Yi M1 with 12-40 & 42.5mm $209 (USA)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
If it comes with at least a year warranty that you could claim without trouble it could make a worthwile toy for a year or so.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I ended up getting this.

The later firmware updates have resolved some of the bigger issues, and for me this is basically an extremely inexpensive body, an autofocus portrait lens, and a way to get my wife into the same system as me so that we can share lenses for travelling. Right now, she uses a Samsung NX210 kit. This body is basically an identical form factor to that one.

I find I haven't been using my old Super Takumar 50/1.4 that much. I just can't be assed to manual focus fast primes that much any more, at least if I'm not shooting film (which has its own charm). A desperately inexpensive 42.5mm/1.8 (that has a close-focus option) will be interesting for a lark, I think.

I don't have super high expectations, but I'm curious about the 20MP IMX269 sensor, particularly for astrophotography, since it avoids the purple dark current noise that is so problematic on my GX7. I know what I'm getting into going in, and I never use C-AF, so the performance on that front is also no issue for me.

Worst comes to worst, at such a preposterously low price, it should be easy enough to re-sell locally at parity or a modest loss.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Wow. I'm very tempted, but a brand new GX-85 with 2 lenses is only $500 now...
No denying the GX85 is a better camera, but an almost $300 difference is obviously non-trivial when you're talking at this level. And it also depends whether you're interested in a tele-zoom or a fast portrait prime, and I wanted the latter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom