1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yongnuo Flash units

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 0dBm, Jul 7, 2012.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I won't give up my Metz 58AF-1 or Panasonic DMW-FL360 because I already own them. I'll acquire the FL-600R for camera bag carry since it appears to be simultaneously smaller and more powerful than the FL360.

When I do an in-situ portrait or model shoot, I'll rent Nikon flash units for the CLS function that I have come to know and love having used them over the years with the D700 and D300.

I need to reinvest in newer flash units since I liquidated my well-used inventory of Nikon SB-600s, SB-800s, and SB-900s; however, I don't want to spend the capital on the newer Nikon or Canon flash products.

For what they provide, these expensive, name-brand units take a bit of time to get the ROI. Other than provide a huge amount of light, they do very little else so the capital outlay does not make good business sense.

I have heard good things about Yongnuo from friends and fellow pros. The YN-560 II has a GN of 58 and is selling for $88 at Amazon at this time. The equivalent-output Canon 580EX is $604. The equivalent-output Nikon SB910 is $547. I can get 6 of the YN-560 II vice one of each of the other two.

I'll still use my Metz for event work that requires it to be on a flash bracket as I move around; however, the YN-560 IIs, like the Nikon, will be transported in a Pelican hard polymer case and setup with umbrella or stand-alone and returned to the case after usage. Rigorous usage will be minimal.

Anyone have experience that they care to share about any of the Yongnuo flash product line?

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I've got the YN-560 (not II). It hasn't given me any problems, but I'm not really a power user. I do find that it drains batteries faster than my Metz 50 but then again it's a higher power flash so perhaps it's an unfair comparison. I only use it off camera because I prefer the Metz's TTL capabilities when I have the flash on-camera.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    How is the build quality?

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Not quite as solid as the Metz but pretty darn good.

5. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    I have been using 2 yongnuo 460ii for 2 years heavy use and use them for slave flash strobist work, and they have never let me down, very very impressed with them as a brand. They have taken a few knocks and the battery cover on the model I own is a bit flimsy but they are still going strong. I believe the 560 is better built and I honestly don't feel the need to spend so much on a canon equivalent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "...don't feel the need to spend so much on a canon equivalent."
    I echo this sentiment having owned at least a dozen Nikon flash units.

Flash units do one thing; provide a big boatload of light for fractions of a second. They are like socks. They don't need to protect the feet from road dirt, grease, and sharp objects; provide a tread to facilitate traction; help correct supination; or provide ankle and arch support. I don't need the TTL function as I have been trained & accustomed to use manual mode; conducting test shots as necessary before the keeper or money shots are made.

Never thought of being, as sprinke states, a "power user." I suppose that is what I have been.

7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I too have recycled numerous Nikon speedlights for the potential of needing i-ttl/CLS. After about six years(i'm hard headed) I've concluded that a couple of cheap manual flashes can provide me with all I need. Indoor bounce and an off axis wireless option.

I've had a 460v1 and a 560v1 since they've been introduced and have had a great deal of success. They're built slightly better than they're priced - my 460 has the loose battery door as well(gaffers tape) - not good and not bad.

I wouldn't assume they would last through the knocks and heavy use like the Nikons but I don't need that.

A great value that works. IMO.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I have two YN560's and love em. Built pretty well and work well bounced for me. Had them on my 5D and now my e-m5. It certainly is top heavy now =)

In some ways, it exceeds my old 550EX on build. Like the plastic is more matte and solid feeling. Door isn't as flimsy. However, buttons are squishy. Also, from a test I saw on POTN, it is a far more narrow spread head on vs the 580EX.

Haven't really used it outdoors trying to fight the sun though.

9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "...it is a far more narrow spread head on vs the 580EX."
    Linh,
    Please elaborate on that statement. I don't quite understand.

Advanced thanks.

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Of course I can't find the comparison for the life of me... but basically the falloff on the Canon was more gradual vs the YN560.

Also, I made a correction, I have the YN560, not YN560II. I got might right before they switched =/

11. QuentinB

QuentinB New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    Does the Yongnuo YN-560 work with the olympus omd em5? Im thinking about getting the Yongnuo and a cowboy studio npt 04.

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Personally I think they are old Canon 560's. Build quality is good, reports about some units melting down, but I haven't had that ever happen. A battery pack exists to extend battery life, and lower recharge time, maybe those users have had melt downs. However I don't have an issue with therecharge for what I use it for. My unit's at about a year old, no problems, been dropped, beat down, and used pretty hard. Great deal imo.

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've got a 560II and have given it heavy use indoors and out. Off camera with cheapo radios. I do notice when used at high power with quick fires in rapid succession the batteries and compartment do get quite hot. I have not had the unit go into a thermal shutdown (does it even have that feature?) but the temperatures felt seemed beyond 'safe' levels. No signs of melting but I was worried on several occasions.

Actually, I've been trying to burn this unit up since I convinced myself I need to do some TTL work but the thing won't die. Maybe I'll change my mind ... then I'd just get another one.

14. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Never had problems with the 560II. And build quality seems to hold up fine thus far.

15. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I've got three 460IIs that I started using when I still had my Canon gear and have continued using now with my m4:3. I'm impressed with them; at about $50 each they've taken a lot of use and even some abuse from me.

I just used two of them for about 4 hours during a wedding. Started with them at full power outdoors in the afternoon sun for fill, and then moved them inside as the main light during the reception. I can hammer away with them as long as the batteries last.

In the 3 years I've been using them, I did have one unit die - I think the capacitor went out, as it wouldn't power up with the usual whine. But otherwise I love them - would definitely buy more of them.

16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i was going to start this thread, ive been reading a lot of this yongnuos flashes. and just reading from your comments and experiences, and bought 2 560II lets see whats sup. quite cheap on their website, 72 bucks each plus free shipping. AWESOME!.

17. ashishbajoria

ashishbajoria Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2012
    Hi guys. I have a Canon 430 speed lite flash. Is there any way I can use it with the omd ? I tried but couldn't figure how.

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Quick question about the Yongnuo 565 and 568:

Does the AF assist beam work in manual mode with the OM-D (or any :43: camera in Manual mode, for that matter)? What about the modeling light?

Thanks in advance!

19. homebrewdude

homebrewdude Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Are these TTL with the Olympus?

20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    No, manual only.