1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Yongnuo 560 II + OM-D

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Rafak88, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Rafak88

Rafak88 New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    I recently bought this speedlight and it works just fine with my OM-D.
    But I can't figure out why when I set to multi mode on the flash it won't strobe as it should.
    It triggers a single flash.
    Already tried different shutter speeds with no results.
    When in multi mode and pressing the pilot it strobes as it should but when I fire the camera it fires a single flash.

Am I missing something?
    Does anyone experiencing something like this?

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    What are your settings? I just tested it on top of my OM-D and it's working fine.

You have to set the -- x -- hz setting while in multi-mode. I'll be honest, I don't know what the numbers mean (I accidentally tossed my manual), but I have it at 1 x 10hz and it's syncing with every single frame with the OM-D in sequential (high speed continuous) mode.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    :D hehe

I tried that, Jim, but it's completely not working for me. Also I think that's for the first version, judging by the filename. IIRC the 560 mark 1 doesn't have the multi/stroboscopic mode the mark II has.

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ah, sorry, I thought you had the Mark II.

The original (I think) manual is here:

YN-560 Instruction Manual | Speedlights.net

but you need to click on the thumbnails to enlarge for viewing, copying, pasting, or printing. I clicked, then clicked again to magnify, then copied by right clicking, then pasted into Word and it printed out O.K. although the margins are, of course, farkled a bit because it pastes as an image not as text.

Anyhoo - take a peek if you need/want the manual. Every other link I found referred to the MK II model.

The Mk III was on my list until the price of the FL-600R dropped to $224 recently and I opted to go with that.

Regards,

Jim

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I have both the 560 and 560II's. The official yongnuo links all time out for me, but I found the 560II manual on scribd.com: [ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/104328236/Yongnuo-560-EX-II-Flash-User-Manual"]Yongnuo 560 EX II Flash User Manual[/ame]

It doesn't really help much - seems like a google translate translation and so the language is kind of vague. All I can gather is that the first number is supposed to change how many times the flash strobes (I think?) and the second number/setting is the 'frequency'.

All I know is that setting the second number to 10 syncs with the OM-D's sync speed (1/250th) perfectly, every time.

What's also really cool is that I've discovered the stroboscopic mode works with my Phottix Strato II radio triggers very well. I never had a reason to shoot anything with the stroboscopic mode, but now I've learnt I can take it off-camera - this changes things.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Manuals here on my google drive

8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    The --x is how many pulses you want per fire (you can set it to 1-100)
    The --hz is how quickly you want it to pulse in Hz (hertz: cycles/second). (again, you can set it from 1-100).

So, if you wanted it to fire 10 times, once per second, you'd set it to 10x1Hz. If you wanted it to fire 10 times, at 20 cycles/second, then 10x20Hz.

If your first number is 1, you'll only get the single fire.

BTW, your flash can only handle so much heat from repeated bursts. If you set MULTI mode at a high power level with a very fast cycling time and very long bursts, then you're just asking for thermal shutdown. Use logic, here, and make your demands relatively reasonable. 100x100Hz at full power is not reasonable.

One more link for the manual, just in case, directly on the YN website (since Rob's link didn't work for me):
    http://yongnuo.com.cn/usermanual/pdf/YN5602y.pdf

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Thanks for the info. I will probably never use the multimode ever again. If not for this thread I would probably have never even touched it :)

10. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Never say never. :biggrin: You can get some interesting effects with it, and like 2nd curtain, while it may not be something you use all the time, knowing it's there can come in handy on occasion.