You can get amazing results directly from your camera......

Real Name
Siegfried
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice and thanks for you're work on explaining Workspace.
I am a heavy Workspace user and want to share an action I have been using lately.

At 1th I export a low contrast image (jpg/tiff) after bringing the contrast slider down and adjust the black and whites to a wanted low contrast level.

2e I export an slightly overdone contrast rich image after pulling up the contrast slider and adjusting the curves.

Then i open these 2 images as layers in the free programm Paint.net.

The magic begins after: choose layer properties and adjust opacity to needs.
Hello - I tried your technique and have a question....
- Do you use a blending mode?
- Which one of the two images are on top... 🙂

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Regular
Hello - I tried your technique and have a question....
- Do you use a blending mode?
- Which one of the two images are on top... 🙂
Because with workspace you cannot easily evaluate an adjustment, I regularly export.
For example with the exposure compensation +1 export, +1 export etc.
Then I check with faststone which lighting I like.

Yes, that is time consuming.

Now your question, I use the normal blend mode for contrast correction and put the high-contrast image on top. So if the slider is to the right at 255, you will only see the high-contrast photo. Drag the slider to the left to for example 170 and you will see a mix.

Sometimes I use lighten or darken blend modes in cases where I use the same technique again to adjust the sharpness at the end.

Last edited:
Real Name
Siegfried
Because with workspace you cannot easily evaluate an adjustment, I regularly export.
For example with the exposure compensation +1 export, +1 export etc.
Then I check with faststone which lighting I like.

Yes, that is time of consumption.

Now your question, I use the normal blend mode for contrast correction and put the high-contrast image on top. So if the slider is to the right at 255, you will only see the high-contrast photo. Drag the slider to the left to for example 170 and you will see a mix.

Sometimes I use lighten or darken blend modes in cases where I use the same technique again to adjust the sharpness at the end.
Thank you...
I studied many of your images you posted on this forum and its clear, one can see you have a distinct image style - this is exactly why I wrote the article....
I see photographers do a lot of effort to create a brand or image look by which people will recognize the photographer's work....
With you sharing your technique one can see how you achieve your image look - great job, thank you....
Just a thought - don't know if you tried this yet....
If you edit the same image in the camera, one with low contrast and the other higher contrast and you use the Edit, Image Overlay function - Will be interesting to see if you can get your image look in the camera....
Best

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Regular
Connected to the PC an E-PL8 has no option to copy edit

I did export a low and high contrast image with the in camera edit tabs. It's working. but not yet to my liking, it may just be because I don't have the right hardware with an e-pl8.

With "current" you take over the camera setting, but then I cannot adjust exposure. You can adjust exposure in the "custom" edit menu, but there you have no choice between contrast 1,2,3,4,5 .. or switch between Auto or Normal graduation.

For those looking for a simple and complete editing solution, the camera, WorkSpace and the OI Share App offers a consistent editing environment that all looks and feel the same and its free - not a bad achievement Olympus...
I agree with you here, I also have an ipad on the go and it works exactly as you describe it. Simple with not too many bells and whistles but just enough to make an improvement or not.

Another strength of Workspace is that you can batch export, I do not know if you have already written about it in your blog, but as far as exporting is concerned you can let the app go with a lot of different batch files, it will not disappoint while you make yourself a cup of coffee or play a game of backgammon.

Real Name
Siegfried
Update

Correction.... In my previous post I wrote these additional setting are only available with the EM1,2. This is the case when you only look at the SCP - The same "SCP options" are available with the EM10,3. With older Olympus cameras like the EM5,2 and the PM2 you will see these additional color settings on the ART Filter selection screen.... This is really interesting as it makes these filters more flexible and adjustable. Add to this the ability to add curves...... See my blog article for more...

Previous post

Something interesting I noticed with the EM1 II, with some ART filters it is possible to add color filters and/or change the monochrome base color. See the image (SCP) below. This was not the case with my Pen F or my EM5 II. These filters are in addition to curves when using ART filters on Olympus OMD and Pen cameras.

These Color filters/Monochrome color "adjustable" ART filters are:
  • Dramatic Tone II
  • Grainy Film 1
  • Grainy Film II
EM1-ART-Filters.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ART-Filters.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
Here's a shot I did totally in-camera. Using a combination of white balance tweaks, art filters, and image overlay.

I made a youtube video of me taking and making this image.

P3240007.JPG

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom