1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

YN HSS flashes + triggers - would they work on EM1?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Timur, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I want to try a simple 1 flash off camera setup, with a flash in a softbox firing off the camera via wireless trigger. I've found few YN products that seem to fit the task, but question is - would such systems work on m43 cameras? For example, the YN-685 Speedlight seem to work wireless with a YYN-622C-TX E-TTL trigger without any other equipment needed, a two piece wireless system would be pretty cool to use, but this product doesn't have native m43 support, would it even fire on a m43 body? Or some functions would not work?

I've read few threads at dpreview where people made the YN-560IV + YN-560TX work on an olympus body, but unfortunately 560 doesn't support HSS speeds, which I want to try for portrait work.

Anyone has any experience building such lighting setups? Again, ideally I'd like to have a two piece system (flash + trigger) that can be controlled either from the camera or from the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

2. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    I've been looking around and I don't think any radio triggers / flashes work with HSS via radio.

(OK, maybe Aokatec AK-TTL, but that looks like a kludge.)

YN and everything else is pure manual settings and not HSS. (You can remotely set manual values with some setups.) But they do fire fine as the hot shoe is standard.

Your other options are wired to a compatible flash, or optical RC to a compatible flash.

3. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Mm, I think I'm misunderstanding something somewhere) Sorry for being a newb!) The YN flashes I was looking at does support HSS (up to 1/8000), and so is the trigger that I mentioned, at least on the Canon system:
    "The YN-622C-TX utilizes an LCD screen to display settings and allow users to make adjustments. On the device is also an AF assist beam to help in low-light conditions. Multiple sync modes are available for more specific needs or effects, including 1st and 2nd curtain sync. A high speed sync mode will help in bright lighting conditions and for stopping motion with a maximum speed of 1/8000 second. A built-in mini-USB port enables firmware updates to be installed, and the device runs on 2 AA batteries."

What I'm trying to understand is if this system setup will work on my EM1. Or I'm misunderstanding how this whole thing works?

As far as my research took me, for example the YN560tx with a YN560IV works wireless, where you can set any settings for the flash on the trigger (TX) and flash will fire when you click the shutter button, allowing for quick and easy settings changes without having to manually tweak flash settings. The YN685 and YN622C-TX combo should do the same, but with HSS.

4. skellington

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    It is my understanding that those features are only available for Canon or Nikon specific versions of the YN865 for use on Canon or Nikon bodies.

If they work on an Olympus at all, it will work only as a dumb flash like the YN560.

And with the YN560s, you can remotely adjust power (manually), but you don't get HSS or TTL.

5. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Thats too bad then.. I didn't realize mft was so limited in terms of affordable lighting. The system above costs around 150$, with the cheapest Olympus or panasonic flash alone costing at least double in I'm not mistaken. Sucks..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  6. skellington

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Well, the 560 works just like it does on a Canon or Nikon. And many people who do fancy off camera lighting setups prefer manual power control in any event.

But the latest wave of cheap Chinese flashes and triggers hasn't really made it to any of the second tier platforms (MFT, Sony, Pentax, Samsung, Fuji.)

(Although I did pick up a Promaster 7500 for Olympus for $20 recently; and with a cable, that will be a respectable and dirt cheap off-camera solution for a single flash.)

7. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    So what way can I build an off camera hss setup? Is it possible with manual control? I can run back and forth between camera and flash if I have to :)

8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Do you need the HSS speeds so you can shoot with wide apertures (and hence outdoors usually your shutter speed has to be fast)? If so, one option is to employ a neutral density filter to slow down your shutter enough to get you back into X-sync shutter speeds.

9. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    yes, that was the intention. I wanted to try the technique where a subject is lit but blurred background is fairly dark. I've seen few lessons on how to achieve that. Something like this basically: Dasha by Sean Archer - Photo 118486865 - 500px

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Looks to me that the darker background on that photo was achieved by shooting a dark background. :)
    Looks like the sun is behind the trees in the background, so in addition to the trees themselves being dark (as that side of them is in the shade), they are also casting long dark shadows on the ground in front of them darkening some of the grass and walkway as well. As you can see the bright parts of the background are still bright.

Edit: should also add that having the sun behind the model is also serving as the "hair light".

11. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I mean I guess it's the answer, and fairly affordable at that. Would 3 stop ND do the trick, or I need to darker? Say in a sunset light, sun no directly in the shot, keeping in mind that shutter speed has to be at 1/200, at 1.8 or even 1.4 with the panaleica and my samyang 85.

12. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I've used the YN-560 III plus the YN-560TX and it works a treat. It allows full control over the remote flashes but does not support high speed sync. As suggested above, if you're doing outdoor portraits, you may want to try using ND filters to get back into X-sync territory. BTW, I've used this setup on both my E-M10.1 and E-M5.1. The only problem I had was the extraneous pins on the YN560 TX made it difficult to mount the trigger on my E-M10. The model I used was made for Canon so I disassembled the foot and removed the unnecessary pins.

In the above scenario, you could find out what your exposure is, then see how many stops you would need to get the shutter speed back down into x-sync range. Order the ND filter accordingly.

13. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Maybe so on that particular photo, but I think what he's trying to simulate (if that's in fact how he achieved that) is this -
    The guy's setup is definitely very expensive, sure) I just liked the looked and wondered if it can be achieved on a budget, even if not perfectly. Maybe YN560 with a 3 or higher stop ND is the way to go in this situation. Do you know if the YN560TX trigger works as intended on mft bodies? meaning I can control flash settings wireless from the control unit?

14. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    You pretty much answered my question above lol, I should've refreshed the thread before posting) Ok then I might get the pair of YN560 and the YN560TX. I've never worked with flashes before, so that would be my first attempt. Do you think that look from the youtube link above is achievable with the pair of YN products and a ND? I already picked a nice inexpensive softbox that should work.

15. skellington

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    If you have a compatible flash, you can use a cable as well to do HSS.

What camera do you have? Any existing flashes?

16. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I use Olympus em1, no flashes apart from the little flash that came with it. I hear it can be used as an optical master to other flashes, but since it's not hss I guess it doesn't matter. With cable release - I'll have to attach it from flash to the camera (so camera is connected at all times)? And control the flash manually?

17. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I think it is possible. The question becomes "Is the flash powerful enough?". That can only be answered by trying it. This Adorama video touches on the subject though in this case, they're using studio strobes which I would assume is considerably more powerful than the Yongnuo units. Plus you'll be losing some light with the soft box.

18. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It would be tough. With manual flash work, the lens aperture controls how much of your flash's light lights up your main subject and the shutter speed changes how much of the light from the background you get. So if you setup your flash and camera to shoot a subject, once you get the flash power and the aperture to light up your foreground main subject, you can then change the shutter speed to adjust how much background exposure you get without effecting your subject's exposure.

Which is what he is doing in the video. He can darken the background by simply speeding up the shutter so less ambient light is captured while his model stay properly lit by the flash. Problem is, without an HSS setup, you can only speed up the shutter to the X Sync speed of your camera, which for m43 is usually in the neighborhood of about 1/250 depending on model. He was using a faster shutter speed than that with his ambient shots and for his flash shots was cranking the shutter up to 1/1000 or faster to achieve that effect. Since the point of the ND filter would be to slow down your shutter enough to be under the X-Sync speed of your camera, that would be as fast as you can go and therefore you couldn't darken the background any further through shutter speed changes.

19. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Mm, in the video, in the latter part, he mentions that his shutter speed with a nd9 filter is 1/160 (I guess he's not using an HSS light for that one). So I guess it's possible in the end. Although, it's at 2.8, my lenses are a bit faster (relative to our system). Maybe ND10 would slow the shutter speed enough to have it around 1/200 which is YN560's max sync speed.

20. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    EM1 can sync up to 1/320, but I think that's only with the Olympus flash, which is very expensive, and isn't that powerful..