Yongnuo 603c MKii and OM-D EM10 Mii

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Saledolce, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    I believe this thread belongs to "lighting", but if I'm wrong I kindly ask to the moderators to place it into the most appropriate place.

I purchased two Y603cMii to play a little bit with a Nissin speedlight I have, I picked the Canon version, and I selected the Mii because apparently they should work with OMD.... but they don't.

I'm opening this thread 50% to try looking for a solution, and 50% to warn others evaluating the same triggers. It's just 28 bucks, but flushing em down the toilet is a bad idea. Buy something fun instead, or drink good refreshing beer.

The story so far:
    I configured the triggers according to the instructions, i can trigger the Nissin correctly by using the test button on the transmitter. This means that they are on the right channel, they are properly configured, the batteries are charged, and the flash is correctly placed in M position.

Once I place this guy on the OMD hotshoe, nothing happens. The picture is regularly taken, and nothing is triggered. No light switches on, it just sleeps over there.

I'm not alone

I found evidence on the internet of other similar situations, no one seems to have found a solution.

- one video on youtube

- one topic on DPreview
    RF-603II and Olympus not firing?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

So what?
    So nothing, the Yongnuos are just going to be dumped soon. I'll play with it a bit more, google a bit more, post here if I find something. Just wanted to leave a clear indication of this apparently nonsense issue on mu-43 for future reference.

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Make sure the on-camera unit is switched to "TX", not "TRX". You have to force it to be in transmit mode. This was why the RF-603 (MkI) units never worked on MFT--they autoswitched into transmitter-mode based on a Canon/Nikon signal the MFT hotshoe never delivered.

The other main issue with the Canon versions is fitting forward enough on the hotshoe for the sync pin on the foot to be touching the sync contact on the hotshoe (they're the ones in the middle of the "square"). Without this contact, there's no communication of the "fire" signal. The plate seems to be a little thicker than some MFT hotshoes are. The Nikon version actually seems to be a better fit for some folks. But I will also say I got a pair of Canon RF-603IIs and when I tested them, they worked fine on my GX-7. I returned them, because the specs had erroneously reported that the PC port on them could be used as input as well as output (they're output only), and I needed that function. But they worked fine to fire an off-camera flash.

But. I'd say return them, get a refund, and then do some research into Nissin Air, Cactus V6II and Godox X triggers. :) These three companies are offering triggering systems that work with MFT's HSS/TTL, so you're not limited to manual-only triggering.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    I bought it on aliexpress from a chinese seller, I think the cost to send it back would be roughly the value of the triggers. I can maybe try selling them on ebay, after summer I'll probably buy a Godox speedlite and a Godox trigger....I think you are right, the problem is with the contact on the hotshoe: the flash icon in the camera is greyed, I think the camera perceives no contact whatsoever ...

4. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, for me, after getting burned on an eBay sale, I took to buying Yongnuo gear off Amazon and only Prime listings fulfilled by Amazon. :)

You may also want to check your power up order. On dpreview, someone says the order is:
    1. transmitter
    2. receiver
    3. flash
    4. camera
    Also, as I said in my post, make sure the on-camera unit's switch is set to TX, not TRX. The transceivers are in receiver mode by default, and only switch to transmitter mode if used on the dedicated system (in your case, Canon) or if the power switch is set to TX.