1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Yongnou YN-560 IV on EM-5 ii question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Jul 3, 2016.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Since one of the hot shoe pins on the EM-5 ii provides power for the small flash included with that camera, I'm wondering if it would cause a problem with the YN-560 IV flash units in Canon mount. The Canon pins line up with those on Olympus. If anyone has knowledge of this possible compatibility issue, please let me know. Thanks.

2. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I have 6 x YN-560 IV for my EM10 setup. They work fine directly on the camera so should be fine on EM-5ii, but it a big flash and becomes top heavy when placed directly on top. I use the controller which is much more manageable and have all flashes off camera. this allows me to control all flashes direct from the top of my camera.

Hope this helps

Phil

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Hi, Phil.

I know the other-brand flashes work fine on the older Oly bodies, but those bodies do not have the powered extra pin of the EM-5 ii. My concern is whether the power on that pin would damage the YN flashes. So far, no one seems to know. I have successfully used my Nikon-compatible radio triggers on the EM-5 ii, but they have pins that do not align with Oly. I was thinking about the Canon-compatible units because their pin locations match, but I am concerned about possible damage. I may just get the Nikon-YN's, but thought the Canon ones might be more generic with other add-ons.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    My apologies I did not appreciate there was a difference.

5. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    No apology necessary. This was a largely unmentioned change that lets the EM-5ii power the tiny included flash.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think you need to ask Olympus this question. They have been pretty responsive to emails.
    Try submitting a question here.
    Archived Products &gt E-M5 Mark II &gt Product Questions

7. dvcdude

dvcdude Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2016
    Dave McKenna
    The YN560 works fine with the EM5II. It is mostly recommended on this board that you get the Nikon version to use with Olympus cameras due to the pin arrangement. I use 2 of these off camera controlled by the YN560 TX. For $35 usd it is a bargain and controls multiple flashes. These are great flashes at a workaday price. When you drop a $70 flash it does not make you flinch as much as a $450 flash that looks and acts the same.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I remember seeing that recommendation for the Nikon version vs the Canon version. The TTL won't work on our cameras anyway, so they would only be used manually. Can someone explain why the Nikon version is preferable to ignorant me?

9. dvcdude

dvcdude Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2016
    Dave McKenna
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Thanks, Partington gave a lot of information, including this. Simple is good.

What cameras will this work with?
    Yongnuo have produced the YN560-IV with a single pin on the hotshoe, giving it maximum compatibility with just about anything that has a hotshoe option. I’ve personally tested both the YN560-IV and YN560-TX on Canon DSLRs (several), Panasonic GH4 & Olympus EM1 (both micro-four-thirds cameras).
    If you’re on a Micro-Four-Thirds (Olympus / Panasonic) or Sony system then check out my Nissin i40 review since this great little flash does have TTL capability on these systems. For Canon / Nikon check out the YN568EX-II review.

Update. I checked the Yongnuo website and although they have different selections for various cameras, including Olympus, I'm not at all sure that the models are any different. I think that's just there for reassurance. If all it has is a single center contact, it'll work with anything.
    Yongnuo YN-560 IV Flash Speedlite for Olympus E5, E3, E30, E300, E620, E520, E420, E450, E-P2, E-PL2, E-PL1 | www.eachshot.com
    Not sure about the 560 TX either.
    Yongnuo YN560-TX YN-560 TX Manual Flash Transmitter Controller for YN-560 III RF602/RF603/RF-603 II for Nikon | www.eachshot.com

Wish they would show the feet of the units.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014

Just some info I can share after using these units. The YN-560, as mentioned above, has only the center pin, so it will work on almost any camera. The TX unit, however, is available in units that have multiple pins to support TTL flash with other YN flash units on Nikon and Canon. I bought the Nikon-compatible 560-TX to avoid possible problems with my EM-5 ii and it works perfectly in manual mode with the YN-560's.

12. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Thanks dpswbab

this is excellent info.