Yi M1 m4/3 with 12-40 kit lens for $150 new

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I'm in the US later this week so was sorely tempted. But, I really don't need another m43 camera or a 12-40 lens! It's a great deal, but I'd only be buying to secure the bargain - I don't need it.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
I thought about it because it would offer a small gx850 sized second body with 20mp, but then the wife declined so that was that.

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular
Read amazon reviews. People complaining you can’t update the firmware and other issues (I forget the other issue).

Real Name
Jim R
My main issues are no jpeg adjustments for NR/saturation/contrast and slow AF. Therefore ideal for manual focus using peaking & zoom, and raw±jpeg shooting. For that you get a mu43 camera that can power continuously via microUSB, wifi/bluetooth, 20Mpix on the cheap and interval shooting, plus 4k (low bps/big crop!) and other basics (but IS only via lenses with physical OIS switches). Whether that adds up plus or minus is up to each user, especially with such a price.

Note that the 12-40mm lens isn't a particularly special lens except that it's far better corrected than many big-name :mu43: lenses! The camera does no distortion/aberration adjustments that I can determine, so the lens design is 'forced' to perform better as is. The coating is less impressive in my tests, but when I finally buy a 49mm hood overall performance should be quite good.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
I wouldn't dream of using it as my only camera on a trip where I knew I wanted to take photos, but basically any 16mp, and some 12mp m43 bodies will set you back $200+ used, and they're not all this compact nor light. It seems like a good price. It's no gm1 or gm5, but it's less than 1/3 the price.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I find the Leica-ish design cues interesting, and that's damn cheap for 20 Mpix. But the lack of controls kills it for me. I don't need a p&s.
Plus, I checked, I can buy on Amazon USA and deliver to France, but shipping and import fees are $47.34 on top of the $150 price. I can find a lightly used E-M10 mk II for not much more. Pass.

M.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm slightly interested in a minimalist second body to mount a 25 or 45mm prime on to pair with my 12-100+g9. I would pretty much only use it to shoot portraits wide open, so manual controls won't get too much use in my use case. If I needed to stop down, I'd just use the 12-100. Not having a vf hump helps keep the package slim. I have a e-m5 that fails to fit a lot of small spaces/pockets due to the hump.

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
I considered getting one of these as a second body a few years ago after reading a pretty good review in "Shutterbug," back when it was still around. Then I read the less than steller user reviews online and thought I would be better off sticking with Olympus or Panasonic. Also, with this bargain basement price, I am wondering if the model was discontinued, the company went out of business, and/or they are just trying to get rid of them because of poor sales. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom