pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I promised in my previous pet photography thread I'd share stuff from my latest photo shoot "soon enough". I think that time has come now. :D

So... This time I had a two day event but since we only had about 10 days to promote the event I only got the same amount of customers as the week before in a one day event. But since the pet store owners asked me to come I couldn't say no even if I knew it was a bit risky with such a tight schedule.

I had just received a new grey paper roll background and was anxious to try it out. Even though it is solid grey with no texture it can easily be turned into something totally different and add so much variety to the shoots. Based on the results I got, I'm pretty sure this is my "go to" choice from now on if the shooting location is wide enough for it.

The gear I used was (once again) my E-M5III & M.Zuiko 12-100mm f/4 PRO and lighting was done with two Godox AD200s (one above the model with a shoot-through umbrella and one next to the camera with a Sundisc softbox). So simple yet efficient.

I also claimed in the previous thread I "took it to the next level" with this photo shoot so I guess I'll have to prove it then... So here we go. ;)

51250324136_78e2e2507b_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Hertta - EM534887 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Hertta, a 5.5-year-old Welsh Corgi Cardigan.

51253115774_855beb9af1_h.jpg
Täplä - EM534926 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Täplä, a 12.5-year-old Fox Terrier.

51255567005_957d4aeed8_h.jpg
Juju - EM535037 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Juju, a 9-month-old Labrador Retriever.

51253795507_1fdcff19c3_h.jpg
Juju - EM535104 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Juju (same backdrop, just added Godox TT6850 to light up the backdrop).

51256564728_8e5213cb28_h.jpg
Kevin - EM535187 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Kevin, a 1.5-year-old Lancashire Heeler. This is my absolute favorite from this shoot and highlights how versatile the grey backdrop really is. Just add some texture on it and voilá: something totally different!

51259588180_ae8f494c81_h.jpg
Selma - EM535271 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Selma, a 3-year-old Beagle.

51260166992_7377fe8d6a_h.jpg
Selma - EM535393 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Selma. And once again, a quick fix in Photoshop and we seem to have yet another new backdrop (even if she's not impressed...). ;)

51267372346_bfc38eec63_h.jpg
Hope - EM535425 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Hope, a mixed breed (Chihuahua & Prague Ratter). Maybe not the most elegant photo but doesn't he look like someone from Ice Age? I just had to show this one. :D

51268676092_ac2b336c28_h.jpg
Katnis & Hope - EM535494 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Katnis & Hope. Katnis is a 2-year-old Abessinian.

51270628712_7e3e1f0d78_h.jpg
EM535533 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Unfortunately I don't have the name for this model as he didn't have a booking and I had some extra time so I asked if I could grab a few photos briefly.

51274565640_267365f307_h.jpg
Skye - EM535577 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Skye, A 4-year-old Bengal cat. Just look at those eyes! So beautiful.

51274565615_c025337ba5_h.jpg
Noita & Skye - EM535608 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Noita & Skye. Noita (ie. "Witch" in English btw) is a Chihuahua.

51275681061_1d21362131_h.jpg
Grete - EM535662 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Grete, a 6-year-old Ratonero Bodeguero Andaluz (Andalucian Ratter?).

51276412589_c3838ad1c7_h.jpg
Grete - EM535668 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
Grete.

And if this wasn't enough, more text & photos can be found on my blog: https://teemup.net/blog/lemmikkikuvauspaiva-mustissa-ja-mirrissa-2021-05/

So what do you guys think - should I use this paper roll backdrop in the future or go back to the fabric ones with texture? And feel free to give constructive feedback as I still have a lot to learn! :jedi:

PS. And I'm also organizing my next pet photography event in less than 3 weeks. This time it's in the village I grew up in and already have secured 7 bookings (out of 10). So it looks like I'm getting a handful of new models to shoot soon. :)

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
With some of those captures I don't even see the background.
I think the personality of the pet over rides the background.

The only one I thought was a bit odd was the white background as it did not seem to anchor the pet if that makes sense, it sort of looked floating compared to the others.

Perhaps a slightly more mottly background for something like the last shot. That colour suited the dog but the head sort blended in a bit. But I tend to like dark backgrounds for this sort of thing so I am a bit biased.

I hope the shop features a few of your shots all the time to try and drum up some work long term.
Looking good, hope it turns out to be a good gig going forward.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
With some of those captures I don't even see the background.
I think the personality of the pet over rides the background.

The only one I thought was a bit odd was the white background as it did not seem to anchor the pet if that makes sense, it sort of looked floating compared to the others.

Perhaps a slightly more mottly background for something like the last shot. That colour suited the dog but the head sort blended in a bit. But I tend to like dark backgrounds for this sort of thing so I am a bit biased.

I hope the shop features a few of your shots all the time to try and drum up some work long term.
Looking good, hope it turns out to be a good gig going forward.
Thank you!

I agree the white background makes the photo look a bit like "copy-paste". It was more of a test to see if I could fake it and also therefore added it here. It's not a "top shot" but wanted to see how people would react to it. So you kind of proved me that it doesn't work as it should. It needs work (or an actual white backdrop).

Regarding the last one... I did initially edit it differently but then figured I liked it more when I faked a colored rim light (as if I were lighting the dog from behind with a magenta color gel). I guess I need to do (it) better next time. :thumbsup:

itisasitis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Henrik
Excellent work! The clean background really works better. The first one with Selma and Täplä are the best examples I think. The (too) textured background together with all the texture in the fur really created texture overload.

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Amazing images, very inspiring ... So much that I should consider doing it as well. I love pets more then anything and they don't give me as much anxiety as humans and I feel more comfortable posing pets. I don't have the light and the backdrops yet but I can work on it. It would be nice and very helpful to have a medium term project like this to focus on.

On the backdrop grey set I love it a lot and it makes the images pop with personality.

grinsaround

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Glenn
All are very, very nice! I agree though in that the grey set makes for a more intimate attention draw. Juju is a fine looking lab too! I have the yellow version about the same age. I don’t think there is a more loyal and attentive breed. Just look at that face.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow man. Those are really awesome.
Those will likely be the best photos owners will ever get of their pets. And that’s important. Good work.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Amazing images, very inspiring ... So much that I should consider doing it as well. I love pets more then anything and they don't give me as much anxiety as humans and I feel more comfortable posing pets. I don't have the light and the backdrops yet but I can work on it. It would be nice and very helpful to have a medium term project like this to focus on.

On the backdrop grey set I love it a lot and it makes the images pop with personality.
Thanks! Go for it! I didn't have much when I started. I think my first backdrops were plain sheets or curtains and only got 2 small speedlites but I've slowly gotten more and more stuff to make the photo shoots easier. And I can definitely relate to the "pets are more comfortable to pose" thing. :D

All are very, very nice! I agree though in that the grey set makes for a more intimate attention draw. Juju is a fine looking lab too! I have the yellow version about the same age. I don’t think there is a more loyal and attentive breed. Just look at that face.
Thank you! Yes, the lab was a pleasure to shoot. Great personality. :)

Wow man. Those are really awesome.
Those will likely be the best photos owners will ever get of their pets. And that’s important. Good work.
Wow. I don't really know what to say... Thank you! Means a lot. :cloud-9-039:

Latest threads

Top Bottom