Yongnuo RF-602 on a GX1 ?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by bobbywise, Jan 22, 2012.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Seeing that the Yongnuo RF-602 is known to work on other Panasonic cameras, is it safe to assume it will work on the GX1 ?

Has anyone tested it on a GX1 ?

Also, I'm tempted to get a flash for my Canon 550D and M43 bodies. Can anyone recommend a flash that will work with both Canon 550D, my M43 bodies, and the Yongnuo RF-602 ?

Thanks !

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All Four-Thirds (DSLRs) and Micro Four-Thirds (CSCs) use the same flash hotshoe setup. It will work on the GX-1 the same as on any other digital Panasonic or Olympus system camera.

As for using the same flash on both Canon and Micro Four-Thirds, that all depends on whether or not you're comfortable shooting with manual power settings as opposed to TTL. If you are, then your options are limitless, and you can actually choose from any make or brand (OEM or third party) of modern flash except for Sony/Minolta Alpha (used on Sony Alpha SLRs and SLTs, the NEX-7, and the Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum).

To use flash made for other systems though, you should reduce the output to a single contact. This can be done through a radio trigger, PC Sync cable, Safe Sync adapter, optical slave sensor (aka optical eye), or just any old hotshoe adapter.

Of course, you can try it without an adapter as well. Many people use both Nikon and Canon flashes directly on Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds hotshoes with no problem, but I've never bothered to try it since you will have to use them in manual mode anyways. So why not just use a single contact sync in that case? I've used many Canon flashes on Olympus bodies, but I always use some kind of sync or trigger.

If you do mess up and use an inappropriate flash (ie, like one made for film with a 12V+ trigger voltage) then it is the camera that will usually fry, not the flash. A Safe Sync adapter will always prevent any of these kinds of problems, as it will reduce voltage to under 6V as well as using only the single trigger contact. This is not necessary though when using flash units made for other digital cameras. A Safe Sync is a $100 investment, so it's probably not worth it if you don't need it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Thanks Ned.

I ordered this up today. I know this device will wirelessly trigger flashes, so have purchased it for that reason. However, does anyone know if the remote shutter cable also works with the Panasonic bodies ?

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. Someone gave me a Yongnuo YN467 flash yesterday, so I've been playing with it on my GX1. Works rather well, even with the optical trigering via the on-body flash :biggrin:

4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Sadly, it won't. With the RF-602s, the only real difference between the "for X brand" types is what shutter release cable is packaged with the triggers. But the RF-602 output is (I think) only capable of a simple two signal (signal & ground) connection. The Canon connector is the right shape (2.5mm, like you use with cellphones), but is mono (has only one ring around the tip). The Panasonic tip apparently requires a third signal (probably for the half-press): it looks like it's stereo and has three rings.

You may want to consider the Cactus V5s instead. I believe that they can be used with a Panasonic shutter release cable.

In addition, the Cactus V5s (unlike the RF-603s) have locking rings on the feet, you don't have to rip off the battery cover and mess with dip switches to change the channel, and you can actually reach the power on/off switch when a flash is mounted on top. And unlike the Rf-602s, they're transceiver units with pass-through hotshoes that run off AA batteries. With the 602s, you have to source that weird TX battery, and you can't switch a Tx unit to be an Rx one.

5. donmcmahan

donmcmahan New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2012
    adapter

the cable that connects an RF-602 to a Canon is, I believe a standard 3.5mm stereo plug, a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter is a pretty common item. Should work IF the polarity is the same, but I don't know if it is

6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    No. As I said, the RF-602's Canon shutter cable does not work. I tried it on my G3.

The Panasonic connector and the Canon connector are both 2.5mm, but the Panasonic connector has three rings and four contacts, while the stereo connector on the Canon has two rings and three contacts.

Also, the RF-602 gives out two distinct separate signals for half-press and full press, while the Panasonic connector uses the same signal, but triggers on specific voltage levels (resistors are commonly used in the connector for this). It's really different, and not particularly compatible.

You can kinda/sorta/not really get it to "work" by pulling the connector out a little bit so the right contact hits in the camera, but you won't have access to half-press or full-press when you do this. The contacts are, quite simply, in the wrong place, and giving off the wrong signal.

The RF-602s work great as off-camera flash triggers, though.

Has anybody with Canon and m4/3 gear tried out the new Yongnuo RF-622c triggers on their m4/3 gear? I'm curious if TTL goodies are maintained, since the RF-622s are capable of TTL, remote commanding, high-speed sync, wireless rear-curtain sync, and hypersync. Be interesting to see if the function is preserved on m4/3 or not. Longshot, I suppose. But if it's just passing along all the signals from the contacts, like a TTL cable over radio, it should theoretically work...