. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    As @relic@relic says, SCP is the very first thing activated, it makes everything seem so much easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It isn't called auto-warm WB. It is called "WB Auto Keep Warm Color".
    If the scene is very warm, it keeps it somewhat warm.
    It has no effect at all on normal outdoor photos, or flash photos.
    On indoor shots with house lighting, which is warm, the photos will look warm and natural. But if you turn it off they will look unnatural.
    The default setting, on, is good for many people, don't change it unless you understand why.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I use the spreadsheet from biofos.com for tracking settings; many of the settings seem to carry across most Oly bodies.

13. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2015
    BBF on afl/ael button
    disable EVF sensor (I tap the button to switch)
    disable auto-playback of images
    change exposure comp to thumb dial
    turn off the "keep warm wb" (new to me with the em1.2 and the penf)
    raw+jpg as default
    3:2 ratio, and evf style2 I think
    default focus set to "small" center point

forgot this - Disable autopreview

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I turn off the keep warm or whatever it’s called. To me it makes indoor photos unnaturally red. But white balance is something I honestly struggle with. It’s the one thing I can change many times trying to get it how I like it and then when I think I have it, I come back later and change it again.

15. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    White balance:keep warm color off. Then, activate SCP and disable autopreview.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Activate SCP and focus peaking ( black ).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Nelson, NZ
    David
    Enable SCP, and turn on and set up the copyright settings.

Of course it does not have to be for a new camera. There are a few times I have found a factory reset is good to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Alabanza
    I have the E-M10 III as well!

The very first thing I did when I received it was enable the SCP via the OK button in PASM modes. Second thing was change the JPEG compression to super fine. Third and fourth? Set the file name to Auto and alter the functionalites of the two function buttons so they would enable magnification and focus peaking instead.

Overall, and I know I'm diverging a bit, but I think the silver Mark III is a beautiful looking camera. One of the OM-D lines best in terms of aesthetics, alongside the E-M5 II.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like to have my 4 way buttons set to Direct Function so that the AF target is only selected with the left button since the right button might be inadvertently pressed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Activate SCP. Disable autopreview. Enable superfine JPEGs. Auto filenames. Copyright info. 4-way to direct function.

Buttons and dials vary according to which body and over time. I've not used any of the E-M10s so I don't know how many customisable controls they have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.