You ever drop or almost drop your m43 cause it is sooo small?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by slackercruster, Jul 23, 2012.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    I learned a lesson today. Came within a hairs width of dropping my Oly on the ground. Seems the small package can be hard to hold onto.

Lesson learned...keep the wrist strap on!
  2. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    I already have done so. It dropped about 5 feet onto a rectangular metal bar. Ironically this happened while I was trying out different cases for the camera. :wink: The metal body is very sturdy but it will deform. Camera still works, even after some correctional hammering.
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i drop it constantly
    but its attached to me via wrist strap
    it does give other people a heart attack tho
    i dont think twice about it, but when im near someone that doesnt know me or isnt used to it, i get a lot of hands thrust towards me with gasps of panic and then "omg you have me a heart attack!"

i DID set my ep3 on the floor of the car between my feet once while i was rummaging for something in a bag in my lap, my buddy hit a bump, and it flipped forward a bit, and in a panic i threw myself at it to save it, and ended up over compensating and it flipped back and a TEENCY lil chip came off the very bottom edge under the screen. it was the worlds least amount of movement to produce disastrous new camera effect... the camera was 2 days old.

4. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    I try not to put stuff on the floor. I put my glasses down one time forgot they were there and stepped on them and they broke. I'm clutzy like that. The other day I was shooting in a cemetary and put a lens cap on a gravestone. Forgot where I laid it walked away and it took me 20 min to find it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    I drop it from the table but manage to catch it on the strap on the way down. MIssed
    the floor by 2 inches. Its good they are small/light but can be a problem. I am a lot
    more careful now.
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I came very close to dropping the little bar of soap aka E-PM1 before installing the Flipbac G4 grip. No further near misses!
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, I haven't. That's why I like cameras with grips, like the GH2.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My E-PL1 took a tumble of about two foot when it fell out of my bag and onto some hard tiles. I could not for the life of me find a mark on the body to indicate the point of impact. When carrying the camera I always use the neck strap and wrap it around my right index finger so I can maintain hold of the loop if I was to ever drop the camera, but it is easier to release than a wriststrap. Obviously by keeping the neckstrap I can safely hang the camera around my neck if I need to use both hands for something.
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    That's not the problem IMHO. It is the poor-to-nonexistent grip designs of many of these bodies. Pretty much like a soap bar.

The grip is a major reason I keep with my G1s and am looking hard at the G5. I also enhance my camera bodies with grippy tape at strategic places. Not pretty, but effective. (
  11. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I dropped one of my OM-Ds out the door of the truck yesterday on to some hard dirt when we came to a stop too shoot some background plates for my job with the Canon I DX. It was too small to notice at my feet when I opend the door and out it went Seems fine with no signs of any problems, stronger camera than I though1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cameras? No.

I did drop a Nokton 25mm F0.95 and left a hefty ding in my desktop. The dent reminds me everyday to hold on carefully!
  13. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I have been pretty good with my writ strap, but my first SLR fell off a table and landed on the lens, subsequently the latching system broke and i could never attach THAT lens properly again (it was my only lens). From then on, unless it was a cheap-O device (i.e. small point and shoot, cheap phone), it got a strap.

Scrapes, scratches and scuffs though, I GOT PLENTY OF THOSE!!!