1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

You Can Buy the New Panny 12-32/f3.5-5.6 in Europe & Asia - Kits Only in US

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by twokatmew, Nov 15, 2013.

1. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    The title of this thread should really be changed to Panasonic 12-32 and not Oly 12-32.

2. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    This is how m43s torpedoes itself with stupid decisions. There are North American users that would love to buy that 12-32. Just like they would love to buy a black GX7 at release. Instead we have profit not realized here that said userbase could probably use their money on something else instead of on that lens or body.

Really, really stupid and awful decisions here. Not marketing to the NA market then thinking the NA market "doesn't want" m43s as much as a system.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    The good news is that its going to make it easier to buy the 12-40. I won't have to wonder as much if I should have gone for the 12-32.

I feel sorry for those EU and Asia guys, they will have a more choice and thus harder decisions to make.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    It does appear that the US market gets the shaft quite often when it comes to release date, availability, and options. Not sure what the rationale is behind these decisions.

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
  6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    OOPS! Thanks for pointing that out. Was in a hurry when I posted. Mea culpa! :dash2::dash2::dash2:

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We don't really have a market in NZ :p

9. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    If you were to look at the presence of m43 in photography shops in Asia versus m43 as a system in photography shops in the US or even NON photography shops that carry $1k+ items in North America, you'd see a huge problem:

I can find a Samsung NX in Costco
    I can find Fuji X in smaller, local photography stores
    I have to drive out 30 miles in a dense, urban area to even find a larger chain to see m43 gear and their prices frankly just suck. (I have no problems paying a little more for store overhead, but goes beyond that.)

What does this all have in common? Zero push on m43 for potential customers. You don't see it, you don't know about it and you can't buy it most of the time unless you go online or order from a catalog. How are you going to attract customers when nobody knows about your product?

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think m4/3 is a difficult system to sell for the mass market that is used to DSLRs. You have to actually see and feel a m4/3 camera and look at images to see how good they are for their size and weight. The NX, NEX and X systems are much easier sells as they are APS-C - the salesman just has to say, "hey, they have the 'same' sensor as that impressive-looking DSLR over there". It's also very hard to convince the average consumer about the impressive range of quality lenses in m4/3 when they are content having a 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 fixed on their DSLR.

11. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, it's a gouge IMNSHO. :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yeah, I was just about to say that's asking a lot.

14. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Sensors size should mean nothing to the end user, just as megapixel count should mean nothing. The differences between 10, 16 and 24 are practically pointless when the sensors have other performance characteristics (QE, DR, noise, etc) that equalize them.

Unfortunately my local area is infested with the D800E-with-a-18-200VR(Or 18-300VR). Don't think about that. I just mentally congratulate the salesmen that could of pushed that combination out to the full auto users.

15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=21403

6847491639_0c95b1d918_o.

May be old data but I don't think the trend has changed much. US is dead last. Why wouldn't they concentrate their channels elsewhere? Packaging and establishing a new product number Does Not Come For Free.

My conclusion as to why this is the case is rooted in the cultural differences between the different markets. It mimics the auto industry behaviors as well.

16. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Chicken and egg. If you are not going to aggressively push on a market then complain that it has low sales, then you are only blaming the symptom as the problem. Otherwise, it starts turning into "Americans are idiots that think DSLR shaped objects are superior with big hands that can't hold fabulously smaller cameras" type arguments I keep hearing while I've been wondering "where is m43?" I have been wondering where m43 was because I definitely did not see the E-P1 besides one little commercial in which they claimed the commercial was made on another E-P1.

This logic is also applied to many other things like "fat people are lazy." I don't even want to go there because of the stupidity that has happened to nutrition to the point that grain products are over aggressively pushed onto people as if they were any better.

17. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    When I bought my Epl1 I checked it out at BestBuy.... they had the NEX and I think they had the Epl2 as well...

These cameras were available at Fry's at the time too.... this was a couple years ago, dunno what they carry these days as I consider these establishments as a kind of house of horrors and try not to step foot in them if it's at all within my power.

18. BlackOakMo

BlackOakMo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Oxford Mississippi
    If a sales rep at Glaziers hadn't but a G2 in my hands and spent something like thirty minutes talking to me about it I would have left the store with the Nex I went in for. (and worse, I'd still be shooting in auto).

I thank that rep with all my heart all the time. I only wish he wasn't 2000 miles away from here.
    :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Mu-43 mobile app

19. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I bought an E-P1 two years ago at Best Buy when I needed it right before a trip. Didn't even get gouged that badly on price. But I think Best Buy prides themselves on being a place where you can compare brands, so they have more efforts at diversity than most.