Yongnuo, Mediaedge & Venus join MFT alliance

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good news for the system.
Of course what I would like to see is more integration for the system as a whole to really move ahead.
Cross brand dual IS and weather sealing for a start. I think more lenses would be purchased overall if the standard was increased to encompass more compatability.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
We already have Laowa (Venus) producing MFT lenses.
But those lenses were reverse-engineered.

You can get away with that with mechanical bits like mounts.

But I think the major plus to having other companies officially in the alliance, is that they will have access to software protocol specifications. This may mean that (for example) we'll get more auto-focus lenses, or at least manual focus lenses that communicate EXIF information.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
I'd prefer dedicated MFT (small, lightweight & 46 mm filter) 9 or 10 mm f/2.8 (f/4 acceptable if significantly smaller).

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
Might be wider than you want, but have you checked out the Laowa 7.5mm ƒ/2?
Yes. It's a bit too wide. And without electronics, so no lens related EXIF data. Laowa 9 mm f/2.8 is closer, but I'm still waiting...

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just wish some third party would offer autofocus lenses for m43 besides Sigma's adapted APS lenses and Tamron's single zoom offering.

Does this mean we'll finally see Yongnuo TTL flashes for m43?

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Laowa has their lenses already in new m43 2020 catalogue. What's not useful is that on most it's not noted that they're all manual focus only.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Laowa has their lenses already in new m43 2020 catalogue. What's not useful is that on most it's not noted that they're all manual focus only.
Exactly.
A manual focus lens is comparatively easy to make, as you eliminate the complex AF mechanism.
But really, how many of us shoot manual lenses regularly today. I have only two, both of which are specialty lenses, a 500/8 mirror and 55 macro. And I hardly use these lenses.
Maybe the only gaps in the Olympus/Panasonic lens lineup is in the specialty lenses.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Exactly.
A manual focus lens is comparatively easy to make, as you eliminate the complex AF mechanism.
But really, how many of us shoot manual lenses regularly today. I have only two, both of which are specialty lenses, a 500/8 mirror and 55 macro. And I hardly use these lenses.
Maybe the only gaps in the Olympus/Panasonic lens lineup is in the specialty lenses.
Usage of manual or AF lenses depends on photographer, his style and in some cases on his wallet.
For example I've looked at photos from my last holiday (Apennines) and I've used manual lenses (Samyang 7.5, Samyang 12, Canon 50 f/1.4) very often, from some days I have even more photos taken by manual lens than lens with AF.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Usage of manual or AF lenses depends on photographer, his style and in some cases on his wallet.
For example I've looked at photos from my last holiday (Apennines) and I've used manual lenses (Samyang 7.5, Samyang 12, Canon 50 f/1.4) very often, from some days I have even more photos taken by manual lens than lens with AF.
Agree about the wallet.
That is exactly why I use the 500 mirror and 55 macro. Especially the 500. I wasn't going to buy a modern autofocus 500, $$$$.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom