1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yongnuo rf-603II or other?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dch, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Hi,
    i've searched the net and the forum, but i'm not quite sure yet.
    I need a remote trigger for 2 lights; was using a PC sync cable with my 5D, but no sync out on the E-M5, plus wireless is more convenient.
    Will the Yongnuo RF-603II definitely work with the E-M5?
    Any other option out there i should consider in a similar price range? BTW, i'm in EU, so i would like to avoid ordering from the states.
    Thanks for the help,
    Daniele.

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have ordered a set of Yongnuo RF-603II from Amazon UK, but these are coming from Hong Kong. If they work I will be using them on an E-PL5 & G5. I have been told that they do work with the E-M5.

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yes, it will work as they designed it specifically to function with the center pin now (i.e., work universally) The original 603 works too, but you had to jump some pins.

4. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    I use the RF-602 emitter without any misfires (contrary to the 603, the 602 uses separate emitters/receivers, so the emitter is actually really small). The receiver is built in my YN-560 III which is very convenient. For a wireless manual flash system on a tight budget, I'm not sure you could find a better option.

5. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Regarding the RF-602, what would be the main difference with the 603II? I suppose it syncs slower (1/125 vs 1/250), but the transmitter is smaller. Price is very similar...
    Thanks,
    Daniele.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The RF-602 has two different units, a transmitter, and a receiver. The 603's are transceivers, so it doesn't matter which one you use on either the camera or flash. The 603's also use standard AA's (602 uses a non-standard battery in the transmitter).

Also, you can use the 603 (at least, the first one, I'm assuming the revision as well) as a wireless remote trigger for the camera (you do need an extra cable to do it).

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Pixel Pawn also makes a working inexpensive flash trigger that doubles as a remote shutter release. Search on ebay.

8. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I did ask this question about a week ago on here in the lighting section and in DP review, both gave positive replies and the DP Review one also mentions the Pixal CL-UC1 cable to connect from the flash trigger to the camera. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3629048

9. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Hi Darren,
    i've seen that, but since you did not get them yet, i was not sure of the outcome.
    I think i'll go down that route then, maybe even get the extra cable.
    I guess i can't go wrong for my hobby use and the price.
    Nevertheless, i'll look forward to your thoughts once you get them.
    Thanks,
    Daniele.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Hopefully the transmitters work. Over the years, I've tried a number of these cheap transmitters and every one of them has failed one way or the other; they've either stopped working altogether, randomly won't work, or will misfire at the wrong time. The only thing that has worked are the FL50R flashes fired by the camera flash or smaller Olympus flash. Pocket Wizards always get good feedback, but are quite expensive. There is another brand as well that has received good reviews, and less expensive than Pocket Wizards, but I can't remember the name.

11. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Well today the Yongnuo RF 603 II arrived.
    12955862694_c32f10ea56_b.
    flash triggers by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

So I got out my two flashes, a Yongnuo 560III and a Nissin D466I and the GF1. Mounted one trigger on the camera and the other I mounted the Nissin flash on to it, as you know the yongnuo 560III has a built in receiver. The triggers were a tight fight on the camera, but it worked with both flashes firing. Next I got out the G5 and they worked just as well with that camera, both Panasonics are limited to shooting at the fastest shutter speed of 1/160 sec.
    Next I got out the E-PL5 and I have read you can raise the shutter speed to 1/250 sec. so I gave it a go.

The first photo is no flash at all with the main light coming from the window to the model's (wife) left.
    12955335525_6a9d5e1bbc_c.
    flash trigger test without flashes by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

This photo was taken with the EPL5 with a flash either side (I belive they call this the Hollywood style of lighting), the Yongnuo to the model's right and the less powerful Nissin to her left. This was taken at 1/250 sec.
    12955284325_9a855c2c2e_c.
    flash trigger test with flashes by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

Niether pictures of my wife were edited, straight out of the camera RAW and conveted to Jpeg in Lightroom.
    I'm very happy with this set up to start my journey into flash photography.

• Like Like x 2
  12. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk

thx!! that's a good start... for the longest time, i've been looking for a wireless flash system for my m43... i'm already doing radio trigger flash for my D600 using phottix whilst using available light for my olympus with ISO 1600 as maximum but i'm on the lookout for a system where i can switch seamlessly from nikon FF and olympus m43 using the same set of speedlights in an event...

13. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Hi Darren,
    thanks for the update; looks good to me!
    I will order mine to day and hopefully be happy with them too.
    Have fun learning lighting with your setup,
    Daniele.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Hi Darren, or anyone that knows:
    is the Canon version the same as the Nikon version regarding it's use for m43? Is it just the cable for the release that changes or something else?
    Thanks,
    Daniele.

15. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I'm not sure what the differences are, just read somewhere that the Canon version works better with M43 and that's what I have got, although I have no experience of this. I did take delivery of the Pixel cable that was previously mentioned in this thread and it does work with the EPL5 as long as both triggers are set to TRX.
    I did have the trigger that I was holding set to TX only and the one on camera set to TRX to begin with, while the Yongnuo flash worked, the camera didn't Only when I set the trigger that I was holding turned to TRX as well did the camera worked and so did the flash. Another good thing is that you can half press it to focus before firing the shutter.
    I'll look up for more details when I get home from work to find what I previously read.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Thanks a lot; i could not find any definite answer to the difference between the two versions. The cheapest i could find on Ebay (from EU) is a nikon version, but since the Canon one is only a couple of euro more, i might just get that since you confirm that's what you got and it's indeed working.

• Like Like x 1
  17. abiogyee

abiogyee Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    Can you have the flash work, where the flash is mounted on the transceiver while mounted on the camera, with TTL? At the same time, use the other flash mounted to the second transceiver on a different location?

18. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    For the photo I took in this thread none of the flashes were mounted on the camera. The Yongnuo 560III flash has a built in receiver, so it does not need to be mounted
    on a transceiver, the Nissin flash was mounted on the transceiver. As far as I am aware, you cannot TTL, you have to adjust each flash manually for M4/3, whether TTL works on the Canon system I don't know.

I have just tried the Nissin flash mounted on the transceiver whilst mounted on the camera and it does not TTL. The Nissin flash does TTL when mounted straight onto the camera by itself.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Just found this thread about this very subject on page 3 https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56211&page=3, you may off already seen itapparently both Canon and Nikon flash triggers works on M4/3. I can confirm that the Canon version do work and also you can used it as a remote shutter release with the Pixel CL-UC1 cable.

Yep, that's me and my wife with one of the flash triggers in my hand firing the camera and two flashes set at roughly 45° angles. The Nissin was set in slave mode.
    12977232673_a075a15ff7_c.
    Remote trigger test by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Very useful post Darren,
    since at the link they say the two versions are different, but should both work on m43 and you confirmed first hand that the Canon does work, i'll get that version to be sure.
    Thank you,
    Daniele.

• Like Like x 1