Yi 42.5mm f/1.8 lens for USD 68 (free shipping)

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
YI 42.5MM F1.8 AF

I was uncertain about this lens - but as the price fell to less than £40 GBP / $55 USD, I gave in and thought "what the heck" - it can't be that bad for this cost.

I now have had this this lens for 5 months - and it is wonderful
  • It came from China to England in about 2 weeks (pandemic notwithstanding)
  • Light in weight
  • Fast, reliable AF
  • Great Bokeh
  • Fabulous price
  • Is always being used !
    • some M4/3 lenses I have seem great - but just never make the cut when I load up a camera bag for a day out
Indeed - I was so overwhelmed that I straightway ordered a second one. Two reasons for this - relatives continually borrowing it and a hedge for the future - what if longevity isn't so good?

Everyone who has used my lens has gone "wow" at the images as they snap into focus. It doesn't mean the Lumix and Zuiko options aren't also good - they all give the "classic fast-aperture 85mm lens" equivalent feel - but this Yi certainly does not disappoint.

For the price of a good legacy film era manual focus Pentax SMC 50mm F1.7 or Zuko 50mm F1.8 or Nikon 50mm F1.8 and an adapter from eBay (I have all) this lens is a runaway winner.

Like all M4/3 lenses - it benefits from a long enough lenshood to improve contrast and protect the lens. I usually favour those 3 position rubber ones - but this lens actually fits beuatifully inside a reversed metal telephoto hood in my bag - giving great physical protection to its plastic body.

Who made this lens? The complex world of Chinese manufacturing means we may never know (the Meitu lenses were actually made by Panasonic) but in terms of cost-effect this is a great buy. What readers will want to hear is if this view is shared by other users - because variabiity and reliability is important as well. For the record - both my copies are identical on my home testing for IQ; so that's a series of two then for you! Perhaps other MU43 could share their experiences?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom