Yongnuo YN-560 III

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Yoda, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Hi guys, in the next couple of weeks theres going to be a portrait session at the local camera club, trouble is Ive never used flash before and from what i've read, flash for m43 is pretty confusing especially for a newbee like me. I have an Olympus OMD -EM5 so would like to hear from owners of that camera whether things work or not. Ive been looking at the Yongnuo 560III flashes as these seem good value for money. first question is do they have specific M43 versions or do they work on any camera. second question is how will it trigger, can I use the flash that came with my OMD to set it off and if not can you recommend me some triggers that definitely work on this flash, i've heard that the rf-602 triggers work but that the 603s don't can anyone confirm this. If you know of any other triggers that work with the Yongnuo 560III list them please. don't get too technical in the replies as i'm a dumb ass and wouldn't understand you anyways, Thanks :)
  2. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hi Yoda,

Flash for m43 is no different from flash with any camera. I have an E-M1 and use a YN-560 II (both on and off camera) on occasion. I could be wrong but I think the Yongnuo (manual flash) should be fine on most any camera system. It's the TTL models that do more complicated communications with the camera and so require a proprietary hotshoe connection.

The mk III models you're looking at have a built-in radio receiver, but to use that you'll need a YN560-TX transmitter (that you'd mount in your hotshoe). You can trigger a YN-560 with your on-camera flash, but so can everyone else - any flashing in the area will likely set off your flash, so it might not be ready or full power when you need it. I use a Cactus V5 set with mine and it works great, but that's a two piece (transmitter and receiver) system, and would not utilize the built-in receiver.

Hope that helps. Use the force!
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I used the cheapest radio triggers I could find (Cactus v5) and they work no problem ... manual operation only. No TTL. Good way to learn and work out the kinks of flash.

Light Science and Magic is a great book for flash.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
  5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Yongnuo YN560 III work fine with M43 cameras, I use the Yongnuo 602C triggers, though do note the c stand for Canon. These are compatable M43 cameras, but the 602N (Nikon) are not or have to be modified to work.
  6. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks Darren, so if I bought the Yongnuo 560 III for Canon cameras and the Yongnuo 602c triggers (for Canon) they should definitely work on my OMD EM5? I've looked at the cactus V5 triggers but I live in the UK and they are about £70-00 compared to £25-00 for the Yongnuo 602c's. Thanks for all the replies BTW
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've got em1/5 and yong 560-3 and r603 and everything works perfect. It's what I just recently used to figure out flash with before moving up to the neweer ad-360 bare bulb flash

You might want to consider a collapsible 24" softbox. Amazon has em cheap. Portable. And light for hand holding if you need.
    You could also attach the foot to the flash, then screw the foot to the top of a,cheap monopod and hold it way out wherever you need for a portable walk aroundable "light stand"

With re to using flash to fire flas... If this is outdoors at all, good luck ;) you better be CLOSE and have yer flash at max battery drain power level. Lol
  8. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
  9. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    whoops just realised he doesnt mention if they work on an Em5 FFS
  10. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    I recently bought the YN560 III and a pair of 603N for use on my Lumix G3. It all works superbly and seems like a wonderful and inexpensive way to enter the world of off-camera flash.

The 603Ns come with a remote release cable for a Nikon, too. I tried it on a borrowed D5100 and that's a neat thing too. You can fire the camera from remotely. That's probably old news to many but I'm just discovering all this stuff ;-)

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Yongnuo RF-603 II triggers must have the Mark II moniker to work with YN560 III. I'm not sure about the RF-602 compatibility, sorry.

Canon or Nikon models of either the flash or the trigger doesn't matter. It is a manual flash and trigger system with only centre pin for firing. The Nikon 1, 2, 3 or Canon 1, 2, 3, denotes which cable is bundled with the package. The cable will work for E-M1 if you bought the correct one, but E-M5 doesn't have a PC sync port.
  12. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Forgive my ignorance I dont know what a Pc sync port is, does this mean that these triggers will not work with an EM5 :/ someone must have a solution to this to be honest its doing my head in lol
  13. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Sorry, slight error on my part, the 602 trigger works, the 603 does not apparently, but the 603 II's do work.
    You don't need a cable to fire the flash remotely, however you can get this cable, the Pixel CL-UC1 from Amazon, which you connect the trigger to the camera, you can use the spare remote trigger to fire the flash and camera remotely or just the camera by itself.
    A picture can easily explain.
    [​IMG]20141028_204634 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr
  14. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    I have a 560II and a 568EX (Nikon version) and a set of Cactus V5s. I originally bought them for my D7000 but used them a couple of weekends ago with my E-M5 for my mother's 90th birthday. Worked perfectly. (both were off-camera).
    I have tried the 560 directly in the hotshoe on the E-M5 and it worked (again manual only). I wouldn't try it with the 568EX as it has extra contacts for Nikon TTL (useless for Olympus) which might cause some issues. I never use on-camera flash (or TTL) anyway.

Not even sure why I bought the 568EX as it was much more expensive than 560's. I find a DSLR with a largish flash fitted to be too heavy for me anyway.

Cactus V5 are reasonably priced in Australia.
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Just to reiterate Darren, the 603 II triggers work without modification. The 603 (original) needs some pins jumped, but it does work if you hack it.

Additionally, the YN560TX is the remote power control for the 560 III's and also works fine with at least Olympus, but pretty sure it'll work on anything.
  16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm using YN560-IIIs triggered using a YN560-TX remote control unit on my E-M5, both Canon versions. The ability to do remote power control and zoom is so awesome!
    I've also triggered them optically using other flashes - another YN560-III, FL-LM2 (kind of pathetic range outside, especially when you can't swivel the FL-LM2), as well as the Nissin i40 (much better).
  17. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Do yourself a favour and get the YN560TX now. One flash will do for now but when you add more you can control them all from the TX module on the top of your camera. This really is extremely helpful and all of us that have purchased the YN560tx will sing its praises so I suggest buying is now. Once you get the knack of flash and off camera lighting you will love it and manual is the way to go with it. Don't worry about a soft box unless you can get one cheap. You definitely need a shoot through umbrella, light stand and flash adapter to fit the flash to the stand (beware that there are better ones of these and they are worth the bit extra).

Have fun.
  18. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks for all the advice guys seems like im going to go with the yongnuo 560 III flash (canon version) with the rf -603c II triggers (Canon version) or the YN560-TX (Canon version) remote control. Does the 560TX remote control work differently? do they have receivers at all?
  19. Yoda

Yoda Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Dont bother answering that ive just checked out a video on youtube, thanks for everyones help :smile:
  20. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Depends. For off-camera studio-style shooting, they can be very good. But these are manual-only flashes--that is, they do not communicate anything with the camera other than the "fire" signal. All of the extra fancy features you'd get if you got a TTL and RC-compatible flash, such as the Olympus FL-600R/Panasonic FL-360L, or Nissin i40--features like high-speed sync/FP flash (the ability to use a shutter speed faster than 1/200s with flash), TTL (auto-setting of the flash's power based on through-the-lens [TTL] metering), using the camera menu to control a remote flash, etc. are not available to you. This is why the YN-560III is so cheap. In addition, this is a cheap flash from China. Warranty, service, copy consistency and component quality, as well as resale value are not going to be as good as if you go for an OEM (Panasonic or Olympus) flash. Keep that in mind.

My recommendation to anyone buying their first or only flash is that they should consider an OEM or at least TTL-compatible flash, because it can be used with equal facility both for on-camera event run'n'gunning, and for studio-style off-camera setups. The manual-only cheapies tend to be better as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th flashes.

They work on any camera that has an ISO-compliant hotshoe. That is it has that square shape, the sync pin/contact is in the center, and the rails are ground. The only cameras that don't fit this bill are older Sony/Minolta cameras, really. As i said, manual only means the only electrical communication is the sync signal, and that's standardized.

Yes, you can, but not in the way it was meant to be used with Olympus flashes. Olympus "R" and Panasonic "L" flashes have a built-in RC slave and the flash that came with the EM-5 has a built in RC master. This is an optical signalling protocol that can communicate the full hotshoe signalling to a remote flash, as if the flash were on the camera hotshoe. All those fancy-shmancy features work in RC. The YN-560III can't do these things, and has no RC slave built in.

However, it does have two optical slave modes that are "dumb" optical slave modes. They work on the basis of a very simple sensor that, when it senses a flash burst, fires the flash. You could use the little flash, if you can turn off wireless commanding, as a way to tell the YN-560III when to fire. Use S1 mode, if your master flash is in M (manual) mode, and use S2 if it's in TTL. Just don't have it set to talking the Olympus RC wireless protocol. That will set the YN-560III off early, because the communication uses multiple preflashes, and S2 mode can only ignore a single preflash for TTL metering.

Understand, too, that both of these optical systems of triggering are limited by line-of-sight and range--especially outdoors in bright sunlight. The sensor panel has to be able to "see" the master flash. So, putting it behind you (since the little clip on doesn't swivel), or behind some object that blocks the light between you and the flash will stop it from working.

The following Yongnuo products can all be used to set off a YN-560III, via its built-in radio receiver, remotely. Most of us would recommend you get the YN-560-TX, however, because it will give you the most function possible--including remote power control.

• YN-560-TX (dedicated transmitter)
    • YN-560IV (speedlight with built-in radio master; but only 3 groups vs. the YN-560TX's six groups)
    • RF-602 (transmitter/receiver pair)
    • RF-603II (transceivers) [the MkI models, aka RF-603, is not compatible with the mft hotshoe]
    • RF-605 (transceivers)
    You only need one of these units on your camera hotshoe. If, because of price, you're looking at the 602s and the 603IIs, get the 603IIs. They use AAAs; the 602 transmitter needs a CR2 battery which isn't as common. The 602 receiver has its on-off switch where you can't reach it if a flash is on top of it. It has no pass-through hotshoe on the transmitter, so you can't mount a flash on top if you wanted an on-camera flash as well as an off-camera one. It has no locking ring on the transmitter, so it can fall out of your hotshoe. The transmitter has no on/off switch, so you can wear down that weird CR2 battery pretty quickly. And since these are mostly sold in sets/pairs, at least with the 603II you have a backup unit as the 603IIs can be either a transmitter or a receiver. The RF-603II is a better buy. The 605s probably aren't worth it for you, as you have no non-Yongnuo flashes to group with a YN-560III.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1