1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yongnuo Shutter Cable for GH2

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Boatman, Oct 29, 2014.

1. I've just ordered some Yongnuo equipment including a pair of 605 transceivers. I understand that the transceivers can be used as a remote shutter trigger but I an assuming that I will need a cable to go from the receiving unit on the camera to the camera's mic/shutter port. Can anyone tell me what cable is required for this function?

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
  3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    On the US Amazon, here's the search link for the Pixel CL-RS1 cable.

I just checked the RF-605 specs, and it uses the same 2.5mm shutter output port that the 603/603II triggers do, so this should be fine.

Don't get the Cactus V5 Panasonic shutter cable--the V5s use a 3.5mm minijack.

I really wish Yongnuo would use 3.5mm minijacks/plugs. They're so much easier to find and so much more robust. Drives me nuts they use 2.5mm on everything. Still. Better than the proprietary Olympus three-pin connector they were using on the RF-602s.

4. I looked at the recommended posts, then looked at what B&H had for this. B&H lists this cable, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10851851&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi for 2.5 to 3.5 mm adaption. However, in the reviews several people note that the GH2 has 2.5mm jack, which is confirmed in the owner's manual. If the Yongnuo also has a 2.5mm jack, I will need a different cable. The Yongnuo kit comes with an LS 2.5/C1 cable, which is 2.5mm to 2.5mm and may work.

I think I will hold off purchasing anything until I get the Yongnuo gear and can compare it with the plug for my wired remote shutter release and try the included cables. I'll post results when I have them.

5. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    That B&H and Yongnuo LS2.5/C1 cables won't work. The B&H has the wrong size plug on one end (your RF-605s have a 2.5mm jack). The C1 connector, in Yongnuo parlance, is the stereo 2.5mm connector that works with Canon entry-level dSLRs. And while the Panasonic shutter release also uses a 2.5mm jack, it uses a four-pole one (one with three rings on it), with different resistance between some of the poles. The wiring schematic for how Panasonic's shutter releases are put together is here: https://triggertrap.com/panasonic-rsl1/. A simple passive stereo (three-pole) connector won't work, otherwise, we'd be telling you to just go to Radio Shack and get audio cables. Stereo 2.5mm and 3.5mm plugs are the same as those you use for cellphone and MP3 player headphones.

Look at the close-ups of the connectors. The two you listed both are stereo two-ring connectors. Then look at the CL-RS1 tip closeups.

41mEDwuU2aL.

I've used this cable with a Triggertrap dongle (which uses a stereo 2.5mm output jack) to my G3. It worked just fine.

6. GH2 Remote Shutter Cable

Inkista:

I understand that the GH2 uses a 4 pole connector. The cable you show is a three pole to four pole 2.5mm cable. You are saying it works with the Triggertrap dongle - I looked at that and see that Triggertrap has a 4-pole to 3-pole wire that I assume plugs into the headphone jack of a mobile phone, which is a 2.5mm, 3-pole interface. Can that connect to the Yongnuo?

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'm a little tangled in your syntax here, but the Yongnuo trigger's shutter sync output is a 3-pole 2.5mm jack, so to connect to a Panasonic shutter port, you need a 2.5 3-pole plug -> 2.5 4-pole plug cable that has the proper resistance built in on the 4-pole side to communicate both half-press and press signals to the camera. Which, as we've been telling you all this time, is exactly what the Pixel CL-RS1 cable is.

The TriggerTrap dongle has a 2.5 3-pole jack to connect a cable to your camera's shutter release port at one end, and the other end is a 3.5mm 3-pole to plug into the headphone jack of an iOS/Android device for use with the TriggerTrap Mobile app. So, it can use the same cable.

8. OK. I think I've got it. The Pixel CL-RS1 will work for $7.50, the TriggerTrap Leica cable will work for $11.18, or I can spring $36.78 and get the full TriggerTrap Panny/Leica kit. In which case I would end up with three triggering mechanisms - the old JVC wired intervalometer, the TriggerTrap mobile phone app and the Yongnuo wireless remote. Might be a mite overkill. :rolleyes:

9. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Actually, when I bought it, the TriggerTrap Panasonic/Leica cable was the Pixel CL-RS1. Came in a Pixel box and everything. Just so's you know. :D

Yup.