YONGNUO RF-602 triggers with E-M1 and flash question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pebbles9x, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Pebbles9x

Pebbles9x New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2014
    Lincolnshire, England

I am new to Olympus after changing my system from Canon and I have 3 YONGNUO flash guns and a set of YONGNUO RF-602 triggers that I used with my Canon gear.

The question is can I safely use them with my Olympus E-M1? They do work as I have tried them but I am nervous that I will damage my camera as I have read that you can't use Canon flash with the Olympus system but I'm hoping that as they are third party it will be safe to use.

Also, this might seem a bit basic but as the viewfinder is an EVF and shows the image in live mode, if I want to light a subject just by flash how do I get the camera to let me see the subject and focus rather than a black view.

Any help would be very much appreciated

2. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    I am using the 602 for nikon that work with a small mod without problems, also
    Work as remotes .
  3. pixmedic

pixmedic Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    central florida
    I use yongnuo 622n triggers on my E-PL5 with no problems at all firing yongnuo 568EX flashes. All in manual of course.
  4. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    I've used the Canon version of them on my E-PL5 and now on the E-M10 so in general they should work. The only downside I've noticed is that I can only sync at 1/125s. On 1/160s or shorter I've many missed shots where they are out of sync. So there might be better alternatives to the RF602 trigger, but they work.
  5. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    I've used the Canon version of the RF-602 transmitter for months with no modification on my E-P5 and now E-M1 with no problems. I've also used the YN-560 III on the camera hot shoe and it works fine.

Leif - sounds like the RF-602 receiver may be the weakness...using the built-in wireless receiver in the YN-560 III with the RF-602 transmitter let me sync at 1/250. Never tried the RF-602 receiver itself though. You may want to check out the recently-released RF-603 II -- syncs at 1/320 on my E-M1 (tested with both the built-in YN-560 III receiver and the RF-603 II in receiver mode), and as a bonus you can use it as a wireless shutter release with the Pixel RW-221 cable (while it simultaneously serves as the wireless flash transmitter on the hot shoe of the E-M1).

Edit: Clare, to address the black EVF when the light is coming from flash, turn on Live View Boost. It is in Custom Menu D (Disp/Beep/PC), scroll down to the second item on the second page. For a more detailed explanation, check this post.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Pebbles9x

Pebbles9x New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2014
    Lincolnshire, England
    Thank you for your replies. It seemed a shame the fact I have the Yongnuo triggers, receivers and flash guns not to be able to use them with my new system but I have said I was worried that I would damage my camera. I now feel I can use them safely :smile:

And thanks Eric, Live View Boost is just what I needed, I have looked through all of the custom menus but I don't feel the manual gives a very good description of what all the various controls do and leaves me wondering what else the camera can do that I don't know about!
    • Like Like x 1