Yosemite Valley Panorama

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by s0nus, Sep 17, 2011.

1. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Slowly but surely I've been processing shots from a recent trip to California. Here's a panorama of Yosemite Valley shot from Glacier Point in the late afternoon. Bit of a cliche shot, but I had to do it. :)

Click on the image for full resolution, which is ~6MB.

Originally, I shot about 7 frames covering ~120 degrees. I cropped most of the right side out for composition. Shot in RAW with the Oly 14-42mm kit lens @ 22mm, f13, ISO 200, 1/500s. PP done in LR3.

Of course, comments and criticism are welcome!

Based on the feedback, I came up with this version:

I realized I was stacking noise reduction in the original in the way I processed it, which led to that "painted" look when you view at 1:1. I consequently reduced the amount of noise reduction done here. I also cropped a little differently, and also turned told PS to correct the geometric distortion during stitching. Further, I ended up leaving the illuminated section in the bottom right instead of painting over it, although I'm not sure I like that. I'm thinking of doing a 3rd version with the same PP as this one, but with the original crop, just straightened a tad. Unfortunately, I'll have to start completely from scratch, since this version was produced from a limited set of source images (essentially pre-cropped, if that makes sense).

It's a bit difficult working with such high-resolution images!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Siiiiiiiigh, all these shots of the US national parks are giving me wanderlust :) Wonderful photo!

Out of interest, has the hill-side in the top right been cleared?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Comments and criticism ?

Comment: Nice work.
    Criticism: I wasn't there !!!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Chuckr53

Chuckr53 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2010
    Estero, FL
    Half Dome

S0nus...nice shot. I was at that exact spot myself this July. For me, Glacier Point was the highlight of Yosemite. I just wish there was a comparable viewpoint for El Capitan!

C&C of your photo.

I think the contrast between the blues of the sky, the gray granite stone mountains, and forest greens is very pleasing.

I know you were going for a panorama, but there's not much of interest on either the far left and far right, so I would focus on making the shot more interesting. Here's what could be done. 1st, you could level the horizon. Then I think you could crop more of the shadows on the right and left, keeping Half Dome and the two waterfalls closer to the Rule of Thirds verticals, and the horizon closer to the upper horizontal Rule of Thirds line.

Looking forward to more you shots.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Personal thoughts.... Don't crop. Shadows add drama and the peak on right adds depth to the whole. Not too "perfect", just right. I like it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Thank you for taking the time to write that! I edited my OP. What do you think?

I tend to agree. I edited the original post - I think I'll try a 3rd version with the same crop as the original but sharper/crisper (note the stacked noise reduction I describe above)

Thank you. I highly doubt it was artificially cleared. Probably disease of some sort. The slope isn't steep enough for that to be caused by avalanche or rock slide; besides, there's a band of healthy trees above that clearing.
  7. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I like the unedited version better, though it's a little dark in the lower corners. Overall, a very nice image.