You ever drop or almost drop your m43 cause it is sooo small?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by slackercruster, Jul 23, 2012.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    I learned a lesson today. Came within a hairs width of dropping my Oly on the ground. Seems the small package can be hard to hold onto.

Lesson learned...keep the wrist strap on!

2. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    I already have done so. It dropped about 5 feet onto a rectangular metal bar. Ironically this happened while I was trying out different cases for the camera. :wink: The metal body is very sturdy but it will deform. Camera still works, even after some correctional hammering.

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i drop it constantly
    but its attached to me via wrist strap
    it does give other people a heart attack tho
    i dont think twice about it, but when im near someone that doesnt know me or isnt used to it, i get a lot of hands thrust towards me with gasps of panic and then "omg you have me a heart attack!"

;) 

i DID set my ep3 on the floor of the car between my feet once while i was rummaging for something in a bag in my lap, my buddy hit a bump, and it flipped forward a bit, and in a panic i threw myself at it to save it, and ended up over compensating and it flipped back and a TEENCY lil chip came off the very bottom edge under the screen. it was the worlds least amount of movement to produce disastrous new camera effect... the camera was 2 days old.

lol

4. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    I try not to put stuff on the floor. I put my glasses down one time forgot they were there and stepped on them and they broke. I'm clutzy like that. The other day I was shooting in a cemetary and put a lens cap on a gravestone. Forgot where I laid it walked away and it took me 20 min to find it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I drop it from the table but manage to catch it on the strap on the way down. MIssed
    the floor by 2 inches. Its good they are small/light but can be a problem. I am a lot
    more careful now.

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I came very close to dropping the little bar of soap aka E-PM1 before installing the Flipbac G4 grip. No further near misses!

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    No, I haven't. That's why I like cameras with grips, like the GH2.

9. My E-PL1 took a tumble of about two foot when it fell out of my bag and onto some hard tiles. I could not for the life of me find a mark on the body to indicate the point of impact. When carrying the camera I always use the neck strap and wrap it around my right index finger so I can maintain hold of the loop if I was to ever drop the camera, but it is easier to release than a wriststrap. Obviously by keeping the neckstrap I can safely hang the camera around my neck if I need to use both hands for something.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    That's not the problem IMHO. It is the poor-to-nonexistent grip designs of many of these bodies. Pretty much like a soap bar.

The grip is a major reason I keep with my G1s and am looking hard at the G5. I also enhance my camera bodies with grippy tape at strategic places. Not pretty, but effective. (https://www.mu-43.com/f43/non-slip-tape-camera-21301/)

11. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I dropped one of my OM-Ds out the door of the truck yesterday on to some hard dirt when we came to a stop too shoot some background plates for my job with the Canon I DX. It was too small to notice at my feet when I opend the door and out it went Seems fine with no signs of any problems, stronger camera than I though1

• Like Like x 1
  12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cameras? No.

I did drop a Nokton 25mm F0.95 and left a hefty ding in my desktop. The dent reminds me everyday to hold on carefully!

13. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I have been pretty good with my writ strap, but my first SLR fell off a table and landed on the lens, subsequently the latching system broke and i could never attach THAT lens properly again (it was my only lens). From then on, unless it was a cheap-O device (i.e. small point and shoot, cheap phone), it got a strap.

Scrapes, scratches and scuffs though, I GOT PLENTY OF THOSE!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.