Yosemite high country + GF1 and 9-18mm (pics)

Locster

Mu-43 Regular
I took my buddies on their first multi-day backpacking trip last weekend. It's not only important to take photos of a trip like this but to come back with some crazy stories for the ladies. We came back with enough stories for a book, lol. They wanted to kill me the entire time but I know they had fun and hopefully got bit by the backcountry bug :biggrin:

We started at White Wolf and hiked through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne for 3.5 days and roughly 33mi. In previous trips I used a Canon SLR but this was my first time with a m43 camera, the GF1 + 9-18mm combo. It saved lot of weight and kept me in line with the ultralight philosophy (debatable since I had a tripod and 2 extra lenses :wink:)).

Snapshots here: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne 2010 - a set on Flickr

The album for the previews below can be found here:
Tuolumne Favorites - a set on Flickr

4793492077_270860b382_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yours truly marveling at the sunrise

4817050183_2189c10572_z.jpg

Early morning shot from the bridge at Glen Aulin to Tuolumne Meadows.

4808679157_c6ac259e8b_z.jpg

Sunset just outside Glen Aulin

4808957884_0117aba05a_z.jpg

I'm not sure if this is even a good picture but the longer I look at it the more it appeals to me. This was taken on the climb to Le Conte Falls.

4814533498_08608550c8_z.jpg

This is a stitched panoramic of Waterwheel Falls (I think). The great thing about panos is you can get so much in a scene to give viewers some context to just how beautiful the place is. The problem is it shrinks even huge waterwheeling waterfalls into something mild.

4811710486_af2b7a512c_z.jpg

Stitched pano. The great thing about this hike is seeing how the Tuolumne River takes on different forms.

4811765366_625d851d96_z.jpg

Another stitched pano. Taken at the top of the Muir Gorge, what a climb!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Well, I'm sure....they are all nice but the B&W is stunning. It reminds me of the very early work by Sullivan......outstanding....!

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Great work Locster....

Very nicely done colour and composition are tops

Excellent Panos too

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
Very nice work. The images really convey the natural unspoiled beauty where you hiked. Definitely an enticement for someone to visit the area.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing these look teriffic...

Well done, and welcome here :2thumbs:

Brian

Locster

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks everyone! Hopefully the photos inspire some to hike out a few miles and see something different.

Overall I'm very pleased with the GF1 as a backpacking camera. My other one is a 5D MkII and it's a Cadillac in terms of image quality and dynamic range. The GF1 is no slouch and produces great photos but I did miss some of that full framed goodness with an Olympus 21mm f/3.5.

What I didn't miss were tired legs and aching feet from muling a big SLR and lenses. I had a lot more motivation to take snapshots of friends and general scenery because the camera hung so lightly off my neck. I was able to hike faster and longer in the day with less effort and that's really my first priority. When I give the John Muir Trail a 2nd try next summer I intend to finish :)

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
These are incredible Locster! Images like this is what sells the camera- although I realise 98 percent of the capture is determined by the person behind the camera. You've done a great job.
Really inspires me now to learn and give stitching a go.

Thanks for showing them.

Darell Miller

Mu-43 Regular
The B&W shot is fantastic! If I can bring back pictures form Cornwall in three weeks time that are half as good as these I'd be very happy.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey - is the B&W not one of those long lost Ansel Adams shots... :rolleyes:

But really, a very nice group of photographs. A pleasure to view. I bet they will look great as prints.

Overall I'm very pleased with the GF1 as a backpacking camera. My other one is a 5D MkII and it's a Cadillac in terms of image quality and dynamic range. The GF1 is no slouch and produces great photos but I did miss some of that full framed goodness with an Olympus 21mm f/3.5.

Similar to my experience. My 5D produces images which are simply incredibly rich. But I feel I now have a balanced kit, with the GF1 offering more opportunities because it's easier to carry.

Thanks for sharing.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I love the colours in the sky of shot #3. Simply stunning. All the shots are great but that one really does it for me.

Cheers

PeterB666

Latest threads

Top Bottom