Yi 42.5mm f/1.8 lens for USD 68 (free shipping)

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Edit: Lens seems to be on sale for USD 68 now. Thanks to @Sleepy Capybara !

Found this offer through suggestions:
US $78.36 25% OFF|For YI M1 42.5mm F1.8 Fixed Camera Lens for Panasonic GF6 GF7 GF8 GF9 GF10 GX85 G85 For Olympus E PL9 E M5 Mark II E M10 Mark II-in Len Parts from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Could be a good option for portraits if you don't have such a lens yet.
Some reviews on youtube compare it to the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, and say it gives about the same image quality.
The advantage of the Yi lens is that it offers a dedicated "macro" shooting mode and then can get much closer.
The disadvantage of the Yi lens is the handling. It's larger (though same weight), and the focusing ring is fake (so you'll only get AF, no MF).

Last edited:

JediCheese

Mu-43 Regular
Anyone buy one? I'm thinking about it but aliexpress always gives me worries about fakes on equipment like this.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Anyone buy one? I'm thinking about it but aliexpress always gives me worries about fakes on equipment like this.
Yi is a Chinese brand and this is a niche product (and already cheap) so you're not going to get a fake there. I always check reviews as well. FWIW, I have probably ordered hundreds of articles, including smartphones for the family, on AliExpress and I've never had (big) problems. The biggest annoyance I've had was maybe an article taking a long time to ship or something bring sent in the wrong color. :)

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Would not be the first time the copy is better than the original!! :D

On almost all occasions, the delivery from aliExpress has been excruciatingly long and I almost forgot I ordered stuff from them only to be reminded one fine day because it showed up in my mailbox. My recent few items have taken close to 2 months but were all dirt cheap anyway so I couldn't care less. I just might bite on this!

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just ordered one. @Amol Thorat I'll update on the shipping time! Gonna do a shootout vs. the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, then sell the loser! :cool:

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Took exactly 9 days from ordering to arrive at local customs.
All further shipping time will depend on your country's customs, I guess. In my case I expect to get the lens sometime next week.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Got the lens two weeks (14 days) after ordering. Will post a non-serious, non-scientific shootout soon! ;)

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
YI Xiaoyi 42.5mm F1.8: Time to take seriously -
Now selling in the UK at £64.39 + £6.99 postage on Ali Express /
And in the USA for << $ USD 100

At this price point, cheaper than secondhand Lumix or Olympus M4/3 42.5mm M4/3 lenses, it becomes a serious contender for a fast 85mm equivalent portrait lens in an amateur photographer's camera bag.

For this role it would not need to have the greatest contrast - nor sharpness at the field edges. Instead we need to know about central field sharpness, colour shifts, distortion and especially how the bokeh, the out-of-focus highlights, are rendered.

Most of us have a "legacy" film-era 50mm F1.4 to 1.8 manual focus lens for this role - unless you are a professional or have deep pockets this combination work well - however....the addition of autofocus could help in portrait settings at F1.8 where the depth of focus is so shallow for a head and shoulders portrait. At 1 metere distance, for a typical full face picture, the depth of field will be only 3cm with a 42.5mm lens on M4/3.

If a shallow DoF does not bother you - the Lumix and Olympus kit zooms are good for the portrait role at 42-45mm where aperture is F5.6 AND you get 2-5 stops of image stabilization as well.

If AF does not bother you - then the adapted lens forum has an encyclopaedia of advice on what to do; personally I like the SMC Pentax 50mm F1.7 & PK to M4/3 manual adapter or the Fujian/Cheecar M4/3 mount Manual Focus 50mm F1.8 (both with good lens hoods to control flare).
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 09.03.35.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So can anyone report for the YI Xiaoyi 42.5mm F1.8:
[1] build quality and connectivity to Panasonic and Olympus M4/3 bodies - does lens data for example get transferred in the EXIF data? Can it be used in Aperture Priority?
[2] AF accuracy and speed - the only real advantage over a legacy "standard" lens
[3] Image quality - especially bokeh smoothness
[4] durability - has someone used this lens frequently over several months or years
[5] variability - is there significant difference between individual copies
[6] Macro - how good is the "bonus" of the Macro lens setting?

Many Thanks in anticipation - Paul C

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That reads like a news or blog article! :)

I tried to answer some of your questions for points 1, 2, 3, and 6 at my shootout which I posted above, if you haven't seen it.

I haven't mentioned it before, but EXIF data is correctly reported to the camera and stored in the files. The disadvantage to, say, the Olympus 45mm is that raw developers like DxO Photolab will not have correction profiles for the Yi lens.

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
That reads like a news or blog article! :)

I tried to answer some of your questions for points 1, 2, 3, and 6 at my shootout which I posted above, if you haven't seen it.

I haven't mentioned it before, but EXIF data is correctly reported to the camera and stored in the files. The disadvantage to, say, the Olympus 45mm is that raw developers like DxO Photolab will not have correction profiles for the Yi lens.

Thanks so much IBD - and a such high speed reply too !

Interestingly - I came here to find out more about this lens precisely because DXO has now listed this lens on its website - so lets hope this means that an automatic correction profile will follow soon.

My guess however - is that the likely use of the Yi 42.5mm F1.8 AF iin portraiture is such that DXO corrections such as corner CA and vignetting won't matter much but could be crucial for the macro role of this lens.

Many thanks - Paul

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran

Latest threads

Top Bottom