1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Yosemite high country

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dhazeghi, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    From a trip last weekend. Still lots of folks around for post-Labor Day hiking. All shot with E-M5 and Olympus 12-60 (4/3). I promised myself I'd give the 12-50 another try at real-world shooting, and promptly forgot it at home. Not that I missed it particularly!

Cloud's Rest:
    [​IMG]

Tenaya Lake:
    P9080880-L.

Young Lake #3:
    [​IMG]

Ridge between White Mountain and Ragged Peak:
    P9090936-L.

Below Mt. Gaylor:
    P9091004-L.

DH

• Like Like x 15
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Love #2 the best.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Looks like you had a most fun adventure! :smile:

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    fantastic shots. Did you use polarizer? or Bracketing?

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The first one has great perspective, terrific depth and I love how the line of clouds on the right echo the boulders strewn along the path.

The others aren't too shabby, either! That must have been a fantastic trip. :smile:

6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Yosemite was my go-to wallpaper on Windows XP.

7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Haven't been up there in 30 years. Probably couldn't make it on foot anymore. Even on horseback would probably do me in. :biggrin:

Used to you could hike up there and have it all to yourself. Few were willing to walk and carry a heavy pack that far. Is it no longer so?

How were the mosquitos? Netting required? Or not that bad?

Great shots. Thanks. :2thumbs:

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely beautiful! Any problems with focus using a 4/3 lens?

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks everybody for all the comments and responses!

No polarizer or bracketing. I mostly followed an ETTR strategy, pulling back images in Lightroom. The E-M5 is quite forgiving of exposure errors in RAW - a fact I took full advantage of!

Thanks. I'd love to credit good planning, but the ridge was only about 6 feet wide there, so I didn't have that much choice on the perspective!

If you go far enough afield, away from the Yosemite Valley and Tuolomne Meadows area, you can still find some solitude. It's getting rarer though. We did dayhikes, which limited our range.

Thankfully it's too late in the season for mosquitoes (in fact the main waterfall is almost dry). They're pretty bad in June/July though.

For the landscapes, no problems whatsoever. I did try a few moving subjects (other hikers, a bird walking down the trail, some squirrels) and wasn't really successful. I've gotten to the point that I generally don't try such shots with the 12-60 to begin with.

Cheers,

DH

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Great shots! :thumbup:

Like John, I also love the first shot for it's endless depth, and echo between the boulders and the clouds. The second shot is also great!

It's a shame that I lived in California for nearly ten years and have never been to Yosemite. :frown:

11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree with hkpzee regarding the depth in the first image, a real eye opener. The colour rendition in the 2nd is superb as well. At first I thought the rocks in the water were a bit of a distraction but the more I looked the more they made my eyes dance throughout the frame.

Where is this joint, Is it near the Grand Canyon?