Yongnuo YN-560 IV Flash Speedlight for omd em1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Jun 4, 2015.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello,

It's my first time I will buy a flash for my omd. I search for a cheap one . I think for the above . Is it a good choice ???

I have not any experience with flashes .

Thx a lot

2. twellsphoto

twellsphoto New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2014
    I love my YN-560III. I can not do TTL, however, I don't think the IV's can either with the OMDs. I use two YN-560iiis on stands with modifiers, and a YN-560-TX to control them from my camera. They are very powerful and produce plenty of light.

3. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Fl-50r used is the man !!

4. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    It depends on what you intend to do with the flash.

If you just want a flash for family group photo's, you'll probably want an Olympus TTL capable flash, so something like the Olympus FL-600R would be a good choice, or the Panasonic FL-360L (basically the same flash). I've read good things about the Nissin i40, but it costs about as much as an Olympus or Panasonic. The only other third party brand that I would trust with Panasonic or Olympus TTL cameras would be the Metz flashes: The Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-5 is a pretty good equivalent flash for reasonable $$$.
    There are other Oly/Panny TTL compatible flashes available, just filter for them on bhphoto's website. But your mileage may vary with the other brands. Also I would not bother with the Oly FL-300r, it's just too weak for anything and it's not cheap either.

However, if you intend to shoot creative flash and *never* use TTL mode like the "pros", then the YongNuo will be fine and you'll not need to buy any oly/panny TTL flash.

If you need the ultimate in flash power AND TTL AND wireless TTL, then get the Olympus FL-50r or the even more powerful Metz mecablitz 64 AF-1.

BTW I own an Oly FL-36 and FL-300r. I also have a Metz 50 AF-2 that I really haven't had much time to use yet.

I'd recommend you get an extension flash cable and a flash bracket to move the flash away from the camera to allow for more control over the flash angle no matter which flash you decide to buy (except if you're only planning to use the flash for quick family pictures, then don't bother.)

5. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    thx a lot man. So YongNuo hasn't TTL mode. Is there anything part which i can buy for YongNuo in order to use TTL mode or i forget TTL with this flash ???

6. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    No, you cannot use Yongnuo in TTL mode at all.

7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
  8. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    So if i buy YN560-IV and YN560-TX transmitter , i will solve the problem with TTL. Except from the TTL, why to choose Olympus FL-50r ?? why is better ???

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The Olympus uses TTL (through the lens) to automatically meter, the FL-50R is a high powered flash roughly equivalent to the Xiongnu in power and size. It can also work off the camera as an optical slave using TTL (R designation).

I use the Nissin i40 as my small flash as it's very compact however and it's fully TTL compatible while on the camera however it cannot work as a master to trigger slaves using wireless TTL (it can on an E-5, just not m4/3 bodies), I use Metz AF-58-1's as my larger high powered flashes.

The YN560-TX doesn't support TTL, however it lets you manually adjust the power and trigger it wirelessly.

10. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    because the FL50 is designed to work with Olympus cameras and is a VERY reliable piece of kit.....as are all Olympus FL's. Search aroung and you will find Yongnuo are not so reliable. They are chreaper however if that floats your boat

11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    No, it's all still manual, but now you're controlling multiple speedlights just like you would studio lights, but from a control panel sat on top of the camera, meaning you don't need to walk to each light to make adjustments, you can do it from where you'e stood.

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I agree with wilson. For snapshots TTL is handy but for anything serious you are going to want manual flash anyway.

Re high voltage, his tip about LEDs vs neon ready lights is probably correct but personally I would not bet my camera on it. I researched this a couple of years ago and found on the internet a very extensive table listing flashes -- maybe 50 of them -- and indicating whether their triggers were safe for modern electronic cameras or not. Look for that one. Also, if you can inspect the flash prior to buying, just use a voltmeter to check. This is not a matter of small differences. Either you will measure a small safe voltage (probably less than 20 volts) or you will measure a high voltage, probably over 100 volts.

Edit: I found the table: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

As others have mentioned, a radio trigger to mount on your camera and a couple of receivers for flashes will be a good addition to your kit. You do not have to get fancy and expensive things. These: http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Speedlite-Universal-Receivers/dp/B00A47U22U work well for me even with expensive Photogenic 1250DR studio strobes. Remote power setting is nice but necessary if you are on a budget.

Even for snapshots it is nice to hold the flash away from the camera. You can do this with cheap radio triggers and a manual flash. A couple of test shots will tell you what flash power to use and from that point it is the same as shooting TTL.