Yosemite high country + GF1 and 9-18mm (pics)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Locster, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    I took my buddies on their first multi-day backpacking trip last weekend. It's not only important to take photos of a trip like this but to come back with some crazy stories for the ladies. We came back with enough stories for a book, lol. They wanted to kill me the entire time but I know they had fun and hopefully got bit by the backcountry bug :biggrin:

We started at White Wolf and hiked through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne for 3.5 days and roughly 33mi. In previous trips I used a Canon SLR but this was my first time with a m43 camera, the GF1 + 9-18mm combo. It saved lot of weight and kept me in line with the ultralight philosophy (debatable since I had a tripod and 2 extra lenses :wink:)).

Snapshots here: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne 2010 - a set on Flickr

The album for the previews below can be found here:
    Tuolumne Favorites - a set on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Yours truly marveling at the sunrise

[​IMG]
    Early morning shot from the bridge at Glen Aulin to Tuolumne Meadows.

[​IMG]
    Sunset just outside Glen Aulin

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if this is even a good picture but the longer I look at it the more it appeals to me. This was taken on the climb to Le Conte Falls.

[​IMG]
    This is a stitched panoramic of Waterwheel Falls (I think). The great thing about panos is you can get so much in a scene to give viewers some context to just how beautiful the place is. The problem is it shrinks even huge waterwheeling waterfalls into something mild.

[​IMG]
    Stitched pano. The great thing about this hike is seeing how the Tuolumne River takes on different forms.

[​IMG]
    Another stitched pano. Taken at the top of the Muir Gorge, what a climb!

• Like Like x 34
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, I'm sure....they are all nice but the B&W is stunning. It reminds me of the very early work by Sullivan......outstanding....!

3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Great work Locster....

Very nicely done colour and composition are tops

Excellent Panos too

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    WOOHOO!

I feel like I am there. Wonderful stuff.

Bokeh D

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Stunning, absolutely stunning. I just looked at some of your incredible set on Flickr. What a trip and what a good thing you brought your camera.:th_salute:

Now, after this it's definitely time for you to stop in and "officially" introduce yourself here: Welcomes and Introductions forum, if you wouldn't mind, that is.:biggrin:

6. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    awesome! I don't know about your friends, but you're giving ME the backpacking bug!

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow, fantastic set! Love the shot from the bridge.

8. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Very nice work. The images really convey the natural unspoiled beauty where you hiked. Definitely an enticement for someone to visit the area.

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing these look teriffic...

Well done, and welcome here :2thumbs:

Brian

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Terrific set of photographs, that black and white picture shows that that medium can still deliver with regard to landscape photography.

Barrie

11. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    Thanks everyone! Hopefully the photos inspire some to hike out a few miles and see something different.

Overall I'm very pleased with the GF1 as a backpacking camera. My other one is a 5D MkII and it's a Cadillac in terms of image quality and dynamic range. The GF1 is no slouch and produces great photos but I did miss some of that full framed goodness with an Olympus 21mm f/3.5.

What I didn't miss were tired legs and aching feet from muling a big SLR and lenses. I had a lot more motivation to take snapshots of friends and general scenery because the camera hung so lightly off my neck. I was able to hike faster and longer in the day with less effort and that's really my first priority. When I give the John Muir Trail a 2nd try next summer I intend to finish :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

These are incredible Locster! Images like this is what sells the camera- although I realise 98 percent of the capture is determined by the person behind the camera. You've done a great job.
    Really inspires me now to learn and give stitching a go.

Thanks for showing them.

13. Darell Miller

Darell Miller Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2010
    The B&W shot is fantastic! If I can bring back pictures form Cornwall in three weeks time that are half as good as these I'd be very happy.

14. pwm2460

pwm2460 New to Mu-43

Beautiful captures.

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey - is the B&W not one of those long lost Ansel Adams shots... :rolleyes:

But really, a very nice group of photographs. A pleasure to view. I bet they will look great as prints.

Similar to my experience. My 5D produces images which are simply incredibly rich. But I feel I now have a balanced kit, with the GF1 offering more opportunities because it's easier to carry.

Thanks for sharing.

16. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I love the colours in the sky of shot #3. Simply stunning. All the shots are great but that one really does it for me.

Cheers

PeterB666