1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

You can order GH4 in UK ... check the price.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by senicphoto, Feb 13, 2014.

1. senicphoto

senicphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Toronto
  2. Box Brownie

Box Brownie Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Essex, England
    Why would anyone buy a thing like that for TWO THOUSAND POUNDS!!!!!!.....you can have a real camera for that!

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    maybe because at "TWO THOUSAND POUNDS!!!" for a video camera that shoots at 4K, it's somewhat of a bargain

http://www.pdnonline.com/gear/6-Cameras-to-Ease-Yo-8804.shtml

K

• Like Like x 1
  4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    5Y warranty...

5. senicphoto

senicphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Toronto
    I agree but at the same time Sony's new FDR-AX100 (4K) sells for $2,000 USD. I believe if Panasonic keeps this price they should be ready for some tough competition in 4K video market.

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
  7. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I think $1,700 US is a fair price for what this camera can do.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    that sony and the GH4 are really pitching at different parts of the market.... Sony is smaller sensor,has fixed lens, and what looks to be a more restricted set of framerates.... its just a consumer camcorder on steroids in my opinion... whereas I see the GH4 as appealling more to indie film/documentary makers.

we will see... I am still not convinced that 4K isn't just the new 3D.... very clever, but not really needed for most people right now

K

• Like Like x 3
  9. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Look at the capabilities of this camera. Top class IQ for stills and video. Small system size (relative to APS-C , 35mm bodies). 4k video capability. Weather sealing. A new autofocus system which may prove to a turning point for non-dslr based systems in sports photography....
    It easily justifies it's price. Simply because there is nothing available to compete with it at the same price point from a functional perspective and that is before we get into the size, etc...

• Like Like x 1
  10. senicphoto

senicphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Toronto
    I can't agree more. GH4 seems to be a huge leap forward not only for M43 but digital cameras all together. In my opinion, GH4 falls into really unknown category. Although Panasonic made a lot of improvements including AF system, processing engine/algorithms, overall speed and much more, I think GH4 will be appreciated more as a video powerhouse than outstanding photo camera.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Damn pretend cameras, dunno why they keep popping up...

12. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Gotta wonder what qualifies as a "real camera"....

13. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Don't feed the trolls :)

14. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    It also says that price is to be confirmed. It's not set yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm hoping that this stays under $1500 USD, because I don't think it's worth much if any more than the EM1 from a stills perspective. I prefer it to the em1 due to ergonomics and flip out LCD, but the video quality doesn't mean much to me.

If Panasonic keeps the price at $2000, they may be hurting themselves in the photography market because there are some fantastic camera bodies for $1500-$2000. The excellent value of the 4k video is only appealing to those for whom video is a priority.

16. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I don't think 4K is the new 3D, however there is a distinct lack of 4K media available considering the stores are now full of 4K TV's ... it's much worse than when the change to Blu Ray and 1080p was happening.

There's some good conversation going on on the EOSHD and PV forums ... lots of movie makers are liking 4K not for it's 4K ability, but for what it looks like when converted to 1080p.

As an aside, 4K might be just a temporary solution, much the same way 720p was? 8K may be the real deal and akin to the rapid shift from 720p to 1080p we all saw take place.

It seems to me that as the world slowly shifts to a movie-on-demand type model, broadband speeds and infrastructure are the real issues holding back ultra HD. I don't think this will be fixed in a hurry.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    All digital technology is just a temporary solution....:rolleyes:

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    ... and, for completion, all analog technology is just an obsolete solution.... :rolleyes: :hide:

19. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Poor Panasonic. Lose, lose, lose. They offer a camera that offers more than any other camera, and people want to ask for a bargain price because they don't want everything it offers. What you really want, is a bespoke camera, customised for your exact needs of the day, at a mass production price. Totally unreasonable. Or simply buy a lesser camera! :smile:

I hope its price is a fair price for what it offers. For everything it offers. Maybe 10% less. I'm keen on value.

20. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Haha, I never said it's overpriced in general. I said it may be overpriced for the segment of consumers who are only interested in photographic needs.