Yosemite Half Dome hike

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yang
Being reside in the Bay Area most of my life, I've yet attempted to hike Half Dome. I've visited Yosemite 5 times, but just camped at the valley floor & did some sight seeing with friends/families/kids. Now I gave myself a try on a one-day hike last weekend.

My route was starting at Curry Village, where I stayed a couple nights and hiked in about 1 mile to the trail head. Took the Mist trail and followed to John Muir trail (southern side of Vernal&Nevada Falls.) Continued John Muir & onto Half Dome. Came back from the northern side of the 2 falls.

To keep the weight to minimum, I only brought along my G6 & the 12. Here are a few photos to share.

Trail head:
View attachment 366171

Water flows at the Vernal Fall footbridge:
View attachment 366172

Half Dome & the sun:
View attachment 366173

Silhouette of Liberty Cap:
View attachment 366174

Half Dome, Mt Broderick & Liberty Cap:
View attachment 366175

Liberty cap & Nevada Fall:
View attachment 366176

Half Dome & Nevada Fall:
View attachment 366177

Top of Nevada Fall flowing down:
View attachment 366178

Mt Watkins:
View attachment 366179

Pano view:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sub-Dome:
View attachment 366181

Pano view while climbing sub-dome:
View attachment 366182

Pano view Half Dome:
View attachment 366183

Nevada Fall (from northern side):
View attachment 366184

Vernal Fall:
View attachment 366185

Thanks for looking.

Yang

Pecos

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been to the top of Half Dome 4 times and I'm not sure what/where "sub dome" is. Do you mean the bump by the saddle below the cables that lead up to the top of Half Dome? Did you make it to the top?
That black and white of Half Dome and Nevada Falls is spectacular.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nice shots. I've done a lot of hikes with just one prime.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yang
I've been to the top of Half Dome 4 times and I'm not sure what/where "sub dome" is. Do you mean the bump by the saddle below the cables that lead up to the top of Half Dome? Did you make it to the top?
That black and white of Half Dome and Nevada Falls is spectacular.
4x!? That's motivation! My legs just wouldn't let me for the cables. Need more training. Yes, the bump is the sub dome. The black & white is my favorite. I think I will get it printed.

Ger.mcg

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ger
Beautiful scenery and nicely captured. The black and white one should make a great print.

Pecos

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You can get some good shots of Nevada Falls coming down the steep left or east side of it. Nevada Falls is beautiful in the morning from that angle. I came that way only once, my last trip; it was hard on the knees.
You had a more difficult hike than I did: on all my ascents I had been backpacking in the high country and camped in Little Yosemite Valley before climbing Half Dome.

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yang
You can get some good shots of Nevada Falls coming down the steep left or east side of it. Nevada Falls is beautiful in the morning from that angle. I came that way only once, my last trip; it was hard on the knees.
You had a more difficult hike than I did: on all my ascents I had been backpacking in the high country and camped in Little Yosemite Valley before climbing Half Dome.
Yes, the left side with steep steps, where I was coming down but in the afternoon. Here's another shot where I rested & rubbed my knees in the shade :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom