YI Technology will announce a new MFT

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by panamike, Sep 13, 2016.

1. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I wonder what it'll be. My guess is it'll be something like that DJI camera that can/is mounted on a gimbal for drone use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    This is actually an exciting rumor. Their recent 4k action cam has all the makings of a gopro killer. I've been considering picking one up for my adventures. If they made a m4/3 action cam type thing I would be stoked.

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    It's said to be built around a Panasonic sensor, without knowing more I'd assume it being a Panasonic rebranded cam. Other Chinese brand has done similar things in the past, oh and Leica, also does that.

The YI Technology is a spinoff of the smartphone company Xiaomi, which has plenty of negative reviews here in China, the reason for its success is bragging its C/P value, then the actual product will hit the market over half year later, hunger marketing, false advertising, any way and every way that attracts lab rats customers. Recently the situation has become better as they have realised there are more competitions who not only offer better phones but also know how to advertise themselves with some elegance. Originally the peripheral products were also sold under the Xiaomi brand, however the brand image seems to have set in stone that's why they are now called YI. YI, about a year ago, released a cam that copies GoPro in every way but with worse lens performance, and sold them cheap, it even comes with bundled software and IIRC that allows you to de-fish the image. I don't want to buy anything from a unskilled copycat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Don't get me wrong, i'm not defending them in any way, but aren't Xiaomi's products not half bad? Sure, they copy products (apple primarily) but from what i've seen, their products get decent reviews. Some bad reviews here and there, but nothing major. I wouldn't know, i have one of their battery packs which is good, and i just ordered their budget smartphone for Ms Ramsey.

As far as YI goes, sure some of their ads can be a little pretentious. I guess that doesn't go for Samsung and Apple (/sarcasm)
    That said, their (Xiaomi/Yi) action cam gets solid reviews, their premium phones get solid reviews, they have a solid smart lightbulb (still a copy from Phillips), they have a drone coming out, and if i'm not mistaken they also announced an electric bike. Also, smartbands (that do get bad reviews), TV boxes, headphones and speakers, TVs etc. Seems like they have a plan to be an all out electronics company, not just phone/tablet copycat.

I did read that they have a bad reputation in China, is it bcs they are associated with cheap products or did people have bad experiences with Xiaomi/Yi products?

I am interested in seeing what they offer. My prediction is a PL or GF series clone at 60-70% of the price. If the first couple of copies don't spontaneously explode, i might get one as a cheap second body for smaller primes.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Judging by their other products, action or drone camera is highly likely:

yitechnology

7. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    There must be plenty of members on here that can remember Japan being an unskilled copy cat,i know i can remember saying i would never buy a Japanese motor bike or tv.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Xiaomi is a copycat, there is no denying that. But some of their products are copied by other chinese companies...

Truth be told, i'd like to see how a third party would make their version of a camera body. Nothing wrong with Olympus and Panasonic. But a little competition never killed anyone.

9. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    It's hard to say, not all of their products are bad, my father has a Xiaomi phone from two years ago (of course no phone from two years ago look good today), and my friend has on Xiaomi pad and the YI cam (Gopro style).

It's very likely for Xiaomi and YI to announce electronic products (they even have t-shirt, bags, water/air purifiers, etc.) with mind blowing prices, this friend of mine (who loves buying cheap) said to me "you don't buy it for whatever quality they are advertising because it's almost certainly not there, you buy it because it's cheap", that's what he said, I figured with cheap prices you don't really get your hopes up anyway. Xiaomi has now released several beautifully designed earphones with bad sound quality, but the way they advertise them makes you think they can beat every high-end one out there, things like this keep happening and people lose faith in this brand quickly. I'm not saying Xiaomi/YI is the only one company makes false advertisement, it just happens to be lying every single time, even their air purifier cheats-- it was discovered that it displayed air quality getting better while the plastic over the filter hadn't even been ripped off.

I just don't think after knowing all these it's still worth risking being lied to.

10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

True, murder is the uninhibited expertise of curiosity... :thumbup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Thanks for the information. Though i do like to save money, i'm also a firm believer in the pay once cry once philosophy. I'll see what the phone is like when it comes, Ms has been burned once with cheap chinese phone (Lenovo) so if i managed to buy a dud again, she's not gonna be happy. And i'll refrain from using their products. This just keeps reminding me of the iPhone 4 i had (used it for 2,5 years, then a family member for 2 years, restored it to factory settings and the phone was still great) and Xperia Z (had it for over 3 years, my kid sent it flying and kicking it down several times, apart from wifi slowing down and GPS not working it is still a great phone and works as new). Some companies just don't sacrifice those few $ on quality control.

If you don't mind me asking, what about their TVs? The specs are there, the prices are a killer, are they worth anything? Or are they breaking down immediately?

12. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Wow Lenovo, why am I not surprised! Xiaomi smartphone probably isn't the worst, but they did fake the sample cellphone photo with a telephoto moon shot in the past and they admitted it and removed the photo later. I guess that's not what you're asking lol.

Xiaomi TV I've no experience, but TBH I think it's worth trying. Unlike many other new born TV brands of the internet era in China (those I doubt you've heard of), it does something different. The newest Xiaomi TV separated the TV into a display panel with only one cord that connects to the other part of the combo, which is an interchangeable processing unit/soundbar/hub thing, as such will enable relatively cheaper upgrade to newer processing power/interfaces to enhance the TV without purchasing the most expensive part, the LCD panel, and by doing this the display panel is made slimmer and cables appear more organised. I have no confidence though if the colour accuracy is as good as advertised, many budget Chinese brand TVs (I have used a Skyworth & and now a Hisense in the bedroom and a Panasonic Plasma in the living room) fail in this field by oversaturating the image.

13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Not what i was asking, but good to know. That said, Microsoft, Apple and numerous other companies did the same exact thing if i recall correctly.

Yes, i've seen this two-part configuration and was curious as to why that is. Makes total sense. Regarding the quality of the panels, Xiaomi makes no mistake here and proudly exclaims that the panel is made by LG/Samsung. If i could get the price India/China has, i'd definitely buy one of the older models (something around $500). That's crazy low, even for Xiaomi

14. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I've seen 50/55 inches cost as low as about $330 in Carrefour here, so there must have been a lot of savings on materials, I believe xiaomi TV is better than that at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. obydd

obydd New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2016
    Spain
    Roberto
    I think we are loosing focus from the subject (I am sorry for the photographer's joke :D).

And the subject is that a new brand is betting for M4/3 format. This movement could move M4/3 towards we never dreamed... some kind of standard as VHS was for Video Home Systems (yes, the acronym was terribly well selected), I mean.

And VHS never was the better system, but it had the better price/quality ratio. Nobody says that Xiaomi is Apple here. But... well, Let me dream ;)