Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
It's the Firefall season in Yosemite again. Peak time is in couple of week, but this year the parc require reservation starting Feb 8 to get in the parc and tickets are limited. We thought with Super Bowl Sunday that we would try our luck to get there the last day without reservation. To our surprise there is barely anyone there and the spot we like to shoot from, which was closed for the past few years during the firefall was open. We were only 6 people shooting there.

Lucky to get what we are coming to this fabulous parc for.

[1]

50924913327_d381659d7c_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Valley View by Nam Ing, on Flickr

[2]

50924914122_666cc7fa66_b.jpg

3 Brothers by Nam Ing, on Flickr

[3]

50924913242_9e96ff3407_b.jpg

Firefall by Nam Ing, on Flickr

[4]

50924913652_dfdc558765_b.jpg

[5]

50924785136_26bef7e34f_b.jpg

[6]

50924913847_4c4d8be1b7_b.jpg

Last edited:

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Every February I forget this phenomena happens. And then every February I lament the east entrance to the park is closed for the winter and the drive to the west entrance is so much further for me. Oh well. I’ll just enjoy your pictures instead!

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
Thank you Chris...we felt the same way when we want to go to Mono Lake or June Lake when Tioga Pass is closed...hope you can make it one day...it's so great to see it in person.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
It's the Firefall season in Yosemite again. Peak time is in couple of week, but this year the parc require reservation starting Feb 8 to get in the parc and tickets are limited. We thought with Super Bowl Sunday that we would try our luck to get there the last day without reservation. To our surprise there is barely anyone there and the spot we like to shoot from, which was closed for the past few years during the firefall was open. We were only 6 people shooting there.

[1]

View attachment 872910

[2]

View attachment 872911

[3]

View attachment 872912

[4]

View attachment 872913

[5]

View attachment 872914

[6]

View attachment 872915
I had to g**gle the phenomena.....and what phenomenal photos.

Or should that be pheNAMenal. ;)

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Thank you Chris...we felt the same way when we want to go to Mono Lake or June Lake when Tioga Pass is closed...hope you can make it one day...it's so great to see it in person.
I’ll be up at both Mono and June lakes on Friday! So close to Yosemite, yet so far away!

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I'm always excited to open a new thread of yours Nam. Stunning images as usual. I don't make the time to travel and setup patiently for pictures like yours, but do see some wonderful landscapes around Sonoma county recently. Visiting parents in Santa Rosa, so a quick trip to Bodega Bay, redwoods around Occidental and planned trip to Mt. Tamalpias soon.

Also, did you change up from the Olympus 7-14 f2.8 to the Panasonic Leica 8-18 recently? Was that for use of filters?

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
Thank you Brian and John.

Brian, that's funny.

Indeed John, I just pick up the Pan Leica 8-18. Great little lens. The guy who sold sold never use it and he let me try about 30 minutes and I put my H&Y MRC-CPL on and it works great so I bought it.

#1 and #2 was used with cpl to either take out the reflections as on the #1 and you can see through the water all the rocks and #2 to accentuate the reflection of the 3 brothers in the ice covered with water.

I am about 15 minutes away from Santa Rosa.

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin

[1]

View attachment 872910

[2]

View attachment 872911

[3]

View attachment 872912

[4]

View attachment 872913

[5]

View attachment 872914

[6]

View attachment 872915
Just stunning and much appreciated that you share your works. When I read the title, I had no idea what to expect, but I know some fantastic stuffs await. And you never disappoint.

Cheers

Last edited:

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
This is how busy it was :D but usually you just set your tripod and don't move after otherwise people would move in.
IMG_9614.jpg

Last edited:

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Thanks for the wide view, not as insane as I feared. Goggle ?says I'm just 802 miles away, but likely a few clouds from home would come along and screw it up for everyone..

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Wow!!
Beautiful images!
They are a joy to the eye.
Fantastic work, as usual.

Shortsonfire79

Mu-43 Veteran
I can't wait to be there this (and the next and the one after that) weekend! I'm really glad they're limiting people in. Back in 2019 it was absolutely packed at the base of Horsetail.

Dug up a couple of images. Guess it's hard to see the peeps.

P2180226.jpg LRM_EXPORT_461586982000885_20190219_195011181.jpeg

Last edited:

acnomad

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Andy
Nice Firefall photos, again, Nam. I didn't realize the glow was already so beautiful this early in the month.

Real Name
Walter

[1]

View attachment 872910

[2]

View attachment 872911

[3]

View attachment 872912

[4]

View attachment 872913

[5]

View attachment 872914

[6]

View attachment 872915

OMG, those are just beautiful. Thank you again, Nam, for your spectacular images. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. You are the master.:jedi:

Latest threads

Top Bottom