Yosemite hike

Discussion in 'Nature' started by elim, Apr 10, 2013.

1. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    8639204610_faf6722fc8_c.

Hey guys, this is my first picture sharing thread, and was wanting some advice or critiques? I just recently got back from a camping trip with the gf to Yosemite and took this photo with the 12-50mm kit lens with the omd and polarizer. I had to do a little PP, mainly slight tweaks to contrast, highlights and vibrance in LR. I think I had to this because a lack of ND filter. Let me know what you guys think:smile:

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I like it, keep up the good work.

Probably doesn't need the ND filter, unless you want smoother waterfalls. I like your waterfalls as is. GND might possibly have been of benefit, blacks are a little deep but you could try bring that up in post processing. Or maybe that's the look you want.

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Looks great, may even a trifle too vibrant.

How about some video of the falls? The OMD is a great video machine with refined sound quality if the recording volume is set to Low and Wind Filter is set to High. I bet the video of the OMD would look awesome with your polarizer. Could you tell me what polarizer you used so I can get one myself before I go to Yosemite? Thanks.

4. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    I used the b+w polarizer, the"cheaper"of the two available

5. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I like the way you placed the falls on both the vertical and horizontal thirds. I like the use of diagonals on the left and right which lead the eyes into the falls. I like the mood and color. Well done!

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I so want to go to Yosemite! Please post more pics from your hike.

7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Very nice. I want to go there too :)

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Gorgeous! Brings back great memories from a few years back, thanks.
    Nicely processed too. Can't decide if a little more blue sky above the trees on the right would've helped or not...but great first pic post :)

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My advice to you is don't stop shooting. ... or ... don't leave Yosemite ... or both.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This is a terrific photo - very well done. I like the vibrance just the way it is. Nice! :thumbup:

11. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I will post more pics later but be forewarned, they are mostly"touristy" pics with the gf and/or me :p

12. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    we were there last Sunday. we didn't have enough time, got to see Bridalveil Falls, lower Yosemite and drove south to Mariposa grove. what a beautiful place.

13. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    duplicate

14. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    if you don't mind me posting, here's Lower Yosemite Falls using my old G2. :smile:
    NorcalTrip2071_zps9cf52f3b.

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice that you included a person in the shot for scale! At least I hope that is a person and not a Bigfoot!:biggrin:

16. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Fantastic photo! Congratulations!

17. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    8638097275_798068a4f7_c.
    One more picture during our first break

18. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    What a place! Many, many backpacks there over the years. I learned the hard way that using a polarizer with a wide angle makes the sky look funky - half the sky is polarized, half not.
    Great waterfall shot.