1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Yet another trip to Europe!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mtipton1064, Jul 19, 2014.

1. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    In the latter part of September my wife and I will be traveling to Europe for two weeks. We plan on spending a night in Amsterdam coming and going then four nights each in Budapest, Vienna, and Munich. We will fly into Budapest and then take the train from Budapest to Vienna and from Vienna to Munich. And then fly from Munich to Amsterdam and then back to the USA. We are planning to check one large(ish) wheeled bag each and to have a carry on each. In my case the carry on will be either a messenger bag or a rucksack. I am inclined to the rucksack as it is more comfortable on a day to day basis. I plan to take my EM 5 with Oly 14-150 lens as the general purpose walk around lens and a Sigma 2.8 19mm for indoor use. I may also take the Oly 12-50 in case of wet weather. This is not a photo trip per se, but my wife caters to my whims!

Are there any suggestions as to special things to see and do in those cities? In 2011 we went to Verona and Norway. In Verona we really enjoyed sitting at table on the piazza and watching the people!

Thanks,

Mike T.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

2. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Munich - BMW Museum, Neuschwanstein Castle, Augustiner brewhouse... Also, there are lots of other beautiful churches and building around Munich. May also be worth a day trip to Salzburg if you have a car.

Budapest - the Gellert baths, the Buda Castle district, Parliament house area, and the Danube in between the two... and if you are in to partying/clubbing, the incredible number of awesome nightclubs - Hello Baby is a good start.

Make sure you have at least one Kurtosh form the Castle, a fresh one, they are SENSATIONAL. It has to be the one on the inside of the castle area itself, it's a fairly small stall, but been there for decades, I go there religiously every time I go to Budapest.

Vienna -Prater, Stefansdom, anywhere that serves Vienna Schnitzel, the pastry shops littering the streets, there are also a set of subterranean caves that you can check out on a boat ride, can't remember the name, but it was quite beautiful.

Also, what are you into? You're interests will shape my suggestions...

Z...

3. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I'll second the recommendations of the learned traveler above,

It seems as if this is a city trip, i.e., not a lot of mountains or the Med, so your lens choices should be quite adequate. I'm assuming that you're likely to be doing street, museum and church venues if you're like the general run of tourists (among whom I include my wife and myself).

I can't comment on Munich since I've only been there a few hours for a beer hall visit probably more than 50 years ago but we've visited Budapest, Vienna and Amsterdam relatively recently.

First, Vienna. The Schonbrunn (sp?) Palace (where the royalty used to hang out during warm summer months and some strudel and a demo of its creation pocess are included in a recommended short tour. The State art museum is also fairly close to the Schonbrunn as I recall. If you are a serious or even half serious film buff you can take the 3rd Man tour of several of that film's locations and precede or follow that up with a trip on the big ferris wheel (in the Prater Park an easily reached by tram or bus) featured in the film (picked by the British Film Institute as the greatest British film of the 20th Century). Central Vienna is pretty compact and has a pleasant all-pedestrian main street that crosses the area from one edge of the Inner Ring to the other. The landmark St. Stephen's Church is on the street and enjoys some great views from its roof.

Budapest is worth spending time in both Buda and Peste. It's a city still in some repair from WWII and very conscious of its occupation by the Russians after the war. An interesting visit for a history aficianado is the House of Terror, a building which housed the German Gestapo during the war and after the war it housed the Russian NKVD, the MVD, KGB, etc, and nothing really changed about its purpose. It is now a museum with a scaffold in the cellar and thousands of photographs of persons who during both the German and Russian regimes entered the building--and never left it. It's a grim, but fascinaing piece of history. There are also great public swimming pools at the end of the street on which the House of Terror is located.

Amsterdam. Watch out for bicycles. Really. If you're there for longer than just a couple of evenings, the Rijksmuseum and the Anne Frank Huis would be my priority recommendations.

4. mtipton1064

mtipton1064 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Hi Zee,

Thanks for the feedback! We are of an age (67) and were never much into night clubbing! My wife is a serious gardener and very interested in gardens of all sorts. We are both interested in history (in my case especially military history) and scenery. Food (of course). The pastry shops sound great. The BMW museum is something that was not on my radar but sounds very interesting. In Munich we do plan a day tour for Mad Ludvig's castles. And perhaps the Romantic Road. It turns out, much to my surprise that we will be in Munich during Oktoberfest!

We rather enjoy just wandering around and absorbing the ambience of a place.

Thanks!

Mike T.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

5. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

OK, in that case, CERTAINLY check out the Gellert baths in Budapest, they are a wonderful place to relax. Budapest also has some great coffee shops and pastry shops, a few of which sit on the Danube, and can be a great place for people watching. Mariahilfer Strasse (the main street in Vienna), also has many cafes with seats arranged to encourage people watching. Perhaps a bit overly so, for my tastes... The castle and parliament areas suggestions still stand, and ther eis also a wonderful Belgian pub under the castle that has something like 150 beers available, perhaps more, should you find yourself feeling parched after touring the castle.

I also agree with ohun in checking out Schonbrunn, in fact, I'm pretty sure there were a few palaces in Vienna. Public transport is also excellent. Just make sure to get a day pass (or perhaps a 7 day pass if it works out cheaper), rather than individual tickets.

I'll get in touch with my Munich friends and see what else they can suggest. I'm actually hoping to be in Munich and Budapest about the same time as you, with my significant other and a good friend - I'm quite looking forward to it. I was there last year for my Grandfather's 100th birthday.

Z...

6. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    in vienna you just stick to the 1st district ("innerstadt") which is quite compact and utterly walkable. specifically the western edge of it along dr karl renner ring street, which passes by opera houses, imperial castle, castle garden, museums, peoples garden, parlament, city hall (my favorite), and university.

meter for meter i think its the prettiest place in the world

nearby, next to the stunning belvedere palace, is the university's botanical garden. free entrance
    http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/hbv/index.php?nav=&lang=en

plenty of green spaces, parks. day trips like nearby to the vienna forrest..... but theres enough to see and take in just in the city itself. although i do recommend taking a bus up to grinzing village in the foothills. get to walk through vineyards, visit all the small local wineries, see the quiet side of the city and a nice view of vienna itself

7. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I'll just add one other suggestion to those you have already received for Budapest: Kerepesi Cemetery. As well as its historic interest, it is a beautiful place for a peaceful stroll.