Yi M1 camera

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Luke, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I was just browsing Amazon and saw this.....I'm no longer in the mu43 ecosystem, but hadn't seen any mention of it here. Any of you guys or gals going to try one out?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4CKHW?psc=1

• Like Like x 1
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's got the IMX269 Sony sensor. Same as Panasonic GX8. Should have great image quality. I'm interested to see how good the 42.5mm f1.8 that is bundled for only $100 turns out to be.

Since the GM line seems a bit dead at the moment, maybe this is the closest thing to an updated mini-m4/3 compact that we are going to get?

• Like Like x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
  4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    One of the first things I did when I saw it was compare the weight and dimensions to the GM1 and GM5, and I wouldn't put them in the same size category (weight is closer, but I fear that's because the Yi is very plasticky).

Plus, I'm an optimist that the GM line isn't over, they're just waiting until the tech shrinks to fit a few more features in the same dimensions (better EVF, 20mp sensor, 4K, flip screen...?).

• Like Like x 2
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, I actually looked it up after making that comment and it isn't quite as small as it looks. It's closer to the E-PL7 in size.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Technically it's bundled for $200. It's only $100 if you opt not to grab the kit lens (in which case you pay $100 extra, but lose a lens...they don't seem to have a body-only option anywhere). Still...for $699 USD, you can have a 20 MP m4/3 body and two lenses, that's not bad at all...of course, contingent on IQ. Also worthy of note...the 42.5 seems to have SOME sort of macro capabilities...it'll be interesting to see how it does optically.

Also...it'll be interesting to see how cheap parts of it will get once resellers start breaking apart kits. With $699 USD for body and both lenses, it's perfectly possible that resellers (who might get a bulk deal) could sell the body for $399 and each of the lenses for $199 or $249 or thereabouts, which would put prices way below O45, or any of the 20 MP body prices.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I want a Yi!

Nowt else to say, really ...

edit : whaaaaagh! No possibility for an EVF!
    *blub*

Don't want one now. :(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lookmore

lookmore New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2016
    Even if IQ is good, I'm a bit hesitant about this. Two buttons only. And I'm already complaining that my E-PM1 only has 10 or so physical buttons? I'll wait for user reviews before getting excited. I understand the UI is touch-based which is not (yet fully) the case on Olympus cameras. But I'm not quite sure I'd like that.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I think the idea with this camera (and ones like it) is to claw back some of the market share that smartphones have taken away from digital cameras. But I do agree...I love my buttons, and would be very disappointed if we didn't have the option to buy cameras with lots of physical controls (especially customizable ones).

10. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

DPR has sample galleries from this camera up and it looks like you can't shoot raw+jpeg. It's either one or the other, which is a shame.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think it's too much for an unproven body+lenses. I am guessing the intended market for this is China and other Asian countries where the pricing is probably a lot more competitive with Panasonic and Olympus and may make sense for someone just getting into photography on the cheap.
    As far as GM line being discontinued, GF line is practically the same now, just without the viewfinder. Perhaps the build quality is not as nice but form factor is practically the same. I am still upset I don't gave an upgrade body to use that LVF2 viewfinder with :/ :) At least Olympus people have the EPL line .

12. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I have read and heard people discuss Xiaomi’s strategy, particularly their strategy in China. To start with, they sell a wide variety of electronic products, not just phones and tablets. They sell air purifiers, TVs, drones, Laptops, and a few other things.

Xiaomi Mi

Here’s how I understand their strategy:

When young people anywhere in the world move out and set up their own household, they often go to Ikea for furniture and other household items. At Ikea they know they can get reasonably nice things for their living space for a good price.

Xiaomi wants to be like Ikea, but for electronics. Young people who want nice electronic things but don’t have a lot of money to spend can buy all of their electronics from Xiaomi, aka Mi. This strategy is actually starting to work in China. At this time it’s not as easy to buy all of the various Mi products outside of China, but they keep working on that.

The Yi camera, then, is made for young people, especially those in China, who want a better camera than the one in their Mi phone. They already have a couple of other Mi products in their home, and Mi wants to keep them in their ecosystem when they decide to buy a camera.

I’m sure Xiaomi will be happy if people who do not own any other Mi products (like most of us) buy the camera, but I think they will judge the success or failure of this product by how many of their existing customers buy it. If the camera can lure new customers into buying other Xiaomi products, that would also be seen as a success. Note that this is a different way of measuring success than Olympus or Panasonic uses.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Xiaomi just started selling their AndroidTV boxes outside of China, now in English.
    They have some limitations (as do all such TV devices), but they are only about $75USD.

14. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
  15. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I was curious and I looked up reviews on Xiaomi phones. They were very positive.

16. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Reviewed on DPR now:
    New kid on the block: YI M1 review

It's autofocus seems to need some improvement.

• Informative Informative x 1